861 diesel problems

/ 861 diesel problems
8-15-14_861-LS engine 1.jpg
noticed this (seepage) along left side under head. Don't appear to be a problem though.

/ 861 diesel problems
8-15-14_861-RS engine 4.jpg
seller told me he had recently spent $600 on a fuel pump rebuild. ???

/ 861 diesel problems #13  
I still think it is an issue with the fuel injection pump. Could you see the gear for the injection pump? Did it turn normally with the crank and cam gear?

/ 861 diesel problems #14  
   / 861 diesel problems
Took a few days break, but worked on my 861 some today. First I took loose the fuel line from the inlet side of the fuel pump to verify that the fuel filter was not stopped up. Fuel ran out in a steady clear stream. Turning the valve off, I pulled the fuel filter because I wanted to change it anyway. I removed the fuel filter housing because it had rust sediment in the base that I wanted to clean it out. Is that a problem or can I count on the filter stopping it from entering the fuel pump?

I got side engine cover off today. I almost got frustrated enough to pull the fuel pump off too, but I finally managed to force it past the battery box and out. I noticed one rod was loose enough to spin with my finger but depending on valve lash clearance I did not think that too loose to be a major problem. None appeared bent. Turning the engine over they all moved up and down. Nothing seemed wrong just looking at them.

I did have to disconnect the fuel return line to get the cover out and was surprised the fuel continued running out of the return line. I have almost a full tank and lost about a half gallon of fuel before I got the cover out and reconnected the return line to the fuel pump. Is that normal for fuel to flow steady back out of the return line?

I also noticed a steady (every 30 seconds or so) drip out of the inlet side of the fuel pump now that I have the filter housing/line removed. Problem? Would a manual cut off or one way valve placed somewhere near the tank in the return line stop the back flow when the engine is off? Should the pump steady drip at the inlet? Need rebuilding?

I guess my next step is to remove hydraulic pump or should I test it first?

Thanks for all your ideas.

/ 861 diesel problems
I checked my book and went back look at that loose push rod. #2 Exhaust seems too loose where I can actually notice some side to side movement at the the top. I have an open/closed valve diagram in my book. I want to use to go back tomorrow and check each push rod more closely. Thunder boomers going off right now so I'm done for today.

/ 861 diesel problems
8-21-14_GEARS 1.jpg
Good news - bad news; and I really don’t like the bad news. Finally figured out my problem. After failing to get the pump to prime, I removed it. Not only is the hydraulic pump gear and pump shaft in bad shape, the drive gear on the cam is missing teeth and spinning freely/wobbling on the camshaft. At the very least a new camshaft, gears and new pump. Might as well rebuild the &^$#$@!!^%!!!! POS while I got it apart. Not a happy camper.
8-21-14_GEARS 3.jpg

/ 861 diesel problems #18  
wow that gear looks bad!

do yourself a favor.. when you repalce it. check the relief...

/ 861 diesel problems
Yea, both gears are spinning on the shafts like the shafts or gear centers (or both) are wallowed out and shot. I'm concerned about the block where the rear of the cam shaft rides or the shaft bearing(s). If my camshaft at the rear was moving around (wobbling) that may have caused the engine problems. Where is a good source (of cheaper than New Holland dealer prices) for parts?

/ 861 diesel problems #20  
ebay has a ton of parts. once you get the cam out.. let me know.. I know a few guys that part machines.

user rickb used to have a diesel powernaster.. it made a window in the block. not sure if he still has the cam and pump.. but he might. I bought some of the tractor off him a while back.,