Cub cadet RZT 50 hydrostatic transmission

/ Cub cadet RZT 50 hydrostatic transmission #71  
Close to 8yrs and 600hrs has to be the record on an EZT as far as I know! Good deal. Water in the oil has been a confirmed issue with them, but not the only issue. One fella removed the troubled unit, split the case and found an internal shaft rubbing the inside of the case. He shimmed it back into alignment and the unit went back to working as designed with fresh oil and a careful re-assembly. Water isn't the only issue with these. I apologize for the earlier post. There isn't a fill port on the EZTs (I got confused with the pic in the SM). It's referring to the top vent/fill port I believe. Can anyone confirm?

Joel

/ Cub cadet RZT 50 hydrostatic transmission #72  
Do you mean RZT? I am not familiar with the EZT. Mine is an RZT and from what I have seen, you remove the allen screw(with a lot of force) and fill from there. I am def going to do it in the morning as it is the first break I have had this month to fit it in. Going to let it drain over night and refill with synthetic 20w50 on Thurs possibly even Fri. Going to give it plenty of time for all the old, grey fluid to come out. I know my prob has to be water because I pressure washed it to fix a leaking line the same day the trouble started. It started the very first yard I did after washing it. Would have been nice for Cub to warn us not to use a pressure washer on it huh?

I emailed the guy that claimed to have a manual on the trans, but as far as I know, he has yet to email me back. Anyone else have it? I have the service manual for the tractor, I need the manual specific to the trans. Anyone?

Thank you all for the help and I will post my results later this week!

/ Cub cadet RZT 50 hydrostatic transmission #73  
So sorry, just checked my email and I recieved the manual. Thank you very much JTKub! Again, I will post results later this week. Anything else I can help anyone with, please feel free to ask as I have become very proficient in dealing with this mower. I do not trust anyone else to do my work and just can not bring myself to shell out $65/hr to have something done that I can, :thumbsup:with a little help from my friends:cool::cool:, do myself!

/ Cub cadet RZT 50 hydrostatic transmission #74  
Wanted to post an update on my trans situation. Pulled both trans in about 30 minutes, pulled the allen head fill plug right next to the vent port, turned them over and drained them over night. Measured out 58 ozs of fresh 20w50 for each trans, poured it in really slowly so as to allow air time and space to escape. Replaced both trans in about 20 minutes, purged the system as per the service manual and put her on the ground. Cut about 6 hours that day with not a single problem! WooHoo! Thank you Jesus and TBN forums! Special thanks to JTKub for help with the manuals. Saved myself $2000 and a lot of downtime by doing a little research and busting a couple knuckles(the fill port allens were TIGHT)!
Thanks again JTKub. Anyone needing assistance with the procedure please feel free to message me. It is worth $20 and an hour or two of your time to try this before going out and blowing a bundle on an over-priced, generally dishonest and misinformed service center!

/ Cub cadet RZT 50 hydrostatic transmission #75  
Just found the forums and wow what a lot of info, Thanks. My Cub Cadet just started acting up and I guess it's time to break out the wrenchs, oil and patience to drain the Trans oil and refill. This mower has always been kept in the dry and only hosed off a couple times, mostly just take the blower and blow the grass off the deck. Sometimes being lazy about power washing your equipment can be benificial, lol. If someone could email me the manual on the trans it sure would be usefull. Thanks again

/ Cub cadet RZT 50 hydrostatic transmission #76  
skband, DON'T use a garden hose or pressure washer on these. Many of the issues reported were caused by water contamination in the hydros. From what I understand, water can work it's way down the input shaft and past the shaft seal. These units must not vent well, because the water doesn't seem to evaporate out on them. It should given how hot they get.

Joel

/ Cub cadet RZT 50 hydrostatic transmission #77  
   / Cub cadet RZT 50 hydrostatic transmission #78  
This forum is GREAT!

I have an RZT 50 that's about 3 years old now. Aside from stripping the spindle bolts occasionally, it's really been a good workhorse for us.

However, just before the end of the summer, the left side transmission stopped working, made a horrible noise and smoke was coming out of it - all within about 60 seconds. I think it's kaput.

My question is this... since many of these ZRT 50 trannys seem to have problems, does anyone know of any kind of a DURABLE retrofit transmission that could be installed (even if it requires some major manipulation) that would work to replace the stock Cub Cadet units?

All ideas would be appreciated

Thanks in advance.

Richard

/ Cub cadet RZT 50 hydrostatic transmission #79  
Richard, to date, Hydrogear is the only one in the game with an integrated zero-turn trans-axle unit. You probably could set your RZT50 up with a Hydrogear ZT-2800, 3100 or beyond (with some modifications to the machine), but costs can be higher than the whole machine is worth.

Setting your RZT50 up with separate pump and wheel motor drives like a $$$$ commercial machine would be a major ordeal.

I thought I had heard that Tufftorq was getting into the integrated ZTR trans game, but I've yet to see one.

Joel