Billy Goat Outback VS DR Brush Mower

/ Billy Goat Outback VS DR Brush Mower #21  
Just a follow on note. Since I bought my 18HP DR PRO-XL in June the price dropped by $250. So I called DR customer support gave them the order # and asked about their 6 month price guarantee. The rep checked the price, compared the deal and set up a credit to be applied to my Visa card - no muss, no fuss and very friendly about it.

She also pointed out that the current deal includes a 1 year warranty extension which was not part of my purchase - so she added that as well.

It's just refreshing to actually find good customer service these days.

/ Billy Goat Outback VS DR Brush Mower #22  
Just a follow on note. Since I bought my 18HP DR PRO-XL in June the price dropped by $250. So I called DR customer support gave them the order # and asked about their 6 month price guarantee. The rep checked the price, compared the deal and set up a credit to be applied to my Visa card - no muss, no fuss and very friendly about it.

She also pointed out that the current deal includes a 1 year warranty extension which was not part of my purchase - so she added that as well.

It's just refreshing to actually find good customer service these days.

I have a DR product also and have been very happy with their customer service.

/ Billy Goat Outback VS DR Brush Mower #23  
For folks with hills, the DR 16 and 18 has pressurized oil and gas.

More importantly for me is the DR is a system. Maintenance & upkeep are a pain (why buy 4 engines?). You can add a blade, a finish mower, a chipper, etc.

/ Billy Goat Outback VS DR Brush Mower #24  
Hey Scooby,

I have a suggestion for you... Have you tried the Little Wonder Brush Cutter? You can find a local dealer on their website littlewonder.com.

/ Billy Goat Outback VS DR Brush Mower #25  
Sounds like work I have done with the 54" MMM on my BX1500. Seems like ive done trees up to 2" in a pinch. Wouldnt recommend that, but 1" is surprisingly trivial,
larry

/ Billy Goat Outback VS DR Brush Mower
Hey Scooby,

I have a suggestion for you... Have you tried the Little Wonder Brush Cutter? You can find a local dealer on their website littlewonder.com.

Thats a real nice machine!

Looks more thought out than the DR or the BG. Solid linkage, hydrostatic and honda power.. Good choices.

How are they price wise compared to the DR? Are you affiliated with the company?

/ Billy Goat Outback VS DR Brush Mower #27  
I have a 2.5 acre pasture that is now overgrown, mostly with tall weeds, and a tractor & bushhog can only mow about 1 acre of it, so I need something for the rest - some of which is (a) really steep, and (b) wet - even in a dry year. I can always wait for the wet part to freeze up and mow the brush down then, but the steep part is a conundrum. I also want something that mulches like a regular brush hog. Which one would be the best - particularly for the steep part.

I'd appreciate any help since these things are expensive and I don't want to make a mistake. Thanks,

/ Billy Goat Outback VS DR Brush Mower #28  
I have a 2.5 acre pasture that is now overgrown, mostly with tall weeds, and a tractor & bushhog can only mow about 1 acre of it, so I need something for the rest - some of which is (a) really steep, and (b) wet - even in a dry year. I can always wait for the wet part to freeze up and mow the brush down then, but the steep part is a conundrum. I also want something that mulches like a regular brush hog. Which one would be the best - particularly for the steep part.

I'd appreciate any help since these things are expensive and I don't want to make a mistake. Thanks,

Depends on "steep" and "wet" definitions.

I doubt if any 2WD tractor will handle a slope. I owned a JD mower tractor for 5 minutes once. IMO you need a 4WD or AWD tractor on steep slopes.

Nothing I've used will run in wet mud. Mowers are heavy. Most small tractors use lawn treads. Aggressive tread tires will tear up the yard.

If you're over 30-40 degrees slope, it gets pretty tough. Even if adequately powered, you still are wrestling a very heavy mower. Have to drive the tractor straight up and down. Even then starts getting hinky above 30-40 degrees. Can't handle much of a side slope at all.

If you use a mower without pressurized gas-oil, you have a big heavy lump that you'll have to winch or tow out.

What folks with tough terrain use is goats. They eat everything up to about 7 feet. I assume you could rent them from a farmer. Even if you bought them, they're way cheaper than mowers/tractors and you can eat them.

I've used a pole saw on brush in tough terrain. Works well. But it's not easy. The Stihl pole saw vest is expensive but the best.

/ Billy Goat Outback VS DR Brush Mower #29  
Depends on "steep" and "wet" definitions.

I doubt if any 2WD tractor will handle a slope. I owned a JD mower tractor for 5 minutes once. IMO you need a 4WD or AWD tractor on steep slopes.

Nothing I've used will run in wet mud. Mowers are heavy. Most small tractors use lawn treads. Aggressive tread tires will tear up the yard.

If you're over 30-40 degrees slope, it gets pretty tough. Even if adequately powered, you still are wrestling a very heavy mower. Have to drive the tractor straight up and down. Even then starts getting hinky above 30-40 degrees. Can't handle much of a side slope at all.

If you use a mower without pressurized gas-oil, you have a big heavy lump that you'll have to winch or tow out.

What folks with tough terrain use is goats. They eat everything up to about 7 feet. I assume you could rent them from a farmer. Even if you bought them, they're way cheaper than mowers/tractors and you can eat them.

I've used a pole saw on brush in tough terrain. Works well. But it's not easy. The Stihl pole saw vest is expensive but the best.

Thanks - I wouldn't consider anything but 4WD or a self propelled brush mower on this terrain - everything here is either uphill or downhill - very little flat land anywhere. Even my hay fields are "rolling"! Goats are out of the question - you have to have really good fences, and I just have electric fence for my horses and investing in new fencing for a few goats isn't going to happen. Besides, the wolf who lives in the area would find them very tasty.

I stay out of the wet areas until they freeze in November, then mow the brush down and that has worked in the past.

I guess I'll just stick with my weed whacker and some spot-killing with Round-up for the hillside. I've got Wild Parsnips this year and I've got to get rid of it - nasty stuff!

Thanks for your help - I'll save my money!

/ Billy Goat Outback VS DR Brush Mower #30  
I rent Orec's flail mower couple times, it's different! Independent tracks and flail worked amazing!! I used to rent BG however after I tried orec's flail, I can't back BG or DR anymore. It does much finer cut than any rotary mower. It cut not only tall grass but also shrub or small tree without stress. I strongly recommend orec's flail mower!!
You should take a look at their demo video at Cyclone Flail Mower, track | Orec America

Last weekend i rented a Billy Goat Outback mower to maintain a piece of land i own. The mower was great on the smaller thorn bushes and heavy grass, but really struggled on any alders over 3/4". So it was back to the spacing saw and hand piling for the larger stuff.:mad:

I found the Outback was lacking the weight to push over the larger branches and seemed to jam up and stall the blade, not the engine. It also could have benefited from some sort of posi traction, because it always seemed to spin a wheel when you least wanted it. The back edge of the mower deck also hung up on 3-4" tall stumps from a previous cutting. The deck was set at max height.

How would a DR field mower cope with the larger alters, say 1"+? The alders around here usually grow in clusters of 3-4 "trunks" sharing a common stump. Would it have the weight to push it over and cut it?

How is the DR's traction and ground clearance? Would it hang up on the older stumps, or is the rear of the deck open? Its hard to tell from their website pictures.

After renting the outback, i don't think it fits my needs, however they are the only rough mower available locally and i really liked the Honda engine.

If the DR will handle the vegetation i need to control, then i will strongly consider buying one for next year, however, there's no DR dealer within 250 Mi. according to their website, so a hands on inspection would be out. Id hate to order one and have to send it back, even with their excellent return policy.

Hopefully someone on here will have used both machines and can do a direct comparison so I know whether the problems i had were due to the outback being a rental or just lacking in design.

I'm open to any suggestions for other machines as well. What about BCS? There's supposed to be a dealer in Halifax but they're $$$. Would it handle the alder clusters?

I'm still a few years away from my tractor and bush hog. It cant come fast enough lol.