Welder/Generator

/ Welder/Generator #11  
I have a Hobart 10K. Got it on sale at TSC. Used the savings to buy a small trailer to mount it on. Works great.

Ironically I got mine at TSC also when my onan gen died I remembered one at the store about a year before went back and it was still sitting there and marked down to $1050 I made them an offer of $800 and the manager told the guy to get it out and load it up they need to get rid of it.

as I said it is loud get some longer leads and it is heavy I/m still considering the wheel kit
tom

/ Welder/Generator #12  
I also have the Miller Bobcat 250 NT and HIGHLY RECOMMEND it for power output and reliablity. My son and I were doing a welding job this summer with my Bobcat. I was welding with a 1/8" 7018, he was grinding with a 7" grinder and we had 2 large work lights, lighting up our work area, all going at the same time with no problem. The portablity is great to have around the yard. No more extention cords running everywhere. Only downside is it is loud and like the others have said... use long cables. My wife wanted to buy a generator for power outage but I convinced her that the combo is the best way to go and the Bobcat 250 put out 10 000 watts AC. My Bobcat is power by ad Onan motor and it works good but I would recommend getting one powered by Kholer because parts are easier to find.

Just my 2 cents.

/ Welder/Generator #13  
I've got a Honda that I picked up 2nd hand for small money, it's 170 amps and about 4000 watts. It doesn't have a 220 output though, great for any 110 V tools, lights ETC. Not any louder than one would expect from a Honda.

Attachments

• PC190007.jpg
    PC190007.jpg
    552.6 KB · Views: 286
   / Welder/Generator #14  
Ironically I got mine at TSC also when my onan gen died I remembered one at the store about a year before went back and it was still sitting there and marked down to $1050 I made them an offer of $800 and the manager told the guy to get it out and load it up they need to get rid of it.

as I said it is loud get some longer leads and it is heavy I/m still considering the wheel kit
tom

NICE DEAL!

soundguy

/ Welder/Generator #15  
Have had good luck with my Lincoln Ranger 8,16hp Onan. Just got me through a 10 day power outage. I didn't run it full time but it ran the whole house at a little over a gallon an hour. I have it on a cart in a detached 3 car garage,run a flex pipe from the muffler out a metal plate in the window. Garage was warmer than most houses that week!

You can't beat them as a generator,mine is rated 8KW but will serge twice that, after all welding is pretty much a dead short. They are much more rugged than the junk people were bringing home from the box stores.

/ Welder/Generator #16  
I'm starting to line up a lot of "gee, if I only had a decent stick welder" type of projects, so it's getting to the point where I need to make a decision, soon. Sounds like George has had good luck with his Miller Bobcat 250NT AC/DC welder/generator, which is one of the models I'm considering. Another is the Lincoln Ranger 10000. Also, there's the Hobart Champion 10000 DC machine, but I'd like to get an AC/DC machine in case I ever want to expand my welding options to include TIG.

-Jim

pay close attention to the duty cycle of the machine. When I bought mine the Hobart only had a 30% duty cycle, the Miller & Lincoln both had 100% (@ full amp). The prices were fairly close at the time, so I went with the Lincoln. Haven't regretted it.

/ Welder/Generator #17  
Firedog,

Thanks for pointing out the duty cycle differences. For me, it's now either Lincoln or Miller. Time to start visiting my local dealers.

Groundcover,

The flex pipe for the exhaust is a great idea. Sort of like the car mechanics do it. I think I'll copy that.

-Jim

/ Welder/Generator #18  
I run an older Miller Bobcat 225G and would not part with it. The generator output is only 8K but it is enough for my needs. For the money the AC/DC machine is a must. As others have said the noise seems to be the only drawback but you get used to it.

KB

/ Welder/Generator #19  
A few years ago I needed to upgrade from a 5KW generator to a 10KW unit to run my whole house during outages. I also needed to upgrade my 35 year old Sears buzz box AC welder so I bought a Miller Bobcat 250NT AC/DC welder/generator, sold my 5KW to one neighbor and gave the buzz box to another. I think its great since I no longer see huge electric bills from my previous welder use and only cost a little for the gas I use plus its portable and I can load it on my trailer and take it to the job at hand.. The only downside I see is that it is loud / noisy when running. That's why I have long cables to get the noise further from me.

I've been doing some arithmetic on this dual use back-up generator thing.
I got the last 3 years consumption figures from my local power company.
During the summer months my monthly consumption SOMETIMES hits 700 KWh, i.e. rarely goes over 24 KWh per day.
During the winter months, when power cuts are more likely, it drops as low as 400 KWh.
I heat the house and water with gas, so the peak summer months represent air conditioner loads.

Even allowing for inefficiencies it is quite clear that a small bank of batteries and about a 5 Kw inverter would be a better/quieter deal.
I could re-charge when the power comes back on, or catch up very quickly with something as small as a 1,000 Watt camping generator.
I could run that ONLY during daylight hours, which sounds better than having something kick in at 1 a.m.

SURE, I was scratching around for an excuse to buy a honkin' great diesel welder/gen, but I really can't justify it on the basis of power outages.

/ Welder/Generator #20  
I've been doing some arithmetic on this dual use back-up generator thing.
I got the last 3 years consumption figures from my local power company.
During the summer months my monthly consumption SOMETIMES hits 700 KWh, i.e. rarely goes over 24 KWh per day.
During the winter months, when power cuts are more likely, it drops as low as 400 KWh.
I heat the house and water with gas, so the peak summer months represent air conditioner loads.

Even allowing for inefficiencies it is quite clear that a small bank of batteries and about a 5 Kw inverter would be a better/quieter deal.
I could re-charge when the power comes back on, or catch up very quickly with something as small as a 1,000 Watt camping generator.
I could run that ONLY during daylight hours, which sounds better than having something kick in at 1 a.m.

SURE, I was scratching around for an excuse to buy a honkin' great diesel welder/gen, but I really can't justify it on the basis of power outages.

A battery bank and inverter will be fine as long as you don't need 220V to run a HW heater, well pump, A/C unit, or anything else on 220V. To save a few bucks on a welder/generator ask your dealer if he has a factory reconditioned one. That should knock off about $8-900 off list price and they come with a 2 year warranty. Mine had 19 hours on it when I bought it. I now have 90 plus hours. It was worth my piece of mind to have it available whether its 10 below or 90 degrees outside knowing I could run everything in the house. Plus for the amount of welding I do its cheaper to operate than my old 220 buzz box.