After market string trimmer head options that actually work

/ After market string trimmer head options that actually work #31  
When I bought my Stihl trimmer I go the Easy Cut head - let's just say I am less than impressed. While it works fairly well and i can put 20' of string in it (full) and not have it not up it also takes three hands or two and a vice to wind it in so that it does work because it takes two hands to turn it and somebody else to keep a little tension on the string. I usually use Stihl string but it works the same with other string.
I have tried the little plastic blades head for this trimmer but was very disappointed in performance and the vibration is dramatic if one blade gets damaged.
I bought the Stihl trimmer because I so loved my Stihl chainsaw which I have had about 16 years now and it works like a dream. I have never been happy with the string trimmer because even though I bought the 4 cycle engine for low vibration it still has very excessive vibration in my opinion even though the dealer says it is normal. My lower right arm goes numb if I use it for more than twenty minutes without a break. If I put the shoulder strap on it just pounds and I cannot wear ear muffs. So even though it starts and runs very well and cuts like a banshee I do not recommend it or the Easy Cut head.

Ear plugs do not work? They come in different sizes if you happen to have small or large ear canals.

I get buzzy fingers after a few hours of using my old Stihl FS66 with an Autocut head. I do a full load which is pretty easy to do even with that head which is probably 21 years old. The trimmer was sold in 1991.

/ After market string trimmer head options that actually work #32  
Ear plugs do not work? They come in different sizes if you happen to have small or large ear canals.

For some reason the vibration comes through the strap and it is a pounding inside my head and this is the only way I get that. It does not matter if I use ear plugs or ear muffs. I just leave the strap off and use ear muffs to protect my hearing but it sure would be nice to be able to use a strap to support the trimmer weight.

/ After market string trimmer head options that actually work #33  
For some reason the vibration comes through the strap and it is a pounding inside my head and this is the only way I get that. It does not matter if I use ear plugs or ear muffs. I just leave the strap off and use ear muffs to protect my hearing but it sure would be nice to be able to use a strap to support the trimmer weight.

Try a 4 point forestry harness.

It allows the weight to be carried by your shoulders and it does a great job of isolating the vibs.

I have one on my spacing saw. It would be impossible to use it without that strap.Duo-Balance 35 Harness - Harnesses

213332ee.jpg

/ After market string trimmer head options that actually work #34  

I notice and feel noises and vibrations that are always there but are noticed differently when wearing ear protection. Earlier in the thread someone posted a link to The Trimmer Assist - Strap For String Trimmer which uses bungee cords to attach the trimmer to your shoulder harness. I was looking for bungee material yesterday to try it out. It would seem that the bungee is going to dampen some of the vibrations that a directly attached harness would transmit. My Stihl has a shoulder harness and I also have the big harness like Scooby shows for running a saw blade on the Stihl. The Husky trimmer has no harness and it is not the pleasure of the Stihl with the handlebar. I will sometimes wear the Stihl vibration gloves. Anti-Vibration Gloves - STIHL USA I also like bicycle gloves with Sorbothane. Some call them gel inserts. Deprecated Browser Error is a glove that has gel. Sorbothane is a cool product also used in baseball gloves.

If that sound transmission does not go away with bungee suspension then you might get some Sorbothane from McMasterCarr. The plain-back strips at 2" wide would be a perfect width for a harness when covered with a simple cloth cover with some velcro. McMaster-Carr

/ After market string trimmer head options that actually work
Another feature of the bungee cord on the Trimmer Assist is that I can thrust the trimmer forward into the weeds without having to walk forward or the strap wanting to rotate across my shoulder.
I too looked into buying bungee cords and harness material and making my own strap but in this case the possibility of it not working after spending practically as much and maybe more as just outright buying a Trimmer Assist was too much of a risk, after all the guy that designed it is a pro landscaper so I felt better in this case to just follow his lead. Glad I did.

/ After market string trimmer head options that actually work #36  
Well Nickel Plate, the Pivotrim seems real logical. I've been fooled before and I've been looking around for something that works too!
So, I ordered one today. Hope it works as well as described. Thanks...

Well Nickel Plate, the Pivotrim seems real logical. I've been fooled before and I've been looking around for something that works too!
So, I ordered one today. Hope it works as well as described. Thanks...
Did you order the same as mine as they do have several levels of product. The 5101PT-C, (or the 5101PT told it was the same model as the latter) retails for around $30.00. It is sort of ivory with a black ringed perimeter-probably a harder impact plastic and red/orange string attachments.
Please stay in the thread and let us know your findings as it seems that I am the only one (non-stockholder) who touts this thing.

/ After market string trimmer head options that actually work #38  
Didn't mean to hi-Jack this thread but I sure appreciate the ideas on the harness for the string trimmer. I will be trying some of them - haven't decided what yet but I sure learn a lot from this. Thanks!

/ After market string trimmer head options that actually work #39  
Nickel, I ordered the "Pivotrim Pro Trimmer Head". Directly from manufacturer. Not sure what the part number you listed. It was $29.95 and free shipping. Also got an email that it had shipped today too!

Nickel, I ordered the "Pivotrim Pro Trimmer Head". Directly from manufacturer. Not sure what the part number you listed. It was $29.95 and free shipping. Also got an email that it had shipped today too!
That's the one, Harry.