On board air for farm truck

/ On board air for farm truck #31  
nice!

/ On board air for farm truck #32  
GreatWhiteHunter,
I definitely do not get the amount of snow in VA and NC that you folks get in CT. However, my trucks have been through enough rain, snow, sleet, mud, dirt, sand, and hayfields to validate any environmental test you can throw at 'em. The compressor survived them all. The location that I am referring to is actually quite protected from the elements (at least on Crew Cab Fords). It is right in the vicinity of the passenger rear door. I mount the tank close to the corner of the pickup bed. One thing that I do is mount front mudflaps. It reduces the amount of water, snow, and road debris that is kicked up. But, that far back on the frame, it is out of the way anyway. The heat generated by the compressor motor will keep it from freezing. Yes, if you purchase the complete kit, it will come with a pressure switch.

I'll have to see if I can locate a picture of the bottomside of the truck with the tank and air compressor.

If you do run a tank, you might want to consider using the 1/4" coiled hose coming out of the tank(output). The lines running from the compressor to the tank (input) are generally 1/4". If you use the typical 1/2" and 3/4" hose, the compressor will not be able to pump air quick enough into the tank to maintain the volume required to keep enough pressure going into the tire, or whatever you are pumping up.

As far as life expectancy, I did have issues with my first two compressors. But, I think was just using cheap compressors. I never had any issues with either of the compressors that I put on my '01 and '06. Both were the Ride-Rite Systems.

In the attached pictures, you can barely make out the tank underneath the truck between the front of the fender and the rear running light. The compressor is hanging on the frame behind that last running light.

It's really not the snow or rain/debris but the salt. It's insane to see how fast the bottoms of vehicles rust up here. I was looking at the riderite bags and compressors. So I should stay away from them?

Matt

/ On board air for farm truck #34  
I used to run a service truck with a 12 v compressor that SUrplus center sold for 750 dollars. We had a pair of air tanks for storage. Ive also had a few Yorks set up on my old service truck with a pressure switch to turn off the air at max pressure. I had a front pipe bumper for air storage. I also had an old 30 gallon tank on back. One was pretty slow so I would kick it in before I gotto the site. I also had a handbrake valve from an old Mack. I had it on the steering column and also a lock down valve. I had a set of gladhands on the back for te occasional moving of an air brake trailer.

/ On board air for farm truck #35  
To all

Not to burst anyone's bubble but a electric compressor on a frame of a truck is a accident waiting to happen. We own a compressor shop in salt lake now for 27 years and so we have seen it all. We no what works what does not and what is a problem just waiting to happen. If done right with a York compressor out of a (salvage) yard with everything including tanks that I have at my shop you would be under 250. Also it's done once and done right. Plus it's something that can be used regularly and it works every time,rain ,sleet, or snow. You wouldn't think twice about jumping in your truck and having your air conditioner on for 800 miles would you? That's how good and dependable of a system that is and also you get way more air delivery then out of any electric compressor. Hoped that helped any questions please
feel free to ask. Thank Nic

/ On board air for farm truck #36  
It's really not the snow or rain/debris but the salt. It's insane to see how fast the bottoms of vehicles rust up here. I was looking at the riderite bags and compressors. So I should stay away from them?

Matt,
Get 'em. I never had any issues with the Ride-Rite Systems. I have run them on my trucks for the last ten years without incident. Everything is an 'accident waiting to happen'. So, don't be discouraged by folks who use that line. Eventhough I did have them installed by the dealers, the installation is quite simple and instructions are provided. Again, we do not get as much snow as you folks get up there but salt, sand, and de-icer are used quite extensively around here.

Keep in mind, it is what it is. They are ok for pumping up car and trailer tires, but they do not put out the volume of the york and other engine mounted compressors. If you want to have a service truck, then yes, you will need a much larger compressor and reserve storage tanks.

Hawk

/ On board air for farm truck #37  

Matt,
Get 'em. I never had any issues with the Ride-Rite Systems. I have run them on my trucks for the last ten years without incident. Everything is an 'accident waiting to happen'. So, don't be discouraged by folks who use that line. Eventhough I did have them installed by the dealers, the installation is quite simple and instructions are provided. Again, we do not get as much snow as you folks get up there but salt, sand, and de-icer are used quite extensively around here.

Keep in mind, it is what it is. They are ok for pumping up car and trailer tires, but they do not put out the volume of the york and other engine mounted compressors. If you want to have a service truck, then yes, you will need a much larger compressor and reserve storage tanks.

Hawk

Again I got to apologize to builder for the hijack. For me I won't need the volume for blowing debris off equipment like he's after. I just want it for the bags and if the need arises it'd be nice to fill a tire. This would be on my dmax so I'll need to find a spot to mount it. I was thinking of possibly mounting it inside my weatherguard tool box. That way it's protected but highly accessable.

As for the air fittings are you guys using the push type(john guest) fittings? I've not had long term luck with them in industrial air systems. Same question for the air line, is the poly stuff what's being used? I've seen the RideRite installation instruction and that's the materials that were used.

/ On board air for farm truck #38  
probably not the exact route you were looking for, but around 20 years ago i remember reading an article about a 4x4 build where they were using an old a/c compressor for onboard air. they built tube bumpers that were connected as the reservoir. i have no idea if/how well this worked, but you can probably search and find articles about it, assuming it worked.

Yup, Kilby Enterprises makes an air compressor out of old ford a/c compressors and they work awesome! You can even run an impact.

/ On board air for farm truck
These work well. Mount the compressor behind the back seat and put the tank under the bed.

I think I'm going this route. Found good price on the Viair "ultimate" system.
More than I want to spend, but way too many irons in the fire. Sometimes you gotta pick your battles and I'd rather just buy this one than build it. I used to have an ARB under the hood of my 450 and it was enough to blow up tires with a little time. The Viair with 2.5G tank should be much better.

/ On board air for farm truck #40  
Again I got to apologize to builder for the hijack. For me I won't need the volume for blowing debris off equipment like he's after. I just want it for the bags and if the need arises it'd be nice to fill a tire. This would be on my dmax so I'll need to find a spot to mount it. I was thinking of possibly mounting it inside my weatherguard tool box. That way it's protected but highly accessable.

As for the air fittings are you guys using the push type(john guest) fittings? I've not had long term luck with them in industrial air systems. Same question for the air line, is the poly stuff what's being used? I've seen the RideRite installation instruction and that's the materials that were used.

Matt,
The kits do come with the push type fittings and plastic tubing. Once I figured out the fittings, I did not have any issues, no leaks, no kinks, and I could connect and disconnct relatively easy. Just make sure that you cut the ends square.

Hawk