What's Eating Our Tomatoes?`

/ What's Eating Our Tomatoes?`
I left the tiny piece of the tomato that something ate the last two days, or nights, and I just happened to be sitting out in the shade an hour or so ago, when along came a mockingbird and went straight to that little piece of tomato.:eek: I know we used to have mockingbirds and blue jays that severely damaged fruit crops (such as our plums, pears, peaches, and apples), but I never heard of either one eating tomatoes before.

When I was a kid, everyone, including us, shot every mockingbird and blue jay we could because they were so destructive, but now they're protected by law.

/ What's Eating Our Tomatoes?` #12  
Bird,believe bats n.of the Mexico-Texas border eat insects ,no veggies. Might think about mice and their larger breathen rats. Also might be tomato hornworm. russ

/ What's Eating Our Tomatoes?` #13  
Bird, We actually encourage our BAT population, (they reside behind the shutters), because they control our mosquitoes. Lots of tomatoes every year and bats never touch 'em. Crows, yes, but one bite then move to the next. When I had Muskovey Ducks, they would destroy the tomatoes, but they are great for controlling barn flies. Sounds like your "perp" could be that Mockingbird. A late-night "stake-out" could prove it,..(are they nightbirds)? Also, now that our Ontario Government has stocked the area with wild turkeys, we are on the look-out to see what "garden" damage they "may" or may not do?
Good Luck to you Bird,
. . . Mike, (aka: tug)

Mike, the mockingbirds are not night birds, but they ARE the state bird of Texas.:D I was assuming the tomatoes were being eaten at night because I'd never seen anything go near the plants until today, and with other fruit, I was accustomed to mockingbirds pecking one hole in fruit then moving to the next fruit, never knew of them to eat the whole thing or to come back to one they'd pecked a hole in.

/ What's Eating Our Tomatoes?` #15  
Well OK Bird, . . sorry I can't offer anything further, (at the moment anyway). I guess these darned crows are our particular curse at the moment, . .bad enough they damage the fruit, but one hole and move on just makes you mad! Can you tie a few plastic bags together and run a small fan to blow, wave and snap the bags to scare your perp? Sorry, that's the best I can offer for now, (for a small plantation) . . .but as always, Best of Luck!!
. . . Mike

/ What's Eating Our Tomatoes?` #16  
Bird,believe bats n.of the Mexico-Texas border eat insects ,no veggies. Might think about mice and their larger breathen rats. Also might be tomato hornworm. russ

The bats here in Az must not have gotten the word. We sure got lots of fruit bats. They will suck a large hummingbird feeder dry in about 30 minutes.

And I just about gave up on tomatoes because of the mocking birds. Those suckers wait untill they just start to turn pink and then eatem.

And I just about gave up on tomatoes because of the mocking birds. Those suckers wait untill they just start to turn pink and then eatem.

Jim, that now appears to be exactly what's happening here. I don't know why I never had mockingbirds bother my tomatoes out in the country. Maybe it was because I had too much other fruit for them to eat out there.:D

And Mike, one year we had a real problem with crows; not with the tomatoes, but the crows dug up and ate every kernel of corn from my first planting, then got about half of the second planting. I kept chasing them off, even firing a shotgun, but they kept coming back until I finally shot and killed one and hung it on the fence by the garden. I'd heard that would keep them away and it certainly worked for me.

/ What's Eating Our Tomatoes?` #18  
Hey,...looks like Tombstone's got a good sized vote for the Mockingbird also, we don't have 'em up here, but it could be your answer Bird?

Thanks for the "Dead-Crow-Hangin-On-A-Fence" trick, we'll try that one soon when they start to ripen eh? (Had to toss in the "eh", just to authenticate my true Canuck status).

Take care eh,
. . Mike

/ What's Eating Our Tomatoes?` #19  
Have you considered putting some netting over the plants?:D

Have you considered putting some netting over the plants?:D

Egon, my wife asked me about that because she remembers one year in the country when we had a locust (grasshopper) infestation and a neighbor, as well as my wife's brother, put netting over their tomatoes (the grasshoppers ate through the netting). But, in my opinion, for tomato plants in a couple of flower pots, it wouldn't be worth it. But it may happen yet.:D