On board air for farm truck

/ On board air for farm truck
Builder,
I have installed on-board air on every F350 that I have had. It is real simple and easy to do, and relatively inexpensive. The first two were just the air compressor and tank. On the last two, I had air springs installed and just tied into the system.

Go to AWDirect and order the air compressor, or firestone and order direct. Do not get a cheap air compressor, nor a used or one from a junk yard - unless you can clearly ID a model number and parts supplier. On my earlier 'projects'; I had to replace the motor or something on the compressors often. (about $200)

THen go to a junk yard and get one of the air tanks off an old truck. A 2.5 or 5 gal tank is fine. If all you are going to do is run a line for pumping up tires or blowing stuff off, one or two ports is fine. I ran air horns, air bags, and a line for pumping up tires. (about $5.00)

Go to any truck parts supplier and get the straps to hang the tank on the chassis of your F550. You will have to fabricate some brackets out of angle iron or something. This does not have to be a heavy piece of iron. I got what I needed from Home Depot.

You can get everything you need from AWDirect for about $600.

search air compressor

You can mount these on the chassis right under the passenger door or the bed.

If your F550 has the upfitter switches, you can tie into one of these to turn the compressor on and off. One of the advantages of ordering the kit, is will the pressure switch that will shut off the compressor and 100 psi and restart at 80 psi (I think).

Here is another site to get the parts that you need.
Hadley

I have done this a couple of times, and I will be doing the same when I pick up my F450 in May. So, if you have any questions, just drop me a line.

Hawk

Thanks, Hawk. You and I do the same thing, so I think I'm going to do it your way. I do have the upfitter switches. Would like to keep cost down. You don't have a system laying around from another truck or a used one you would sell, do you?

/ On board air for farm truck
Did the F550 have the option for air brakes? I know my older international has a standard 2 cylinder pump mounted on the engine for the brakes. If you could find one in the junkyard it could be an option.

No, they don't have air brakes or an option for them. They have crappy hydraulic brakes that wear out way too fast.
They don't have Allison transmissions, either. :laughing:

/ On board air for farm truck #23  
Builder,

I don't have a complete system. However, I do have a couple of tanks (with brackets maybe) I can pull off an old white sitting in the middle of my hayfield. I still have about week before I get back from Afghanistan though. So, the earliest I can get one off for you is the middle of May.

Hawk

/ On board air for farm truck #24  
Not to hijack builders thread but I've got a few questions. I've been thinking of adding airbags to my truck and incorperating the Airlifter wireless air.

I've been wondering about mounting locations and life expectancy of the compressor. I know builder will be in the same boat with me on protecting the compressor form the road salts for us snow belt guys. I'd be really skeptical of mounting one in the frame rail. As it is now, I'm still getting sand out of the frame rails and figure the compressors will have aluminum bodies which the salt will have a field day with. I was going to use my setup for air to the bags an have a port front an rear foe either tire inflation or inflating other stuff.

Do these compressors have the volume and giddy up to do much? For builders situation wouldn't the airtank need a bladder inside to be effective? It's my understanding the Airlifter setup has a pressure switch so I'd imagine I'd have up to 100psi available all the time.

Matt

/ On board air for farm truck #25  
Do these compressors have the volume and giddy up to do much? For builders situation wouldn't the airtank need a bladder inside to be effective? It's my understanding the Airlifter setup has a pressure switch so I'd imagine I'd have up to 100psi available all the time.

They will handle a decent load. I know of a farmer that has one (dunno how it is setup other than it runs off of the engine) on a Dodge 3500 that he uses to run an impact wrench to change points on chisel plows and perform other in-field maintenance.
An airtank doesn't need a bladder. The only tanks that need bladders are water tanks and that is because water isn't very compressible and air is.

Aaron Z

/ On board air for farm truck #26  
An airtank doesn't need a bladder. The only tanks that need bladders are water tanks and that is because water isn't very compressible and air is.

On the contrary, many industrial air systems have bladders. It keeps more consistent pressure outputs. But I understand we're talking automotive ac not industrial.:thumbsup:

Matt

/ On board air for farm truck #27  
a bladder is good for an air / water tank not due to the compressibility of air or the lack thereof of the water.. but rather to prevent (drastically slow down ) disoloution of the air bubble into the water, leading to a 'waterlogged' tank condition.

soundguy

/ On board air for farm truck #28  
GreatWhiteHunter,
I definitely do not get the amount of snow in VA and NC that you folks get in CT. However, my trucks have been through enough rain, snow, sleet, mud, dirt, sand, and hayfields to validate any environmental test you can throw at 'em. The compressor survived them all. The location that I am referring to is actually quite protected from the elements (at least on Crew Cab Fords). It is right in the vicinity of the passenger rear door. I mount the tank close to the corner of the pickup bed. One thing that I do is mount front mudflaps. It reduces the amount of water, snow, and road debris that is kicked up. But, that far back on the frame, it is out of the way anyway. The heat generated by the compressor motor will keep it from freezing. Yes, if you purchase the complete kit, it will come with a pressure switch.

I'll have to see if I can locate a picture of the bottomside of the truck with the tank and air compressor.

If you do run a tank, you might want to consider using the 1/4" coiled hose coming out of the tank(output). The lines running from the compressor to the tank (input) are generally 1/4". If you use the typical 1/2" and 3/4" hose, the compressor will not be able to pump air quick enough into the tank to maintain the volume required to keep enough pressure going into the tire, or whatever you are pumping up.

As far as life expectancy, I did have issues with my first two compressors. But, I think was just using cheap compressors. I never had any issues with either of the compressors that I put on my '01 and '06. Both were the Ride-Rite Systems.

In the attached pictures, you can barely make out the tank underneath the truck between the front of the fender and the rear running light. The compressor is hanging on the frame behind that last running light.

Attachments

• In front of camper.jpg
    In front of camper.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 360
   / On board air for farm truck #29  
In the attached pictures, you can barely make out the tank underneath the truck between the front of the fender and the rear running light. The compressor is hanging on the frame behind that last running light.

great looking truck.

99-01?