Old Sears Suburban SS12

/ Old Sears Suburban SS12
OK, that makes sense. I will check that when I get home tonight. Thank you, I wasn't able to find a replacement switch last night so this will allow me to get that part of it back in tonight.

Yeah, got the ignition switch reinstalled tonight. I installed jumper wires in place of the two safety switchs and got the starter turning over with the ignition switch. Now I need to pull the cover back off the engine and hook the "M" wire from the ignition switch to the magneto somewhere. Not sure where that is, but won't know until I pull that cover. I was also able to get the motor turning over a bit tonight. Wasn't necessarily a bad thing to turn the motor over a bit w/o a spark or fuel since it has been sitting so long.

I stopped last night and picked a battery up for this tractor.
I've also been looking at the manuals and stuff for the engine and tractor that I have found online and folks have sent me. The wire that I thought went to the magneto actually goes to the side of the block (which is where I thought it went originally based on where it was and such). I hooked that wire back up and the battery. No spark. Pulled the plug wire and I can't see where it is trying to jump to the plug.
Not sure where to go at this point. I think I remember Dad telling me he had the magneto tested and it was good, but I can't swear to that. I'm not sure where to from here. I think there is a gap on flywheel that can be adjuster to the mag. Maybe that is what I need to do? Not real sure where to go next. Maybe pull the mag and take it to the local mower shop and have it tested again....

Funny, talking to Mom last night, I guess Dad had mentioned to her that something was broke and he couldn't get one anywhere, but that is OK, he would make one. That was good to hear, even though he was starting to go down hill, he knew what was going on and what he needed to do to fix stuff. That is partially why this tractor was in the shape it was, he still knew how to take it apart, just couldn't remember how to put it all back together.

/ Old Sears Suburban SS12 #14  
I am guessing with the age of the tractor that you might have points in the ignition circuit. Tr pulling the wire you attached to the block and check spark again. Check coil/flywheel gap. clean the points if you have them.

I worked on it a bit tonight. I pulled the flywheel and got to looking real close at the pulse transformer. I notice the wire coming from the magneto had been pinched at some time. I pulled it off and cut the end of the wire and soldered a new end on it along with a new connector that went on to the magneto. I then also sanded the magnets and got them clean. I look how to adjust the plate on the flywheel, but when you loosen the screws they just back out without moving the plate. I put it back together being optimistic. Turned the engine over and it didn't try to start. I pulled the plug and ground the edge of it to the engine. I can see a blue spark, just not sure how strong it really should be, but this one was decent. I'm going to stop and get a new plug tomorrow and put some more gas in it and give it a try. I'm also going to look and see how and if they can be to adjust the valves. I'm not sure if this has timing that can be adjusted or not, I don't really see how it can be as it driven off a woodward key in a groove on the crankshaft corresponding to a groove on the flywheel.

/ Old Sears Suburban SS12 #16  
It's a woodruff key BTW.

Gap the magnets to the coil with a business card between the magnets and the coil assembly. Loosen the bolts holding the coil assembly with the business card between and slide the coil until the business card just slips out and tighten the coil. That's the correct coil to magnet gap.

I'd give the whole thing (tractor) a bath in degreaser and pressure wash it before fiddling with it. I hate greasy grimy stuff to work on.

That's my regimen prior to working on anything used.... clean it first.

It's a woodruff key BTW.

Gap the magnets to the coil with a business card between the magnets and the coil assembly. Loosen the bolts holding the coil assembly with the business card between and slide the coil until the business card just slips out and tighten the coil. That's the correct coil to magnet gap.

I'd give the whole thing (tractor) a bath in degreaser and pressure wash it before fiddling with it. I hate greasy grimy stuff to work on.

That's my regimen prior to working on anything used.... clean it first.

Thanks on the woodruff, thats what happens when you are yelling at kids while you are trying to post on the internet.:D

I'm still trying to figure out how adjust this gap. I've attached a picture of the mag, the flywheel then goes over top this and completely covers it, so I'm not sure how to tighten it down. I don't think I could even be able to get a business card behind the flywheel and up to the mag area.

Attachments

• Engine.jpg
    Engine.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 1,053
New plug is in, but still no start. Really strong spark now. Pulled the new plug it didn't appear to be getting fuel. Pulled the carb. It is dry as a bone. I disconnected the carb from the fuel pump and turned the engine over. The fuel pump appears to be moving fuel well. A lot of fuel came out with just a couple of revs of the motor. So getting ready to read the manual on the carb.

**&(*^&*&^*&(&)&(*) grumble grumble, I came home tonight and instead of going in and changing close and looking at the diagram, I walked to the barn and started messing with the carb. I broke the high speed screw. :mad: Fortunately I found 1 new one on ebay. $13 & free S&H. Also ened up ordering a new drain valve for the bowl and a new O-ring for it. Spent a total of about $20. After I order those I found a NOS carb for $60.:mad: Should've just ordered that. If these parts don't work I will order it, the guy had 5 of them. I don't see all 5 of them selling before Monday or Tuesday.

OK, a little bit of an update on this. I was able to find the part I broke for the carb. Even managed to get a rebuild get for it. I cleaned the carb and can get air to go through everything and everything moves free. I replaced all of the old gaskets and such and replaced with the new ones. Still no start. Even spraying ether in in, still no start and doesn't even try. I bought a compression tester. It is building 120 PSI when I crank. So now I'm kind of stuck, not sure where to go.

In short:
I've got good spark now
rebuilt carb
120 PSI on the cylinder
Still no start even with Ether