Changed motors NEED wiring HELP!

/ Changed motors NEED wiring HELP! #11  
Well your getting excellent advice & help from these fellas,cause you need to pinpoint what its doing &/or not doing correctly b4 you can/shld proceed! The art &/or science of good troubleshooting is to know the system, that being said, you shld at least know the basics or at least know how to use your tools & what to use,why & where! Once you know what items do what,how & why,it becomes much easier & simpler to trblsht/diagnose! Also a good wire diagram/shematic does wanders too, if you dont know where wires are supposed to be & what color,how can you possbly discern the problems? All that aside, If you have a voltmeter, all you really have to do is check for voltage here & there at the right places & at the rght times, like the guy said, about 14 volts while its running & about 12 when its off! If you check for volts,your checking for power! If there is no voltage where there is supposed to be,then your not getting power to that place/circuit/switch/relay/fuse/light etc!! It sounds a lot like a faulty or missing voltage regulator to me, a bad one will drain the batt really fast! Also check your stator & stator wires & stator field windings, check to see if any of the wires are getting hot while its running! Always check the easy,obvious stuff first, it will save you money a lot of times! I've seen car's whole elec system shut dwn & not take a jump start just from a corroded battery terminal(usually positive) ! Always disconnect the ground/negative term 1st & hook it up last! You know how the guy(s) said the mower shld run w/o the batt? Well,once your veh starts(tractor or car) , it really runs off the alternator(or generator) , the battery's most imp role is in starting/cranking power for starter & initial system voltage, from then on, the alternator takes over & also charges the batt! Newer cars have regulators built into the alternator(although still seperate inside) whereas older units had sep voltage regulators, & when you had a drastic change in charging(under or over charging) it was generally an indication of a bad voltg reg! Sometimes the batery wld be swollen/convex on one side & concave on the other! W/o the reg,the alternator is very simple, the reg is the "brain" of the charg systm & is moree sensitive & much more likely to be a culprit than the stator/alternator! With riding mowers, the vltg reg also serves as a "rectifier" which changes "DC"(direct current-ie 12-14volts) into A/C ( alternating current)(which is the opposite of an inverter,which changes "DC"currenttt into "A/C & if I'm not mistaken, the "coil" then "amplifies/multiplies" (makes voltage much higher) for ignition! It takes a lot more than 12-14 volts to fire the spark plug(s). If tou buy a gd multimeter( an electrcl meter which usually measures voltage;d/c & a/c , ohms(resistance) in diff levels(which can also be used to check for "Continuity", another way to see if power is getting thru so to speak, ie the circuit is unbroken & to check for Current/Amps in D/C mode only or amps/current in BOTH D/C & A/C! ( some will only measure in "D/C" bec it dsnt take much current/amps to "Fry" something! I was gonna say if you get a "decent" multi-meter, it shld have instructions on how to check diff values (like amps,volts, ohms etc as well as how to check relays & solonoids(& injectors etc) Good luck !!

/ Changed motors NEED wiring HELP! #12  
Jabel - you got a lot of questionable data in that last post - hope it doesn't screw up the OP.

BTW - wonder what the rated amperage output of that replacement briggs engine is vs. the current draw of that m48 elect PTO ?...

/ Changed motors NEED wiring HELP! #13  
Yea, definatally a lot of mis-information.

I neglected to even read the post (due to rambling-type run-on with lack of paragraphs that make it difficult to follow). But since you mentioned it, I tried to decipher it, and yea.....some mis-info.

I dont even go into any detail.....pointless in starting a flaming war at this point so I will leave it at that.

/ Changed motors NEED wiring HELP! #14  
Well sorry fellas! Didn't mean to upset anyone! I'll try to curb my enthusiasm next time though! Btw, what misinfo was there, I am just curious & only want to know for the record & not to argue w/anyone,really! I'll also try to keep in paragragh form & not "run on" & keep it very short !Didn't mean to "mislead" anyone or confuse. Thanks, Jim

/ Changed motors NEED wiring HELP! #15  
Well your getting excellent advice & help from these fellas,cause you need to pinpoint what its doing &/or not doing correctly b4 you can/shld proceed! The art &/or science of good troubleshooting is to know the system, that being said, you shld at least know the basics or at least know how to use your tools & what to use,why & where! Once you know what items do what,how & why,it becomes much easier & simpler to trblsht/diagnose! Also a good wire diagram/shematic does wanders too, if you dont know where wires are supposed to be & what color,how can you possbly discern the problems? All that aside, If you have a voltmeter, all you really have to do is check for voltage here & there at the right places & at the rght times, like the guy said, about 14 volts while its running & about 12 when its off! If you check for volts,your checking for power! If there is no voltage where there is supposed to be,then your not getting power to that place/circuit/switch/relay/fuse/light etc!! It sounds a lot like a faulty or missing voltage regulator to me, a bad one will drain the batt really fast! Also check your stator & stator wires & stator field windings, check to see if any of the wires are getting hot while its running! Always check the easy,obvious stuff first, it will save you money a lot of times! I've seen car's whole elec system shut dwn & not take a jump start just from a corroded battery terminal(usually positive) ! Always disconnect the ground/negative term 1st & hook it up last! You know how the guy(s) said the mower shld run w/o the batt? Well,once your veh starts(tractor or car) , it really runs off the alternator(or generator) , the battery's most imp role is in starting/cranking power for starter & initial system voltage, from then on, the alternator takes over & also charges the batt! Newer cars have regulators built into the alternator(although still seperate inside) whereas older units had sep voltage regulators, & when you had a drastic change in charging(under or over charging) it was generally an indication of a bad voltg reg! Sometimes the batery wld be swollen/convex on one side & concave on the other! W/o the reg,the alternator is very simple, the reg is the "brain" of the charg systm & is moree sensitive & much more likely to be a culprit than the stator/alternator! With riding mowers, the vltg reg also serves as a "rectifier" which changes "DC"(direct current-ie 12-14volts) into A/C ( alternating current)(which is the opposite of an inverter,which changes "DC"currenttt into "A/C & if I'm not mistaken, the "coil" then "amplifies/multiplies" (makes voltage much higher) for ignition! It takes a lot more than 12-14 volts to fire the spark plug(s). If tou buy a gd multimeter( an electrcl meter which usually measures voltage;d/c & a/c , ohms(resistance) in diff levels(which can also be used to check for "Continuity", another way to see if power is getting thru so to speak, ie the circuit is unbroken & to check for Current/Amps in D/C mode only or amps/current in BOTH D/C & A/C! ( some will only measure in "D/C" bec it dsnt take much current/amps to"Fry" something! I was gonna say if you get a "decent" multi-meter, it shld have instructions on how to check diff values (like amps,volts, ohms etc as well as how to check relays & solonoids(& injectors etc) Good luck !!

I would have worded the items in red a bit differently

/ Changed motors NEED wiring HELP! #16  
Yea, definatally a lot of mis-information.

I neglected to even read the post (due to rambling-type run-on with lack of paragraphs that make it difficult to follow). But since you mentioned it, I tried to decipher it, and yea.....some mis-info.

I dont even go into any detail.....pointless in starting a flaming war at this point so I will leave it at that.
Well get used to the rambling cause it seems like this is the type of posts he postingon the forums hahahah. Jabel, i know you probably mean well but people like short and sweet tips not a 3 page essay trying to come off like your teeaching a class room

/ Changed motors NEED wiring HELP! #17  
For the record, I dont mind long posts. AS LONG AS some proper grammar and paragraphs to separate things are used. When its a big run-on, I usually (and think most others as well) dont even bother reading.

/ Changed motors NEED wiring HELP! #18  
thanks for the advice shortthrow50 , I appreciate that & I like those dogs ! are they Border Collies? I have a border collie/german shepard mix that my Mom brght home, bout 10yrs old now! I'll try to keep answers short & sweet for now on! thanks again!

/ Changed motors NEED wiring HELP! #19  
One of the first place I would look is the regulator. A Kawasaki engine uses a different regulator than the Briggs. It sounds like the person that did the engine swap tried to use the Kawasaki wiring for the Briggs. I don't think this is going to work. I have attached two wiring diagrams for the 21 horsepower Briggs engine. Check the wiring on your system and see if it is close.

Attachments

• MSD-Briggs-StrattonTecumseh-Ignition-System-Wiring-Diagram.png
    MSD-Briggs-StrattonTecumseh-Ignition-System-Wiring-Diagram.png
    28.5 KB · Views: 3,915
  • unledml.jpg
    unledml.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 5,463
   / Changed motors NEED wiring HELP!
Thanks LD1, I connected the loose wire to the battery and it seemed to work fine, for about an hour, then the electric clutch just quit. i checked the volts on battery and it is down to 8.20. recharged battery, reading 13.80 volts, mowed for about 30 minutes and the same thing happened, clutch quit! Would it be possible the something wrong with the clutch? If so, how could i test it. I set the air gap to .10, but not sure if thats correct. This has a 21 hsp briggs so i dont know the correct air gap. I called a shop and he could not or would not tell me without taking it to him, and I'm sure for a service charge. Can I get some help?