After market string trimmer head options that actually work

/ After market string trimmer head options that actually work
I have one and I love it...

dave,
I used it yesterday for the first time and was amazed how well it performed. Ran it for about 30 minutes and the strings are the same length as when installed however they have a roughed up feel to them but not any broken off. Back when I bought the JD the string was just round like spaghetti-now the strings have cutting edges-great improvement.
For ducks and kind of a NASCAR pit stop drill, I un-loaded and re-loaded fresh strings in the four head posts and it took about a minute and a half.
I also have the shoulder harness with the bungee cord and WOW! No more hefting that JD around with my arms alone. Some may think what a wuss but after shoulder surgery and yet the other side is getting worse, the simple harness is a weed eating life saver.

/ After market string trimmer head options that actually work #22  
What did you get for a shoulder strap?

/ After market string trimmer head options that actually work #24  
Doesn't get much simpler than that. Strap with balls...lol. :laughing:

/ After market string trimmer head options that actually work #25  
dave,
I used it yesterday for the first time and was amazed how well it performed. Ran it for about 30 minutes and the strings are the same length as when installed however they have a roughed up feel to them but not any broken off. Back when I bought the JD the string was just round like spaghetti-now the strings have cutting edges-great improvement.
For ducks and kind of a NASCAR pit stop drill, I un-loaded and re-loaded fresh strings in the four head posts and it took about a minute and a half.
I also have the shoulder harness with the bungee cord and WOW! No more hefting that JD around with my arms alone. Some may think what a wuss but after shoulder surgery and yet the other side is getting worse, the simple harness is a weed eating life saver.

Please, a question for you Piviot-trim guys......does the line really not break on hurricane fence?

/ After market string trimmer head options that actually work #26  
I am so tired of switching out various mega footage string trimmer spool heads and still winding up with tightly raveled "bird's nests". I have followed the directions time and time again-still wound and bound up!
I see that there are several aftermarket spool manufactures out there that offer spools that fit almost any straight shaft weeder that you only load two to four sets of 8"+- (buy pre-cut from them or cut your own from standard string stock) string per application and once destroyed, re-load in a minute or so and have at it again. Please offer up what works for you, brands and model numbers.

I used those bump type heads on my Tanaka TBC245PF string trimmer for about 6 years. When it crapped out, I was shopping for a replacement when I noticed the type of head that uses precut (16.5" long) strings. Bought one this season and haven't looked back--much more convenient than that bump unit which was a bear to reload.

Please, a question for you Piviot-trim guys......does the line really not break on hurricane fence?
I don't actually know what hurricane fence is so I'll assume its chainlink, or woven wire. String is string-the attachment head just holds the string so I don't think from that standpoint the pivotrim is any better than all of the others however the pivotrim does have four rotating string pins which may add to the existing string "slap" that all string heads have, just try to find and use quality string (if there is such a thing).
Let me ask you this: How long does it take or how many feet of fence before you have to bump or replace your string? Knowing that, I can run a similar test-that may help us find the answer however even if I run with just two loaded pins, that's four strings in action.
The main reason I bought it was for the ease of replacing the strings which are simply one foot pieces of "you-cut" .095" or .105" string of your choice. No having to shag down any special OEM replacement string.

/ After market string trimmer head options that actually work #28  
Let me ask you this: How long does it take or how many feet of fence before you have to bump or replace your string? Knowing that, I can run a similar test-that may help us find the answer however even if I run with just two loaded pins, that's four strings in action.
The main reason I bought it was for the ease of replacing the strings which are simply one foot pieces of "you-cut" .095" or .105" string of your choice. No having to shag down any special OEM replacement string.

Hurricane fence is also chain link fence. I have a couple of hand held string trimmers, and a Troy Bilt 6HP walk behind which uses .155 size line. Trimming around chain link fence can "jerk" or grab the line and rip it right out breaking it off at the attachment point. If you are not careful, it will happen as soon as you get started. So it is possible to break it after just 1 foot. I find I get more control with the walk behind, walking backwards. Seems I am more able to stop it from grabbing. On TV they show the Pivot type completing several hundred feet without changing the line. Is this really true? Thanks.

Hurricane fence is also chain link fence. I have a couple of hand held string trimmers, and a Troy Bilt 6HP walk behind which uses .155 size line. Trimming around chain link fence can "jerk" or grab the line and rip it right out breaking it off at the attachment point. If you are not careful, it will happen as soon as you get started. So it is possible to break it after just 1 foot. I find I get more control with the walk behind, walking backwards. Seems I am more able to stop it from grabbing. On TV they show the Pivot type completing several hundred feet without changing the line. Is this really true? Thanks.
wirenut,
No chainlink anywhere out here in my area, it's all orchard, cattle and horse country so I can't run the PivoTrim as in your situation. We're going up to our Mariposa property next week and have a lot of mowing and string trimming to do so I will run a test using pre-cut PivoTrim line vs. a Shakespere bulk line to see if there is any significant difference between the two.
We have lots of sharp edged granite, stout saplings and some metal tee posts to work around amongst the weeds. Not exactly your scenerio but an obstacle structured string test nevertheless.
I still have the original PT strings at the original string length on the PT head and have trimmed our one acre home property with similar obstacles for I would say just over an hour with no string replacement so you won't see me going back to a bump head anytime soon.
For the test up in Mariposa which is far more vegetation dense I'll load with new PT pre-cuts (they included a second set in the purchase package) and fresh Shakespere cut-to-length pieces.

/ After market string trimmer head options that actually work #30  
When I bought my Stihl trimmer I go the Easy Cut head - let's just say I am less than impressed. While it works fairly well and i can put 20' of string in it (full) and not have it not up it also takes three hands or two and a vice to wind it in so that it does work because it takes two hands to turn it and somebody else to keep a little tension on the string. I usually use Stihl string but it works the same with other string.
I have tried the little plastic blades head for this trimmer but was very disappointed in performance and the vibration is dramatic if one blade gets damaged.
I bought the Stihl trimmer because I so loved my Stihl chainsaw which I have had about 16 years now and it works like a dream. I have never been happy with the string trimmer because even though I bought the 4 cycle engine for low vibration it still has very excessive vibration in my opinion even though the dealer says it is normal. My lower right arm goes numb if I use it for more than twenty minutes without a break. If I put the shoulder strap on it just pounds and I cannot wear ear muffs. So even though it starts and runs very well and cuts like a banshee I do not recommend it or the Easy Cut head.