FORD 2N OR 8N TRACTOR ID???

/ FORD 2N OR 8N TRACTOR ID???
The proof meter says 3808.7 and I'm trying to learn how to read it...

Attachments

• DSC_0389.jpg
    DSC_0389.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 425
  • DSC_0402.jpg
    DSC_0402.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 545
  • DSC_0399.jpg
    DSC_0399.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 2,187
  • DSC_0379.jpg
    DSC_0379.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 739
Is that the rear brake adjuster with the toothed part near the PTO lever. Is there a place to find out more info/what they mean by the numbers.

Attachments

• DSC_0396.jpg
    DSC_0396.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 492
  • DSC_0377.jpg
    DSC_0377.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 760
  • DSC_0385.jpg
    DSC_0385.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 743
  • DSC_0372.jpg
    DSC_0372.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 2,150
   / FORD 2N OR 8N TRACTOR ID??? #23  
the toothed part is the parking brake sector plate.. engaged by a pawl on the brake linkage.

adjusting the rear drum brakes is done like most other drum brakes.. by spinning a star wheel that is hidden under the backing plate.. etc.

the sn is the important number.. rest are casting codes, and in some cases.. cast in assy and part numbers..

soundguy

Well its a mid to late 1952 with updated upper lift arms, that had the 9N # on it. Reading the info on that link.

/ FORD 2N OR 8N TRACTOR ID??? #25  
If the engine is original then the serial number indicates that you have a 1952 8N, the last year.

/ FORD 2N OR 8N TRACTOR ID??? #26  
side mount 8n.. no doubt about it.. hubs and brakes and hyds plus other details tell all.

soundguy

:thumbsup: Right on the money as always:thumbsup:

Thats a darn good looking 8n too. Only thing its missing is a sherman step-up step-down:laughing:

I am gonna search for a manual and some info on it for proper maintenance. I know the father in law will like to have it around. There is a nice NAPA dealer in town and 2 tractor dealers nearby. Although it hasn't needed any repairs it could use a good clean up and fluid change. Over the years less and less people go up, so now its pretty much a hunting cabin. Now that we are getting into the food plots since we seen how well they would work on the 120 we have. Some times if you make it easier , more interest and care will be done.

/ FORD 2N OR 8N TRACTOR ID??? #28  
That last picture (proofmeter) "prooves" that it is a 51 or 52, which in my opinion was the high-point of the Ford tractor company for many reasons. Most importantly, these were the most refined form of the N-series. It was not until Ford introduced, the N's Successor, the Jubilee, in 1953, that they began to give up ground to the competition until eventually going "belly-up" and getting abosorbed by Fiat. To me, the Jubilee was a step backward, turning a light, nimble, durable, in a class by itself, 2-plow tractor with excellent fuel economy, into a clumsy, awkward, not-too-efficient, weak-hydraulic, also-ran, 2-plow tractor, that had little hope of keeping up with the competition of the time as they too adopted the 3-point hitch. Part of the appeal of the 8n was the ease at which it could be hitched/unhitched from an implement. Even without a quick hitch, I can have that job done on my 51 8N in under a minute, mainly due to the tractor's light weight, and convenient location of the lift lever. When I compare that to my nieghbor's 53 Jubilee, that I did some work with when I was young, that job was much more difficult because of that tractor's increased bulk. The 51 is my real favorite and I will admit that may be partially due to the fact that it was the first tractor I owned. I wouldnt be too surprised, if Ford tractor co. was like several other OEM's with whom I am familiar, that "questionable" parts found thier way onto the 52's as the company was tooling up for the completely redesigned 1953 models. I guess that would make the 1951 model 8N, coincidentally my first tractor purchase, which I still own, the true "high-water" mark for the Ford tractor company. If any one has any reason it should be some other year or model, feel free to tell us why. One things we know for sure though, your choice wont have as good of parts availibility.

Last edited:
   / FORD 2N OR 8N TRACTOR ID??? #29  
I know this must be a common question, and I hate bothering people. BUT from what I've been reading here so far there are alot of junkies on here that love to just talk tractors, and thats never a bother. It always brings out new info and history.

What my father in law has at the cabin is a ford n series tractor with bad brakes. I am trying to figure out what year model it might be to keep an eye out for parts. HP rating too.

1. has 4 speed + R
2. clutch pedal on left side
3. 2 ?brake? pedals on right- 1 might be a pto clutch???
4. front bumper which I haven't seen in any of the pictures thru searching here so far
5. 3 pt control lever on right side next to seat w/stop adjuster
6. AMP guage and another rpm? guage but not one I have seen before
7. head lights and pull switch on left side of steering wheel
8. 3" lever right next to up and down 3pt lever...what it does ????
9. pto engage lever left side under seat.
10. 6 volt electrical system

best I can think of off the top of my head, its 90minute north of me and I won't be able to take pics for 2 weeks. Thanks for any help

This website might help

Change history '39-'64 Ford Tractors

/ FORD 2N OR 8N TRACTOR ID??? #30  
To me, the Jubilee was a step backward, turning a light, nimble, durable, in a class by itself, 2-plow tractor with excellent fuel economy, into a clumsy, awkward, not-too-efficient, weak-hydraulic, also-ran, 2-plow tractor, that had little hope of keeping up with the competition of the time as they too adopted the 3-point hitch. .

NAA hyds were 'as strong' as 8n hyds, and were live, unlike the 8n. Naa piston was same diameter, and pump flow was similar to the 8n. later piston pumps went up to 4gpm.

the van pump was a bit of a diaspointment.. but that was quickly remidied.

8n had no provision for remote hyds and 3pt at the same time. naa did.. thought the valve is now hard to find. 55+ fixed that even better.

N hyds were / are easier to adjust and work on than NAA hyds though...

soundguy