Yep I think I'm going to be a pain for a while

/ Yep I think I'm going to be a pain for a while #1  

rjhans53

Bronze Member
Tractor
Iseki 1910 Ford 8n B
Ok so right wrong or indifferent I've decided that I need to replace the steering box. The tractor is a 8n B. The existing steering box is an old model, the "spare" that came with the tractor that was rebuilt 3-4 years ago is a new model(I checked and the thing still is full of oil). I clamp a cross t on the column and the spare turns to me what seems right. Now I think I need the new steering arms and in steves antique tractors (I think that is what it is) he talks about moving the right tie rod to the left side and the right to the left because one is longer, I measure them and see no differences except the left is turned out a whole bunch so and the arm in the wheels in the center position is way back by the clutch peddle, is this the way it should be??
And guys THANKS FOR THE HELP
Ron

Last edited:
   / Yep I think I'm going to be a pain for a while #2  
I think they are the same but the left side sits farther back (towards your left leg) then the right side.
You should get yourself an I&T shop manual (FO-4) they are a great help for repairs.
SG will be along shortly to give you better insight then me lol.
I have to ask though, why do you think it needs replacement?

/ Yep I think I'm going to be a pain for a while
this has been kicked around in a post about my hydraulics. But basically the right front wobbles like heck at 4th 1/2 throttle. When I raise the front of the tractor and pull on the tire the right front moves (along with the tie rod and steering arm probably 5-15 degrees before the steering wheel moves, when I do the same to the left there is no movement at all with out the steering wheel moving when the wheel is turned. Now if there is another secret I'm all ears. ON the manual, just ordered one, thanks

/ Yep I think I'm going to be a pain for a while #4  
What are you doing driving around in 4th? Put in in 2nd, presto! Problem solved.;)

sure would make the 3 mile drive down to the food plot a long one

/ Yep I think I'm going to be a pain for a while #6  
I can attest to that, takes long enough in 4th!!! Lol

/ Yep I think I'm going to be a pain for a while #7  
yes..t he arms should be swept back when the box is at neutral. easy to check. turn it lock to lock. count turns. then go half way. watch arms as you do this. easy to see their range of movement.

SG both arms, the right one is right at 6 oclock low

/ Yep I think I'm going to be a pain for a while #9  
if both arms are not slightly swept back at middle neutral,, then i'd guess the box is timed wrong.

Ya know I'm 60, you would think by now I would learn. I need to take her for a spin but after all this worry and headache, I think I found the problem, I just go 1 1/2 to 2 full turns on all the lug nuts, wow you would think I would start with the simple 1st, Oh well I still have the hydraulics, the gas tank, the carb and the lights to fix