Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Farmall 140

hi guys, new here. well i just bought me a Farmall 140 ( my first tractor ) I been lurking around and found out that this tractors are known to be reliable and last a good while. I dont reilly know that much more about it, but i got it to crank and the engine sounds in good shape, the transmission grinds a lilttle when i put the gear in, but it does run and the hydraulics work.
    I do however have an issue with the PTO. my guess was that the PTO would turn wheneaver the tractor was in gear? it didnt seem to happen that way so now im confused. i looked around for a lever or something that would engage it but no luck. also this model seems to have 2 levers for the hydraulics, left side and right one? the reason im asking this is because the left side lever is stuck and doesnt seem to be working. if anibody has any imput for me it would gladly be appreciated!! thanks

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kioti CK20HST

Thumbs up Re: Farmall 140

Quote Originally Posted by joc View Post
    hi guys, new here. well i just bought me a Farmall 140 ( my first tractor ) I been lurking around and found out that this tractors are known to be reliable and last a good while. I dont reilly know that much more about it, but i got it to crank and the engine sounds in good shape, the transmission grinds a lilttle when i put the gear in, but it does run and the hydraulics work.
    I do however have an issue with the PTO. my guess was that the PTO would turn wheneaver the tractor was in gear? it didnt seem to happen that way so now im confused. i looked around for a lever or something that would engage it but no luck. also this model seems to have 2 levers for the hydraulics, left side and right one? the reason im asking this is because the left side lever is stuck and doesnt seem to be working. if anibody has any imput for me it would gladly be appreciated!! thanks
    1. transmission grinds; its a manual sliding gear 4spd, they grind if the clutch is not disengaged or you shift too fast, they can be shifted on the go if your careful, usually only 3 to 4 for road speed.
    2.issue with the PTO; there is a lever to engae PTO, clutch must be engaged to operate. also when clutch pushed in PTO will stop
    3.2 levers for the hydraulics, left side and right one; correct this was a specialized cultivator tractor, the levers operated the cultivator arms on the respective side. the lever maybe stuck or linkage jammed.
    4.Get an Owners Manual on line or order at a Case IH dealer, if you are mechanical at all and want to do some of the work yourself, get ashop repair manual too, both are always a good investment, will save you hundreds or tghousands of dollars. You bought a great tractor, I'd love to have one again. We had Super A and a 140, great tractors and if you have any one point quick hitch implements they are worth a lot today.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 6000 MWFD, 2 1950's Farmalls, 1974 Farmall 140, 1967 Mf 135Delux

Default Re: Farmall 140

140 maybe the best crop tractor ever built and is the "final" gas version of the offsets from IH. The hyd levers may be stuck because there is a "stop" positioner on each one..(should be there anyway). The lever may be on the wrong side of the positioner..the positioner can be moved to make the lever stay where you want it..I have a '74 key start 140 with Fast Hitch.. I've got the 1 pt corn planter (two row), 1 pt moldboard plow, and cultivators...enjoy...now get the operator's manual....BobG in VA

Tractor
    Farmall 140's

The PTO lever is located to the left of the seat, almost under the seat.

Good luck with your 140, they are really amazing tractors. There will be tons for you to learn about them. Like was said before, get yourself some manuals, that should be priority number one.
    Layne

I, too , have recently purchased my first tractor 1 140, It makes me smile everytime I look at it and it runs great. I have an aftermarket 3 point hitch, and just got a big ol' single bottom plow at TSC. Where is the best place to learn how to plow? Seat of the tractor? I want to find cultivators for the belly and used 3 point equipment. Any suggestions?

Tractor
    farmall 140

hey to all! I remember driving a 140 when i was a little boy, now I have purchased my own(and my first) tractor. The tractor is in great shape, or so it seems. It has been sitting for two years and the gas tank rusted inside and "flaked up", but with a little kerosene and a blow gun it cleaned right up. I also had to rebuild the carb. I was wondering what a fast hitch 2-bottom turn plow should go for on an old farmall. I hear they are hard to come by. I have NO implements and would like to start using a tractor instead of a tiller this spring. If someone could point me in a good direction all would be appreciated.

Tractor
    Kubota L4200

Quote Originally Posted by bigshows140 View Post
    hey to all! I remember driving a 140 when i was a little boy, now I have purchased my own(and my first) tractor. The tractor is in great shape, or so it seems. It has been sitting for two years and the gas tank rusted inside and "flaked up", but with a little kerosene and a blow gun it cleaned right up. I also had to rebuild the carb. I was wondering what a fast hitch 2-bottom turn plow should go for on an old farmall. I hear they are hard to come by. I have NO implements and would like to start using a tractor instead of a tiller this spring. If someone could point me in a good direction all would be appreciated.
    Suggest forgoing the 2-bottom and get a single.
    We bought a new 140 back in the 50's, tried a 12" 2-bottom. It's a bit much for a 140. Swapped for a single 16"; worked out much better.
    (Unless of course you're going to plow fairly shallow.)
    Arky

Tractor
    Cub Cadet Yanmar SC2400

Check out Antique Tractors - Yesterday's Tractors : Antique Tractor Headquarters they are a good source for links and info on antique tractors. I found a lot of sites for IH antique tractors just by doing a Google search. Have fun with it. These old timers are amazing machines.
    CCY SC2400, FEL, MMM, WB, Chore tote, Broadcast Spreader

Quote Originally Posted by joc View Post
    The PTO lever is on the left almost under the seat. You have to depress the clutch to engage it. If my memory is correct, the left hydraulic lever controls the rear hydraulics. The right lever controls the hydraulics in front of the driver.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    massey GC 2400 JD LA 145

glad you could buy your tractor, would like to have a 140 my self. Grew up on an A, an older model simular to the 140. Enjoy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast