3225 leak

/ 3225 leak #1  

barticus73

Silver Member
Clarksburg, Pa(Between Indiana and Saltsburg Pa)
Tractor
Cub Cadet 7272,Farmall 544
I have a CC 3225 Garden Tractor with Hydro transmission. I noticed a slow leak in the rear of the tractor and after cleaning it up appears to be coming from the Hydro rear cover. The cover looks to have about 15 or so bolts holing it in (maybe 3/8") Anyone else ever have a leak from the cover gasket here? I tried tightning up the bolts but they were all snug. Anyone ever pull this cover? Is there a site online I can look up the part number from a diagram for the gasket?

Thanx,

Jerry

/ 3225 leak #4  
If the leak is coming from the left of the gasket (there are 2 of them) then the gaskets are not the problem. The hydro oil is leaking into that chamber from what I think are called 'pillow block bearings', which are no's 10, 5 or 6 in the drawing. It is difficult to tell from the drawing which it is. What year is your tractor? Anyhow, to replace them is somewhat of a major task which will require replacing both gaskets, pulling out the shafts etc. I know this because I had the same problem. Is your transaxle casing aluminum?
Good luck.

/ 3225 leak #5  
If you pull the cover to investigate, just be sure to have a VERY big drip pan under it- those hydros hold around 7 quarts of fluid. It is rare to see them leak just from the rear cover gaskets.

-Fordlords-

/ 3225 leak #6  
Year is 1998. Is it difficult to get that suspected bearing out? Is it pressed in or will I be able to tap it out? I assume I need to disassemble some stuff. Is it very involved? I assume it is bearing #5 in the attatched pic that is the problem. I have oil leaking out the left side of the axle from that bearing.

Thanx

Attachments

• cc.jpg
    cc.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 1,905
   / 3225 leak #7  
Yes it is that bearing #5. If your gaskets were leaking then you would find the oil dripping from the bottom of the transaxle casing, not the left side that you describe. The hydro fluid is finding its way into that left cavity and leaking from there. I suspect the bearing is the culprit, not the gasket.

When it happened to me ( I have a 1999 3205, almost same model as yours, with an aluminum transaxle casing ) I thought it was the gasket(s) as well. I replaced them and the leak came back. Finally my neighbor, who is a mechanic, helped me figure out the true cause and replaced the bearing. It wasn't something I could have done on my own. The bearing is not pressed in but, as I recall, some kind of silicone sealant is used to seat it. In order to get at the bearing, or replace the gaskets, you have to:

take off side panels
remove seat
remove all foot pedals
remove all hydro control handles
take off the fender/foot rest housing
remove gas tank
remove draw bar back plate
drain hydro fluid from bottom drain plug
of course the wheels should be off too

Then the back plate of the transaxle is exposed and you can remove the bolts and see what you have. You will have to replace both gaskets at this point anyhow. If you are reasonably competent mechanically, or are feeling brave, you can try it. You will at least become very familiar with your tractors innards. But before you do try it mow your lawn because you will need a few days ( I did ) to tackle this one. To tell you the truth I would recommend taking it to some dealer and let them do it.
Good luck and post your results when you are finished.

/ 3225 leak #8  
Do you happen to remember what you paid for parts by chance? I see a local dealer lists bearing at $33 and gasket at $17 each. Sound about right?

I also wonder if maybe it is just the bearing housing leaking and I could just reapply sealer to stop the leak?

Last edited:
   / 3225 leak #9  
Yes that sounds about right for the parts. And I suppose you could clean and reapply the sealant for starters and hope for the best. You will have to put new gaskets on anyhow, I think. But you may be able to re-use them. Maybe first take the thing apart and see what you need before buying anything. It is a pretty big project and somewhat time consuming, at least it was for me. One thing I do remember, when you have the back plate all apart and have exposed the transaxle it will come out, then to replace it you will have to re-seal both bearing blocks where they seat. One thing more, don't crank too hard on the bolts connecting the transmission plate to the housing or you will break them off ( which I did ). I have found the cc dealers to be very helpful and you can ask their advice on sealants and gaskets and bearings etc, so don't be afraid to ask.

/ 3225 leak #10  
Ok, thanx for the info so far. I have everything off and the differential casing cover off. Now, I am a little confused as to how to get the left axle and bearings out. Do you have to remove the for bolts (#22) and then the retaining clips and then slide shaft with hub assembly attatched out to the left? Or did you remove 7/8"nut on hub, remove hub, remove brake mounting bracket # 30, and then left axle comes out?

Thanks