Billy Goat Outback VS DR Brush Mower

/ Billy Goat Outback VS DR Brush Mower
I rent Orec's flail mower couple times, it's different! Independent tracks and flail worked amazing!! I used to rent BG however after I tried orec's flail, I can't back BG or DR anymore. It does much finer cut than any rotary mower. It cut not only tall grass but also shrub or small tree without stress. I strongly recommend orec's flail mower!!
You should take a look at their demo video at Cyclone Flail Mower, track | Orec America

Interesting rig,

Looks like its built from a Honda RotoTiller. Wonder what it costs?

/ Billy Goat Outback VS DR Brush Mower #32  
Couldn't find any for sale with a web search. But one site suggested it might be $2,500?

In any case, the key to working on STEEP land is pressurized gas & oil. Otherwise gas runs out of the carb and oil sensors shut off the engine. The Orec web site says: "How steep of a slope can I take the AHRC662 on?
We recommend no steeper than a fifteen degree slope due to the possibility of engine burn out. Please be sure to cut side to side rather than straight up and down for your own safety."

15 degrees?

/ Billy Goat Outback VS DR Brush Mower #33  
I have a Billy Goat with Honda power. Nice machine when used for what it's designed for. The Orec machine is really sweet looking, kinda like my Honda HS1132, but with a cutting deck.

/ Billy Goat Outback VS DR Brush Mower #34  
Not sure. However it must be more expensive than BG, because the rental cost is also higher.

Interesting rig,

Looks like its built from a Honda RotoTiller. Wonder what it costs?

/ Billy Goat Outback VS DR Brush Mower #35  
The track machine has small indicator for side slope. I tried it at about 15 degrees. It's pretty steep for me, but the machine was very stable due to track traction. I didn't need to use extra effort in pushing or holding the machine on the slope.
I think if you are familiar with the engine mechanism, you can use the orec's fail mower even over 15 degrees avoiding engine burn out. At your own risk though.

Couldn't find any for sale with a web search. But one site suggested it might be $2,500?

In any case, the key to working on STEEP land is pressurized gas & oil. Otherwise gas runs out of the carb and oil sensors shut off the engine. The Orec web site says: "How steep of a slope can I take the AHRC662 on?
We recommend no steeper than a fifteen degree slope due to the possibility of engine burn out. Please be sure to cut side to side rather than straight up and down for your own safety."

15 degrees?

/ Billy Goat Outback VS DR Brush Mower #36  
I have been looking at used Billy Goats and DR's for over a year and finally bit the bullet and purchased a 12.5 HP 26" pro DR. Brush mower. I do not work or have any affiliation what so ever with the DR company. I used it for the first time this weekend on and area of overgrow everything from sumacs to huge vines and everything in between. You could not look thru or walk thru this jungle of 6' high crap. I honestly thought the DR would get all tangled up with the vines, blackberry bushes, etc but I said what the heck and just dove into the area I have never in my life operated a better machine than that DR. It went thru everything I put in front of it. In about three hours I cleared and area of about 30 yards by 60 yards. The unit does hang up in reverse on like barberry hedge stumps but nothing to bad. I thought the 3 qt. gas tank (on the 12.5 hp units for some reason) was very small compared to their other machines that have 2.5 gal. but trust me, riding that baby for 1.5 hours I welcomed the break to refuel. My family could not believe what I had accomplished as our only other alternative was honestly going to be goats. Do not get me wrong it is not easy work but I went slow and I have to tell you the DR is a power house that stops at nothing. Well worth the money for sure. thanks

/ Billy Goat Outback VS DR Brush Mower #37  
I went with a BCS diesel which is modular with a PTO and let's me use tiller, rotary plow, grass mower (various types) chipper (various sizes), etc. Although I always modify things..... replace the painted steel flat bar holding the rubber on with stainless, Line-Xing the high wear areas, etc.

The top two DP models are great because they do have pressurized gas & oil which are important for my very steep property.

The BCS just offered more flexibility.

The BCS brush mower BTW runs its blades on a plate so if you hit anything the blades just roll back. Getting the plate off is a major pain, so my mechanic just drilled a hole in the deck (the blade bolts are on the top of the plate). Otherwise have to use a gear puller.

Enjoy your DP. :)

/ Billy Goat Outback VS DR Brush Mower #38  
I have been looking at used Billy Goats and DR's for over a year and finally bit the bullet and purchased a 12.5 HP 26" pro DR. Brush mower. I do not work or have any affiliation what so ever with the DR company. I used it for the first time this weekend on and area of overgrow everything from sumacs to huge vines and everything in between. You could not look thru or walk thru this jungle of 6' high crap. I honestly thought the DR would get all tangled up with the vines, blackberry bushes, etc but I said what the heck and just dove into the area I have never in my life operated a better machine than that DR. It went thru everything I put in front of it. In about three hours I cleared and area of about 30 yards by 60 yards. The unit does hang up in reverse on like barberry hedge stumps but nothing to bad. I thought the 3 qt. gas tank (on the 12.5 hp units for some reason) was very small compared to their other machines that have 2.5 gal. but trust me, riding that baby for 1.5 hours I welcomed the break to refuel. My family could not believe what I had accomplished as our only other alternative was honestly going to be goats. Do not get me wrong it is not easy work but I went slow and I have to tell you the DR is a power house that stops at nothing. Well worth the money for sure. thanks

I bought a used DR a few years ago....it has a 10.5 briggs engine. The machine is a workhorse. I have cleared acres of blackberry bushes and small alder trees (1 to 1.5 inches). You're right....it's a work out but that machine does the job. Another nice thing.....the company is a pleasure to deal with. When I bought the machine....they re-registered it in my name with no problem. Had to replace the wiring harness on it a few years ago.....called them and they were really helpful. New machines are pricey but are made well and deliver what they say.

/ Billy Goat Outback VS DR Brush Mower #39  
Have Dr. F & Brush mower with 15HP Kawasaki engine. It runs well, has limited slip diff, which makes turning difficult, but does render good traction. Beware of cutting thick brush on any slope; I nearly fell forward while mower was climbing up a stalk and when it cut through the deck dropped down and I had to fight being thrown in front of mower deck. Scary as he*l. Otherwise tough machine and works OP to pulp while cutting anything in its path. Suggest turning off fuel petcock when done for the day, and running carb dry to prevent fuel from messing up carb jets, etc. Have had two carbs on mine due to it being run into my pond by wife, glug, glug, glug!! #%&!!! Current carb, replaced one, (pond incident), Dr. tried to rebuild, unsuccessfully, then they covered me on this new carb's install; is now creating 'hunting' at/near idle RPMs. This probably caused by my using ethanol containing fuel and allowing it to sit in the carb when not in frequent use.

I now use ONLY non- ethanol fuel in all my engines on all equipment, except my vehicles. They're on a diet of corn and water!:shocked::confused2:

For real steep slope guy(s): there is no easy solution, except possibly using a hedge trimmer attachment that can articulate, like I have on my Echo split boom weed/brush, chainsaw, power-broom tool. It takes time, but is safest method I know of, and the hedge trimmer attachment cuts and drops the weeds/grasses instead of spreading them all over the place which might help deter further growth in the area too due to vegetation blocking sunlight to new/regrowth.

/ Billy Goat Outback VS DR Brush Mower #40  
Don't recommend the BCS because when you configure the machine for the brush attachment, the engine hangs out way past the wheels. It is impossible to get the machine to drive through 'potholes' in the terrain. The BCS is a well made tractor but like many multifunction machines, they don't do anything very well. The balance is just not right either