FORD 2N OR 8N TRACTOR ID???

/ FORD 2N OR 8N TRACTOR ID???
Would the draft in down position be like "float" position thats on our front end loaders and dozers. Will draft work well for a howard hr-3-50" tiller? When you say 25hp on the drawbar??? that would be??? please excuse the lack of tractor knowledge..... Thank you again, it is much appreciated.

/ FORD 2N OR 8N TRACTOR ID??? #12  
great info, thanks very much. I assume I will find the ser # ontop of the head somewhere. and chassis #. The tractor came with the land and barn when my father in law bought it back in 84'. I found some pictures of it from 71' from the previous owner I believe, if its the same tractor. The tractor is like the 8n pictured in LD1's link but very faded paint and no rear headlight. Light surface rust as it has always been stored in the barn. From what he tells me its never had to be repaired other than a battery about 10 years ago when someone broke in and left keys & lights on. I don't know how but every season last 7 years I've been in the family it always does that long quiet chug of a turnover and starts right up. Any idea on what kind of HP it has? and what that draft control is??? Thanks again , its very interesting reading about the history of a piece of iron like this.

the link I gave you shows you EXACTLY where to look, including pics.

the ENGINE BLOCK on the left side, below the HEAD, on a 1x4 flattened boss will have the engines SN weakly hand stamped on it.. all 8n begin with 8n.. all 9n/2n begin with 9n

it's not uncommon to see 8n with 9n sn blocks. or vs a vis.. as the blocks are bolt compatible.

thus you have to look at casting dates to see if parts match.. in the end.. the 4spd trans mean you have an 8n.. a side distribuitor means a later 8n.. and an 8n engine usually, as it is alot of work to build up a side distrib block from a front mount.. just not economical to do so.. etc.

soudnguy

/ FORD 2N OR 8N TRACTOR ID??? #13  
Would the draft in down position be like "float" position thats on our front end loaders and dozers. Will draft work well for a howard hr-3-50" tiller? When you say 25hp on the drawbar??? that would be??? please excuse the lack of tractor knowledge..... Thank you again, it is much appreciated.

the lil 3" handle goes up for position control, and horizontal for draft control. draft is not flaot it is DRAFT it's for ground engaging implements like moldboard plows it lets you set the, for lack of a better word, drag the tractor hyds feel.. if the plow plunges deeper or the soil gets heavier, the hyds lift the plow a bit.. if the soil gets looser, the hyds drop the plow a bit.. all in trying to keep a constant amount of drag ( draft) as set by the sensitivity ( height ) of the 3pt handle, while the lil lever is in draft position.

N are not good rototiller machines unless they have an aux post tranny like a howard rotovator trans.. or possibly an everette trencher trans. otherwise 1st gear at pto speed is way too fast for a tiller.

DB hp referes to drawn implements, again.. like a plow. an N is a great 2 bottom plow machine where the bottoms are 14" or less.. or a single 16. N's can pull and lift a 6.5' disc usually, and can generally drag a non agressive leveling disc as well. or run a 5' rough cut 'hog' style mower, or a 6' finish mower.

soundguy

/ FORD 2N OR 8N TRACTOR ID??? #14  

Attachments

• serial1c.jpg
    serial1c.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 510
   / FORD 2N OR 8N TRACTOR ID??? #15  
It was all downhill after that as they lost ground to the competition and eventually were absorbed by some foreign outfit which has saw fit to drop the "Ford" name entirely.

Ford tractor production was purchase by Fiat in 1990 (80% the remaining 20% in 1993). It was merged with CaseIH in 1999 (also owned by Fiat). Fiat was allowed to use the Ford blue oval signature until 1995 and the block lettering Ford name until 2000. Fiat didn't "see fit" to drop it but was required to by Ford. So they consolidated names (Heston, Ford, Case, IH, New Holland, Versatile) into a smaller number of name plates: CaseCE, and New Holland for the construction lines. CaseIH for the agricultural divisions.

I wouldn't say that the N tractors where the high point, but were the iconic Ford tractors as they were out front with the 3pt hitch and good all around tractor design. It could satisfactorily do all jobs on the farm or industrial (my dad's '41 9N was the phone company mowing machine until it retired to farm for him in 1956:)). My 1983 340A backhoe was a hard working mule like the Ns. Only replaced the battery and the drive universal for the hydraulic pump in 10 years of hard work. and only traded up to a larger Case 680CK for heavier work I now do.

Well I got lucky as I had a job in Marlette to do today, only 25 minutes from the cabin and I had my camera this time. Needed it for the job EST. I found several numbers but I'll start with the engine block

Engine block - <> 8N459016 <> DIAMONDS very unlevel stamping but clear
number behind the oil filter 5661437 with a circle around a star, steering box
tranny behind the muffler under the foot rest 1SK a big dot L8 now it also
could have been ISH dot LB
I also found a 9N543 on a arm from the 3pt under the seat.
then there was another # to the right of the E block # under the battery
it was 18 819 .2 this was a hard one to read and I'm not 100% its correct
then reading verticle it was 8N-C

I will post some pictures soon, Thanks again all, it is a fun experience learning all this. They are way more fun to work on than what I usually do.

/ FORD 2N OR 8N TRACTOR ID??? #17  
moter is an 8n.. lets see a pic of the chassie..

soundguy

Some tractor ****, how does it look?

Attachments

• DSC_0393.jpg
    DSC_0393.jpg
    322.1 KB · Views: 181
  • DSC_0403.jpg
    DSC_0403.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 166
  • DSC_0374.jpg
    DSC_0374.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 153
  • DSC_0375.jpg
    DSC_0375.jpg
    352.8 KB · Views: 564
More pictures

Attachments

• DSC_0367.jpg
    DSC_0367.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 216
  • DSC_0369.jpg
    DSC_0369.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 198
  • DSC_0370.jpg
    DSC_0370.jpg
    335.6 KB · Views: 663
  • DSC_0387.jpg
    DSC_0387.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 381
   / FORD 2N OR 8N TRACTOR ID??? #20  
side mount 8n.. no doubt about it.. hubs and brakes and hyds plus other details tell all.

soundguy