Use universal "suitcase" weights on Kubota

/ Use universal "suitcase" weights on Kubota #11  
Re: Use universal \"suitcase\" weights on Kubota

Hey, I didn't know JD made weights in Kubota grey...
Just kidding. Nice work. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Use universal "suitcase" weights on Kubota

Thanks for all the encouraging comments. Although this was a relatively small undertaking, we all like to have a sense of pride in our work. And, to be accurate, someone PM'd me and pointed out an error I'd made. I didn't include the bar that goes across the weights to prevent them from flying off when taking the tractor off of jumps. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I've since corrected my oversite and here is the finished product. Now they won't bounce off even after hard landings from those long jumps. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Attachments

• 515482-PICT0402.JPG
    515482-PICT0402.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 941
   / Use universal "suitcase" weights on Kubota #13  
   / Use universal "suitcase" weights on Kubota #14  

Dargo,

I still come back to this post as I have it in my "remind me" and I just wanted to know how your grill guard is working out?

Does the assembly quick disconnect? Or do you unbolt the guard to allow access to the engine (hood clearance)? I have an opportunity to duplicate and install one (with your permission of course) on a Yanmar 1601D.

Thanks and regards, Mark

BTW I have yet to see one as nice by any of the big 4 manufacturers.

/ Use universal "suitcase" weights on Kubota #15  

You really did do a fine job on these. I'm glad you added the rod to hold them in place. I know you do those Evil Knevil jumps over several cars, so this should help protect everyone! Happy new year John

Now that it is "loader" season, I have removed the weights and installed my FEL. All I have to do is to pull one of the lynch pins, remove the bar holding the weights in place, remove the weights, and then install the FEL. It (grill guard and weight holder) never has to be removed. Everything clears with my suitcase weight bracket in place. I simply keep a can of Kubota Orange paint handy, because when I take the weights off the paint is always worn off where they rubbed the steel bracket. It is not a requirement, but I like to keep it looking like new with no places to rust.

I think it was in another thread that I mentioned a funny story about my weight bracket. With my luck being like it is, I managed to blow the valves that operate my FEL, so my 5030 is currently at the dealership for repairs under warranty. Again, just my luck, it is a part that "rarely" breaks and nobody stocks it. I'm waiting for the part from Kubota. Anyway, a Kubota rep dropped by the dealership to see about my tractor. The dealer got a good laugh when the Kubota rep commented "it's about time we (Kubota) made it where the customer doesn't have to unbolt and take off the grill guard to put on the front weights". /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif My dealer informed him that it wasn't a Kubota item, and he seemed confused because he knew that the grill guard just had to be Kubota.

Apparently the dealer ran the FEL through all of it's movement cycles to show the rep where it does not interfere with any of the FEL movements and there is adequate clearance. I wonder if it may begin to appear on Kubota's in the future?? /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif The rep commented that the suitcase weight holder was so simple that he couldn't believe Kubota hadn't come up with something better than their current way; remove the grill guard and then install the weight holder. It really is a simple design and it is very functional. How Kubota missed designing it, I'll never know.

Thank you for your kind comments. Not all of my "shop inventions" turn out quite as intended in form and function, but this one seems to work just fine for me. And, as I think I stated earlier, feel free to copy the design. (this one really does work /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

One funny observation; I admit that I was slightly embarrassed when the dealer asked me what I used for the rod to hold the weights on. You see, it needed to be hardened to keep it's diameter small, since I didn't originally think to leave room for the keeper rod. Yes, I forgot all about that need. What did I use? Part of the jack handle off of the factory jack in a 1993 Dodge Dakota. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Hey, I used a chop saw to cut it to length, and a carbide bit to drill the holes in it for the small keeper clips, but it fit just fine. I didn't tell them that I was an after thought because I was too dumb to incorporate a keeper rod in my original design. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Use universal "suitcase" weights on Kubota #17  

Excellent, and I predict something similar on future Kubotas.

Mark

/ Use universal "suitcase" weights on Kubota #18  

I have a 1955 Ford 640. I plan on modifying my front bumper to allow me to hang weights on it. My question is, where in the heck can I find suitcase weights??? I see them hanging all over tractors, but when I've called places and asked, you'd think I was trying to buy opium or something. "no we don't sell them, I don't know where you can get them" Are they really that darned hard to find? If so, WHY?? Is there a secret tractor weight society I need to join to learn the handshake?

Befuddled in the barn. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Use universal "suitcase" weights on Kubota #19  

I got mine from my Kubota dealer. They have Kubota name and part # on them.

Dean

Attachments

• 560945-P1000182.JPG
    560945-P1000182.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 547

Why do you think I went through so much trouble to be able to keep mine and use them on a different make tractor?! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Mine are actually JD weights, but they are not made by JD; they are a universal "suitcase" weight. I bought mine used (I don't think they were still under warranty, but I think they'll be okay /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif) from a little independent tractor shop. I've seen them at all sorts of farm auctions, and obviously they can be purchased new from a dealer. I did break down and buy one of the weights on my tractor from a local JD dealer to complete my set, but I bet you can't tell from my picture of them which one is the new one.

Anyway, sometimes it has been hard to find 'em, and other times I seem to see them everywhere. The key issue is that you almost have to buy them from some place local to you. Shipping will kill a "good deal" on a some purchased on the internet a lot of times. Look under farm and implement dealers in your area and check out any local farm auctions that may be close. Good luck!