Chemical sprayer

/ Chemical sprayer #1  

VirginiaAgent

I recently purchased a FIMCO 40 gallon trailer sprayer to pull behind my garden tractor. I have 5 acres of pasture, and I've decided to start doing my own applications of liquid lime, fertilizer, and 2-4-d.

The sprayer had a 12v electric pump that produced 2.1 gallons per minute outflow at 60 psi. What I determined after a couple of uses, was that it was underpowered for what I was asking it to do. It would clog with only a little sediment and lose all pressure. An hour spent taking apart the pump and cleaning it, and I'd get another 30 minutes of spray time before pressure was lost again.

I returned it today, and talked to the salesman about ordering the gas powered pump version of this sprayer. It's a 2.5 hp, 6 gallon per minute pump adjustable to 160 psi. He's going to check the prices for me tomorrow since it's a special order.

Does anyone have any experience with the FIMCO 40 gallon TR-40-GAS?

Or does anyone have recommendations on another model that can handle the job

Thanks,
VA

/ Chemical sprayer #2  
I recently purchased a FIMCO 40 gallon trailer sprayer to pull behind my garden tractor. I have 5 acres of pasture, and I've decided to start doing my own applications of liquid lime, fertilizer, and 2-4-d.

The sprayer had a 12v electric pump that produced 2.1 gallons per minute outflow at 60 psi. What I determined after a couple of uses, was that it was underpowered for what I was asking it to do. It would clog with only a little sediment and lose all pressure. An hour spent taking apart the pump and cleaning it, and I'd get another 30 minutes of spray time before pressure was lost again.

I returned it today, and talked to the salesman about ordering the gas powered pump version of this sprayer. It's a 2.5 hp, 6 gallon per minute pump adjustable to 160 psi. He's going to check the prices for me tomorrow since it's a special order.

Does anyone have any experience with the FIMCO 40 gallon TR-40-GAS?

Or does anyone have recommendations on another model that can handle the job

Thanks,
VA

SCHABEN industries has a 40gal.with 2.5hp motor(model#FSTS-40-2.5-4)trailer model.
6G.P.M,25ft hose&handgun,0-120psi adj.pressure,price is $948.15 if you wont a boom kit a 2 nozzle(80in.coverage area)$40.95,a 5 nozzle(100in.coverage area)$122.85. Maybe that will give you another option.

/ Chemical sprayer #3  
What were you spraying though , sediment will block full sized sprayers too , some custom guys will not apply powder or granular based products .

/ Chemical sprayer
What were you spraying though , sediment will block full sized sprayers too , some custom guys will not apply powder or granular based products .

Liquid Lime concentrate from AGGRAND. It's a little gritty, but I dilute it one gallon to 40 gallons water. I would hope a pump could handle that????

/ Chemical sprayer #5  
Liquid Lime concentrate from AGGRAND. It's a little gritty, but I dilute it one gallon to 40 gallons water. I would hope a pump could handle that????

I'd bet its not the pump ... the "little gritty" is plugging the strainer or the sprayer nozzles's ...I have a fimco with a 12 volt pump as well as a 3 point with a pto pump and with a boomless nozzle ... if your product is mixed right ... no problems. Yours does have the pre strainer?

/ Chemical sprayer #6  
I'd bet its not the pump ... the "little gritty" is plugging the strainer or the sprayer nozzles's ...I have a fimco with a 12 volt pump as well as a 3 point with a pto pump and with a boomless nozzle ... if your product is mixed right ... no problems. Yours does have the pre strainer?

Yes it blocks filters and nozzles not pump. I dont know any grain guys that would let you put that stuff in their sprayers !

/ Chemical sprayer #7  
Two observations from a commercial applicator.

Fimco is a hobby machine and you got great advice on Scaben Industries. There is no comparison.

The lime material you are using, in addition to having so little neutralizing value to be very questionable, will clog everything and will tear that little electric pump to pieces.

I run two full blown spray machines with outstanding recirculation and I would expect that stuff to settle in the tank, lines and screens.

According to the label, it takes 7200 pounds of that stuff equals 2000 pounds of ag lime in neutralizing power. Yikes! What does it cost?

/ Chemical sprayer #8  
Two observations from a commercial applicator.

Fimco is a hobby machine and you got great advice on Scaben Industries. There is no comparison.

The lime material you are using, in addition to having so little neutralizing value to be very questionable, will clog everything and will tear that little electric pump to pieces.

I run two full blown spray machines with outstanding recirculation and I would expect that stuff to settle in the tank, lines and screens.

According to the label, it takes 7200 pounds of that stuff equals 2000 pounds of ag lime in neutralizing power. Yikes! What does it cost?
I use a 300gal.Continental Belton(only had it a year but no issues to date),I just looked and AgMeier has a 55gal.trailer with 3.5hp(TC-60)
AgGrand liquid lime wholesale price is $5.70/32oz,$44.65/2.5gal,$737.00/55gal.
MONTY'S Liquid Carbon may be something that your current sprayer may work well with to help optimize your soil condition,and they have an all-purpose growth 8-16-8

Last edited:
   / Chemical sprayer #9  
32 ounces/1000 sq feet every 3-4 weeks

$5.70 times 43....almost $250/ac per application

Someday I'll come up with something like this

/ Chemical sprayer #10  
I own a 25 gallon gas powered Fimco trailer sprayer, with the same pump.

In order to spray 5 acres with 2-4-D, it is probably going to take 4-6 hours, And it's going to take more than one tank of gasoline for the pump.

If you want to do it faster, you need to spend a lot more money.

I use Trimec, rather than 2-4-D. It is much more effective, especially on clover.

I do not use liquid for lime or fertilizer, it's much easier, and also cheaper, to use dry.

Yes, the 12 volt sprayers are pretty much a joke. Unless you have a small area, or you just want to spot spray, avoid them. They are woefully inadequate for spraying acreage.