Bad Boy ZTR mowers ?

/ Bad Boy ZTR mowers ? #51  
My Dad and I have been looking around at some zt mowers this week. Had pretty much settled on a Bush Hog estate series. My dad is a retired iron worker and loved the build on the Hog. However, we stopped by tractor supply to get some dog treats yesterday and saw the Bad Boy zt60 sitting there.

Let's just say those were some VERY expensive dog treats. :)

The thing is built like a tank, very simple and elegant design, mows well, but slips and slides like a 5 y/o at the water park. Called the nearest Bad Boy dealer (90 miles) and talked to him. Upshot of that convo is that we took the z26 back to Tractor Supply and am going to go look at a Pup series tomorrow.

Question 1: Is the extra 275 lbs of the Pup going to help with the slipping on the damp grass? We couldn't even take the z26 on any sort of slope, it was spinning wheels on the flat. And it hasn't rained here in 8 or 9 days.

Question 2: The BB dealer did say that we were making one mistake with it by trying to get used to it at low rpm. Said it was a bit counter-intuitive but that higher rpm and less acceleration would make for a better grip. Is this true or is he blowing smoke up my skirt?

Question 3: Would putting the bar tires on be of any significant help? Not really worried as much about tearing the lawn up - the bar tires on our JD 318 do a job of that in the spring as it is. And considering that even where the turf tire slipped, it barely disturbed the grass, I'm thinking that maybe the people who say the bar tires tear lawns up might be exaggerating a bit or making zero turns at higher speeds?

Question 4: does anyone have any experience with both the Bad Boy and the Bush Hog? My Dad is definitely wanting one or the other based upon the frame construction and materials used. (Once an iron worker, always an iron worker :p )

/ Bad Boy ZTR mowers ? #52  
tnak,

Been researching myself for a long time and decided on Bad Boy for me and my 72 yr old mother. Now you have me concerned. I'm suggesting to her the ZT26 as you bought. I'm in a pickle now......I talked her into it and she's tighter than "bark on a tree". I sure don't want to get her something that has issues. She lives by a RR track and on the small side of the RR ditch she likes to keep mowed. Don't sound like this thing would do it. I'm looking at a bigger one......lightning Z prob 31hp Kaw or the 26.....haven't decided.

/ Bad Boy ZTR mowers ? #53  
Well, the good thing is that Tractor Supply has a 30 day satisfaction guarantee. no restock fee.

We bought a trailer from them also. Nice trailer at a good price. When we went down the road to get it tagged, the place had a sign on the wall: "The bitterness of disappointment long outlasts the sweetness of low price."

My Dad is a bit on tight side as well - I suspect that it has to do with being children of the depression. But he taught me a long time ago that getting the right tool for the job always pays off in the long run. That's why we're headed to the dealer this morning.

/ Bad Boy ZTR mowers ? #54  
I stopped by a TSC yesterday and saw the Bad Boy model they carry. I noticed right away the solid front axle. I wonder if that is contributing to the slipping and slidding. Seems like there would be a lot of torgue on that frame with terrain changes. Looks like you need to get into the Lightning series to get the oscillating axle.

dsb

/ Bad Boy ZTR mowers ? #55  
Never ran a Bad Boy, but they do indeed look like they have a somewhat high center of gravity compared to other mowers. That's also been something that's come up on Lawnsite.

My Scag Turf Tiger has the gas tank under the seat between the frame rails, and the seat is actually lower than many other models. My Hustler held hills very well, but my Turf Tiger holds them like Velcro.

/ Bad Boy ZTR mowers ? #56  
tnak said:
My Dad and I have been looking around at some zt mowers this week. Had pretty much settled on a Bush Hog estate series. My dad is a retired iron worker and loved the build on the Hog. However, we stopped by tractor supply to get some dog treats yesterday and saw the Bad Boy zt60 sitting there.

Let's just say those were some VERY expensive dog treats. :)

The thing is built like a tank, very simple and elegant design, mows well, but slips and slides like a 5 y/o at the water park. Called the nearest Bad Boy dealer (90 miles) and talked to him. Upshot of that convo is that we took the z26 back to Tractor Supply and am going to go look at a Pup series tomorrow.

Question 1: Is the extra 275 lbs of the Pup going to help with the slipping on the damp grass? We couldn't even take the z26 on any sort of slope, it was spinning wheels on the flat. And it hasn't rained here in 8 or 9 days.

Question 2: The BB dealer did say that we were making one mistake with it by trying to get used to it at low rpm. Said it was a bit counter-intuitive but that higher rpm and less acceleration would make for a better grip. Is this true or is he blowing smoke up my skirt?

Question 3: Would putting the bar tires on be of any significant help? Not really worried as much about tearing the lawn up - the bar tires on our JD 318 do a job of that in the spring as it is. And considering that even where the turf tire slipped, it barely disturbed the grass, I'm thinking that maybe the people who say the bar tires tear lawns up might be exaggerating a bit or making zero turns at higher speeds?

Question 4: does anyone have any experience with both the Bad Boy and the Bush Hog? My Dad is definitely wanting one or the other based upon the frame construction and materials used. (Once an iron worker, always an iron worker :p )

Tnak,

Answer 1: The weight should help a little, but more what's going to help is the larger rear tires. Turf Masters are great tires, but the wider the better. Bar lugs grip best, or you could also try an ATV type of tire like the Carlisle HD Field Trax. What kind of slope are you trying to hold with this Z? Some slopes aren't built for Zs.

Answer 2: Your engine puts out peak torque at 3500-3600 rpms. By running it at low RPMs, you're not getting near the HP and torque you would be getting otherwise. There is a misconception by alot of folks that the mower handles slower and easier at lower RPMs. The exact opposite is true. Run your engine WIDE open. You should control your speed with the control levers, not the throttle.
Also, by running the engine at lower RPMs, you're running the blades at a much lower speed, which is not beneficial in most situations. Back off the blade speed only if you're in really really wet grass.

Also, by running the engine at a slower speed, you're spinning your hydro pumps slower, which means less hydro pressure and less responsiveness. Since your engine is not putting out peak torque at lower speeds, it will bog easier, possibly just by driving without even engaging the PTO.

Answer 3: (answered in answer 1)

Answer 4: The Bad Boy ZT is stouter than the Bush Hog. Look at pulleys, PTO clutch, spindles, frame, casters, caster tires, engine options, blades, etc. The Bad Boy will have the Bush Hog beat virtually at every one of those specs. The Bad Boy has a thicker deck, much heavier duty spindles, a higher blade tip speed (finer clippings), better engine specs, an electric deck lift, and more. Look closely at tech specs and you'll see the difference.

If you're comparing a Pup to a Bush Hog, there's absolutely no comparison. Bush Hog doesn't even hold a candle to it. A closer mower would be a Scag Tiger Cub, but you won't get near as good of engine options with the Cub.

As far as COG goes, the Bad Boy sits about 3" higher than most competitive models. The engine and heavy components actually sit closer to 2" higher than competitive models. I'm a Scag dealer as well, so I've done alot of A/Bing of the two. We sell the Bad Boys as our bang for the buck models. They're the only bang for the buck mower I would even consider selling side by side with Scag. Some lilek to refer to Bad Boy as a Scag without the price tag. There are some differences between the two mowers, but that's not a bad description. Bad Boys are tough as nails.

Let me know if I can be of any more assistance.

/ Bad Boy ZTR mowers ? #57  
dsb5610 said:
I stopped by a TSC yesterday and saw the Bad Boy model they carry. I noticed right away the solid front axle. I wonder if that is contributing to the slipping and slidding. Seems like there would be a lot of torgue on that frame with terrain changes. Looks like you need to get into the Lightning series to get the oscillating axle.

dsb

No, hill-holding really has more to do with tire size, weight distribution (and center of gravity), and speed. You have to really slow down on hills, and this is the case with any mower. Suspension only really increases traction when you're on rough terrain at higher speeds.

/ Bad Boy ZTR mowers ? #58  
tb8100 said:
No, hill-holding really has more to do with tire size, weight distribution (and center of gravity), and speed. You have to really slow down on hills, and this is the case with any mower. Suspension only really increases traction when you're on rough terrain at higher speeds.

All that, the conditions, and the actual degree of the slope also have an effect. Some slopes just aren't compatible with riding mowers.

/ Bad Boy ZTR mowers ? #59  
Got the Pup yesterday. World of difference. It handles the spots where the ztr slipped with no problems. (Note: since we had already taken the zt60 back, I don't know how much better it would have handled with high motor RPMs.)

And I thought the ztr was built..the Pup is even more impressive. I'm fairly certain one could do the Hollywood "drive through the barn doors" trick with it and the mower come through the other side unmarked. (Driver would have some issues I'm sure, but the mower would be still going. :D )

We did go with the 52" deck over the ztr's 60" though. The 60 was just a tad too wide for some of our trees anyway. And had the EZ-Ride front wheels put on it.

Note: wrote the above an hour or so ago and forgot to post it. Spent that time on the Pup. I think I'm going to load it back on the trailer and go show everyone who tried to sell us something else what a real machine looks like!!

I couldn't be happier with this thing unless it had a refrigerated beverage compartment. I may order the snow plow and bar tires and get rid of the JD lawn tractor completely.