Welder/Generator

/ Welder/Generator #21  
Gas water heater, no well pump, no sump pump, gas furnace.
Even 220 Volt equipment COULD be powered from a battery bank and inverter - 110 is typically just a center tapped 220 anyway.

In the night I only need a light or two, maybe the furnace blower.
The fridge and chest freezer could wait until daytime when I'm willing to fire up a little rat-a-tat-tat generator.
What I like most about the inverter idea is that I could get fairly fast switching, (supposedly 16.6 milliseconds, 1 cycle) to avoid brown downs.
The power company cares only that I have break before make.

I should add that this house has had ONE power failure in the last 35 years that lasted almost 15 hours, perhaps 4 others that went 12 hours.
For whatever reason(s) the level of service has been very good, so I don't think I need to plan for the ultimate paranoid triple worst case scenario.

/ Welder/Generator #23  
OK, I was just trying to help you spend your money.

Thanks,
Much appreciated.

I am already SURROUNDED by INSURMOUNTABLE OPPORTUNITIES to spend my money (-:

/ Welder/Generator #24  
While we're talking welders (see thread "What kind of welder should I buy?"), what do you guys think of welder/generators? Seems to me like a great way to be able to weld where you don't have power, gives you a generator as a bonus, and lets you move only one piece of equipment around. What are the downsides?
Since it appears your primary concern is a new welder, I'd look for one with the best welding features rather than getting one with a lot of generator power. Many units offer smaller generator capability but still offer AC and DC stick capability. The unit itself is smaller, lighter and more mobile. It also takes less fuel to run. Moving a piece of smaller equipment around is a pleasure.

Although I already have 4 other welders, I couldn't pass this one up. It was only $500 bucks and no extra freight when I purchased my wife's crate Jinma tractor. I got a lot of other implements for cost that way in that purchase.
This one is a 5kW Diesel generator/welder. It's got wheels and electric start. Welds AC and DC and the 5kW is a lot for when working out in the woods if you need to run other electrical off it ... plenty in fact. It has (2) 120v plugs. I don't know yet if I can get a 240v plug wired to it? The only thing missing is a built in air compressor. But for 500 bucks and electric start, it's a good deal and it looks very well made. This one is 60hz so it runs at 3600rpm. The 50hz models (for Europe or wherever) run at 3000rpm.
Here are some pictures of it in my barn. It's still partially wrapped up.
Rob-

/ Welder/Generator
Wow, Rob, that doesn't look bad! Diesel, an ISO-9001 approved manufacturer (if the sticker is to be believed), electric start, and only $500! I haven't seen a decent quality 5 kW generator for that.

/ Welder/Generator #26  
I have a miller blue star. 13 hp Honda gas motor, 5500 watt gen (peak of 6000 I think), and it's a 180 amp DC stick welder.

I used for both powering house during power outages and welding. Does a great job at both.

However, this machine cost me over $700 used (I did get about 200 foot of cable though, which was worth that much alone, great deal, also had less than 100 hours on it, one of those e-bay miracles). To replace would be better part of $2k easy.

Therefore, I ended up purchasing a dedicated generator, 5500 watts, from pepboys for $329 (day after thanksgiving sale a year ago). This thing is the best deal since the miller purchase.

Runs 13 hours on a tank (miller has 1.5 gallon tank, not the long run type of tank), and if she craps out, I'm not out big money. I ran her 48 hours straight during the ice storm with no issues at all, neighbor ran identical machine for 8 days straight, not a single problem. Also it is quieter than the Miller (awsome stick welder by the way).

Bottom line, it was tough for me to run such an expensive piece of equipment as a generator when a dedicated generator can be had for short money.

The real nice part about the gas welder is it is totally portable and can easily run a grinder, light, etc. that way you've got all your equipment with you when you weld away from an outlet.

But then by brother uses his 3500 watt generator with his buz box and he's portable.

There are a lot of ways to skin a cat.

Good luck,
Joel

/ Welder/Generator #27  
I found this Lincoln on craigslist locally the other day, it sells for $3500.00, I bought it with 2.5 hours for $2400.00. Way to good to pass up.. Well, if I can figure out how to post pictures I'll show it to you.