About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #61  
We have Medicare and the AARP (United Healthcare) supplement so we never have any copay for doctors, hospitals, and labs, but of course we pay $275 a month for that. Then we pay another $310 a month for the United Healthcare prescription coverage (Medicare Part D) and we do have copays for that. And I've been told to expect about a 5% increase in the cost next year, but don't know the exact amount for sure yet.

Bird,
I'm sure you started a comparison discussion on this one:laughing:

We pay each...
$100 a month for Medicare Part B ( which You probably do to, but forgot)
$175 a month each for the copay and out of hospital coverage from USAA who actually uses Humana
$18 a month each for Part D which is Humana but really Wall-Mart. But we mail order the drugs from "Right Source"
The drug plan has a $300 up front deductible each but with the various ways they offer it and the drugs we take that way is the cheapest for us.
And that's after paying many, many thousands into Medicare while we were working.

And who are these young politicians that say Medicare is cheap for old folks?:rolleyes:

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #62  
Bird,
I'm sure you started a comparison discussion on this one:laughing:

We pay each...
$100 a month for Medicare Part B ( which You probably do to, but forgot)
$175 a month each for the copay and out of hospital coverage from USAA who actually uses Humana
$18 a month each for Part D which is Humana but really Wall-Mart. But we mail order the drugs from "Right Source"
The drug plan has a $300 up front deductible each but with the various ways they offer it and the drugs we take that way is the cheapest for us.
And that's after paying many, many thousands into Medicare while we were working.

And who are these young politicians that say Medicare is cheap for old folks?:rolleyes:

Yep, we actually pay $104.90 each for Medicare Part B.
The $275 a month is for both of us for the Medicare Part B supplement, and it covers the deductible and copay, so we don't pay anything.
But $18 each; i.e., $36 for Part D when ours is $310??? We do get some prescriptions at Walmart for anything that's a month or less. For continuing prescriptions, our mail order provider is OptumRx which used to be called "Prescription Solutions". But there's no deductible. Mail order copay is Tier 1 - $20, Tier 2 - $50, or Tier 3 - $100 for a 3 month supply.
I only take one Tier 1 prescription, Atorvastatin to keep the cholesterol down, so United Healthcare sure makes money on me.
However, my wife is another matter. United Healthcare actually pays more for her medications than we're paying premiums; about $400 a month, in fact.

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men
Just after my surgery, I not only posted here on TBN, but also noticed our local Newspaper, the Wise County Messenger is doing a breast cancer awareness campaign about people and the resources available locally. I sent them my story and they published it. Maybe I can help other men overcome their shyness and protect themselves. If not, maybe their wives will be "looking over their shoulders" to help in self-examination as a result of my speaking up.

Here's a link to the story. I'm on page 19 of this very big PDF file if you are interested in reading my story again. It's pretty much a duplicate of what I wrote here on TBN.

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #64  
Jim
Continue to heal well ! In my thoughts and prayers also, and big thanks for posting this thread and the heads up !

Boone

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #65  
Jim, glad to see you're becoming a celebrity in your own time.:laughing: Cancer is definitely not something to be taken lightly, but at least it isn't the death sentence it used to be. It seems that a cure is becoming more and more common. Good luck with all the trips to Wichita Falls.

I finally got the results of my PET scan yesterday. The scan showed slight involvement of the bone. This is not unusual for breast cancer to do that. My oncologist says the Chemo treatments will not change since that is still in the realm of my stage and prescribed treatments. One thing has changed, instead of having chemo treatments every two weeks, it will be one every three weeks. The nurse said she did not know why the Dr. first said every two weeks. Of course that pushes my final treatment out several more weeks after which another PET scan will show the prognosis. I'm scheduled to begin chemo on Monday, Oct. 7th.

The nurse spent an entire hour with us to describe the treatments, side effects, and other drugs that would be given to mitigate the side effects. I was very impressed with how they do detailed planning for each patient and make themselves easily available to give prescriptions or help even through the weekends. They seemed to leave no "stone" unturned. The clinic is Texas Oncology. While it is obvious that cancer treatment is big business, they also seem to be quite attentive to your needs. I'm sure each clinic has it's own personality that reflects the people working there.

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #67  
I'm sure each clinic has it's own personality that reflects the people working there.

That is definitely a fact.:laughing: In the last 12 years, we've had dealings with a number of people at 4 of their facilities; mostly positive, but not all.

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #68  
jinman; You know that you have MANY friends here on TBN, and some of us could drive to help, if needed. Please, let us know, if you need anything, while undergoing the chemo. Otherwise, we'll keep you in our thoughts and prayers, and take each step with you, until you do ask for something!

I'm off to get my chemo port installed this morning. The hardest part is not drinking anything before the surgery. I can stand not eating, but the not drinking is tough. . . no coffee. We have to be in Wichita Falls, TX at 6:30, a 1-hr drive. Tomorrow morning at 10 AM I have my first chemo treatment, also in Wichita Falls. After that, three weeks until more.:)

/ About 1 in 100 breast cancer cases are men #70  
Good luck, jinman! It is hard for several of us to go without that morning coffee! Last time I had to, for a surgery, I made them put caffeine in my IV bag. They were happy to do so, as my smile was fading, and they were afraid to see what might follow!

Thanks for the update!