JD 3005 exhaust mods/replacement

/ JD 3005 exhaust mods/replacement #1  

dieselcrawler

Elite Member
Tractor
2013 JD 3005 2001 Kubota BX1800
After 3 years of use, the exhaust on my 3005 has turned the back of the loader bucket black. A minor issue, but I see no reason to send it out the lower corner, Im sure it contributes to the chaff and gunk that gets blown around into the radiator screen. And its tiny. Any motor can breath better... So Im gonna try something...

Remove the stock muffler and exhaust pipe, save it, intact. I may decide it is better than my redneck hotrod tractor junk I come up with.

So here is what it is in stock form:

So far I have made a plate to fit the manifold below the muffler, into which I will weld the new, larger pipe.

The general plan is to follow the route of the stock exhaust, out under the side panel in the stock location, and then up along the grill guard and limb riser to over the canopy of my ROPS/FOPS cage. Straight pipe? Perhaps. Might be obnoxiously loud... If so, I will devise a muffler, or just fit in the smallest glasspack I can find. The pipe will be about half an inch larger diameter than stock. Which will be huge for the 1.3L motor!

Last edited:
   / JD 3005 exhaust mods/replacement #2  
How about a motorcycle muffler? Small and the right shape. Many Harley dealers have a pile of new factory pipe's in more or less a junk pile from when they install a performance set up. A little chrome would really "redneck hotrod" things up:laughing:

/ JD 3005 exhaust mods/replacement #3  
Thanks for the link and thread Greg. Following. :)

/ JD 3005 exhaust mods/replacement #4  
Does John Deere make a vertical exhaust kit as an accessory for your model, I know they do for a lot of the 3 & 4 thousand series tractors they actually have a spot un the underside of the hood were to cut out for the stack and they still use the factory muffler

/ JD 3005 exhaust mods/replacement #5  
I don't see any turbo stuff, is it non-turbo? If so, yeah it may be a bit obnoxious without a muffler. :)

/ JD 3005 exhaust mods/replacement #6  
I ran my 790, wich is a 3005 with 790 stickers without a muffner when I did the valves. It was not that obnoxious right out of the manifold like that:D

/ JD 3005 exhaust mods/replacement #7  
He might get by then. Adding pipe diameter and running it the route he's choosing should help as well.

/ JD 3005 exhaust mods/replacement
There is a factory vertical system available. Im a cheap ba$t@rd, I'll likely have less than $10 invested in this... Ive got all the pipe 'in stock'! *grin*

No turbo, yet... Thats phase 2... That IS gonna cost a few bucks. But I'm also concerned about trying to make a 35 hp tractor out of one designed for its stock 27 hp. I run it hard as it is... What I really need is a bigger tractor.

/ JD 3005 exhaust mods/replacement #9  
Years ago there was talk that running without a muffler can burn valves. Is that an old wive's tale?

/ JD 3005 exhaust mods/replacement #10  
Years ago there was talk that running without a muffler can burn valves. Is that an old wive's tale?

Can't say anything about diesels, but running a gas engine with a free flow exhaust could cause the engine to run lean...and hotter then it should which could result in burned valves.. In the days of carburetors, it was a matter of adjustment to make the mixture a bit richer or re-jetting.