CAN AN 8N FORD RUN A "60" TILLER ???

/ CAN AN 8N FORD RUN A "60" TILLER ??? #1  

fried1765

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, 8N Ford, Gravely 12 HP "Professional", 48" SCAG Liberty
I have repeatedly read that the slowest gear on an 8N is too fast for a tiller.
I have a 60" tiller for use on my Ford 1920, and am wondering if I could also use the tiller on my particular 8N.
My 8N (1951) has a Sherman combo transmission, so 1st gear in the Sherman low position is quite slow.
Would that work satisfactorily with my tiller?

/ CAN AN 8N FORD RUN A "60" TILLER ??? #2  
No, still not slow enough.

The only way to get marginally successful results tilling with an 8n is with a reverse rotation tiller.

/ CAN AN 8N FORD RUN A "60" TILLER ??? #3  
I thought I read somewhere the Sherman lowers the speed of 1rst gear, but also slows the speed of the PTO, so it still may not work well with a tiller

/ CAN AN 8N FORD RUN A "60" TILLER ??? #4  
Sherman still has 540 PTO in low range. Pto is faster in standard and high range..
The issue is the ground speed, of a non Sherman 8n is 3.7 mph. Sherman only lowers it to 2.8. still about 3 times too fast

/ CAN AN 8N FORD RUN A "60" TILLER ???
Sherman still has 540 PTO in low range. Pto is faster in standard and high range..
The issue is the ground speed, of a non Sherman 8n is 3.7 mph. Sherman only lowers it to 2.8. still about 3 times too fast

Thank you!
That is exactly the information I was looking for!
I will stick with using the tiller on the 1920 only.
8N might work with the 5' bush hog though, and I do have a Caroni PTO override clutch.

/ CAN AN 8N FORD RUN A "60" TILLER ??? #6  

I just sold my 8N with the Sherman over-under this spring. I'm 100% positive that putting it in low also reduced the PTO speed. There's no 540 in low range.

My dad used a 50" tiller on that 8n for years. It was terrible. He did accomplish the task at hand, though. It did require plowing first, and more than one pass with the tiller. Stick to your other tractor for tilling b

/ CAN AN 8N FORD RUN A "60" TILLER ??? #7  

Thank you!
That is exactly the information I was looking for!
I will stick with using the tiller on the 1920 only.
8N might work with the 5' bush hog though, and I do have a Caroni PTO override clutch.

That might be the info you are looking for, unfortunately it is inaccurate info. A Sherman transmission will alter the PTO speed by the exact same percentage that the ground speed is altered. Fact.

/ CAN AN 8N FORD RUN A "60" TILLER ??? #8  
I bought my King Kutter 60" tiller from a guy who bought it to use behind his 8N. It did not work. He kept it for a few years thinking he would get a larger tractor, but never did. I was able to buy it for 50% off retail. It was a few years old, but only had been used once.

/ CAN AN 8N FORD RUN A "60" TILLER ??? #9  
I just sold my 8N with the Sherman over-under this spring. I'm 100% positive that putting it in low also reduced the PTO speed. There's no 540 in low range.

My dad used a 50" tiller on that 8n for years. It was terrible. He did accomplish the task at hand, though. It did require plowing first, and more than one pass with the tiller. Stick to your other tractor for tilling b

low range PTO speed at WOT 545
standard range ....................823
High range...........................1231

So yes, changing the sherman changes PTO speed. But low range is where 545 starts at full throttle

http://www.oldfordtractors.com/sherman/shermco.jpg

/ CAN AN 8N FORD RUN A "60" TILLER ??? #10  
low range PTO speed at WOT 545
standard range ....................823
High range...........................1231

So yes, changing the sherman changes PTO speed. But low range is where 545 starts at full throttle

http://www.oldfordtractors.com/sherman/shermco.jpg

Interesting. Thanks for that. I didn't know the RPMs associated with WOT in each range, just that it slows the PTO. I appreciate the link.