861 diesel problems

/ 861 diesel problems
Will a hydraulic pump from a 671 Ford fit my 861 diesel? It looks to be identical to mine, but pictures can be deceiving.

/ 861 diesel problems #22  
yup.. all the cylindrical pumps from 55-64 swap.

/ 861 diesel problems
Well, I missed the deal on the used pump but began looking into rebuilding mine. The shaft broke but the gear appears reusable, but I'll need to find the forked piece that screws into the shaft that drives the tach cable 9-1-14_pump.jpg

/ 861 diesel problems
9-1-14_Head 1.jpg
Got the head off.

/ 861 diesel problems
9-1-14_Block 1.jpg
With any luck (been missing that) I'll have the engine on a stand in a few days.

/ 861 diesel problems #26  
Keep us posted

/ 861 diesel problems
I know both the hydraulic pump gear shaft broke and the hydraulic drive gear on the rear of the camshaft stripped gears and came off the camshaft. I've replaced the pump gear and shaft. I'm in the process of cleaning head, lapping valves and cleaning valve train parts. I had a slight setback when my r/f tire suddenly went flat before I pulled the axle, but I have installed a new tube and used the old tube to cut-up into a wheel liner before I put it back together to prevent wheel rust flakes from puncturing this new tube again. I still need to pull axle/engine and check out the cam & failed drive gear. What I don't for sure is what caused the pump shaft and cam hydraulic gear failure to begin with. Luckily for me my procrastination can also be linked to being volunteered to do grandson chauffeur and baby-sitting duties each afternoon, which has thrown a wrench into my best laid mice plans. As the sign on the on the back of a semi-trailer crawling up a mountain grade reads, "I might be slow, but I'm ahead of you."

/ 861 diesel problems
Took the valves out of the head today after cleaning the old gasket material from the bottom. I must have chiseled 3 shot glasses of carbon from #1 exhaust port; some chunks the size of marbles and 3 more shot glasses full from the rest. It couldn't have been breathing too good. What would cause such an excessive carbon build-up? Or is it just 58 years of use?

/ 861 diesel problems #29  
58 ys of use on a non turbo diesel.. and it may have seen extended idling.

/ 861 diesel problems #30  
As the sign on the on the back of a semi-trailer crawling up a mountain grade reads, "I might be slow, but I'm ahead of you."

That's is funny, I bet a few people would be upset following that slow truck staring at that sign. Lol