About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #31  
Jim, I wish they would change the pink ribbon - symbol of breast cancer - to at least a pink ribbon with blue ends to symbolize breast cancer is not gender specific.

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men
Don, I don't really mind the pink ribbons. Frankly, there are so many ribbons for so many causes that I need a ribbon dictionary to keep them all defined and separated.:rolleyes: The breast cancer awareness and research programs are largely conceived, organized, and led by women. Every medical breakthrough they've made is a tool that's non-gender specific with the exception of reconstruction after a mastectomy. I owe a lot of the success of my treatment to women who have marched and toiled long hours to raise money for research. Sure, men have been there to support the women in their cause, but we don't seem to get into it with the same passion. When was the last time you saw a prostate cancer march for men's health awareness? How many men get an annual mammogram? I'm not sure men even get the proper PSA tests and annual manual check for prostate enlargement. I know that the technology and techniques that are going to be used to help me are largely there thanks to the women who have supported this research. I just encourage men to support the pink with a little green, the kind that has president's photos on it.:)

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #33  
Jim...
I am glad that you found it out in time...
3 years ago I lost a dear friend to breast cancer...
He was born with an inverted teat...
He had gone for several years with a discharge from that teat and when he found out it was breast cancer it was too late...
He was only 60 years old...
He told me that breast cancer in men was much more common that first thought...
I find myself giving myself self examinations now...
Here is to a 100% recovery...
Thank you for informing everyone on here about this issue...
I was ignorant of it also until 3 years ago...

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #34  
Jim...glad to hear of your recovery. Thank you for posting your "story" as it will likely help one of us take notice if we have any issues. Now we may have an idea of what to watch for. Hope your prognosis is great and thanks again for the info and awareness. Tom R

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers. I went to my 3-week surgery follow-up appointment yesterday. My surgeon had the results of all the tests. All four remaining test results were negative for cancer. YEA!!! He even did the test to see if I was genetically prone to cancer and that came back negative. He said all my hormone levels were perfect for a man my age. Wow! I sure feel good about that prognosis. Still, to be on the safe side, he wants me to have a minimum treatment of radiation and chemo. I'll get a PET scan to look for any abnormalities anywhere else in my body and then see an oncologist for the treatments. I like that approach because it's like wearing a belt and suspenders.:)

My surgeon also said I'd probably be able to predict any weather change through the winter because my incision would become more sensitive as it healed. He wants me to wait 6 months before doing any heavy lifting, but I can go back to all other normal activities right now.

I wasn't as quick as I should have been with seeing a doctor about my lump, but I did get it done fairly early. That's the key to this being a bump in the road instead of a mountain to climb. Guys, don't be afraid. Be man enough to take care of yourselves and don't put it off. That's the best advice I can give. I hope nobody has a problem, but if you think you have one, get it checked out so you can live to be old and cranky.:D

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #36  
Glad to hear the results Jim!

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #37  
Jim, Great news!!!

I just had a PET scan Tuesday, nothing to it. It's not noisy like a MRI - no ear plugs needed. The only anxious part was when they injected a med to dilate the blood vessels to stress the heart, but they will skip that part on you. The PET scanner seems to be a really important diagnostic tool for both heart disease and cancer.

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #38  
Always glad to hear good news, Jim.

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #39  
Thanks for sharing, Jim and best prayers and thoughts on your recovery.

Not sure how I missed this before, but glad I found it and read your story, important stuff.

David Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet