What to do With All this Wood?

/ What to do With All this Wood? #11  
My goal is to build a house, and the wood for now is just a byproduct. In order to remove the stumps I need to leave a higher stump to give the dozer leverage.

If you plan on burning wood for heat, I would save some of the low-quality logs. Red oak in logs, kept off the ground, will last a long time if stacked where it gets air and sun. It gets harder to cut with a chainsaw as it dries out, more chain sharpening is the downside.

/ What to do With All this Wood? #12  
Cartod: Not sure what length you cut those, but dang all I see is lumber for a building, if you didn't mess up the lengths? I payed less then 4k for a sawmill, used only my wood and built a 2 story house big garage and countless other stuff. The tops all went into heating the new buildings, nothing wasted. At the very least you should try to find someone willing to take the worth while stuff.

/ What to do With All this Wood? #13  
We have a similar problem. But in our part of the country there are lots of people who have to get through the winter with wood heat alone; they can't afford standard utility prices. So, we give ours to a local church group who then distribute it to those less fortunate than we are. OK, we get a small tax deduction, but that's not the point. If you can't use the wood and don't need income from it, pay it forward.

/ What to do With All this Wood? #14  
I dont know current prices, or even prices in your area, but you definatally need a mill to come see what you got and make you an offer. Cherry and Red oak pay top dollar.

The way "logging" is typically done around me is a logging company will log your timber, skid it to the edge of the road, and then call the 3-4 area mills to look and place a bid. Highest bidder gets to come pick it up. And then the loggers get 20-30%

You are basically the logger here. And getting to keep the full 100% for cutting and skidding. Now just call some mills and take some bids.

/ What to do With All this Wood? #15  
If you sell to a logger make sure you or someone you trust is counting the loads of logs being removed from your property. I wouldn't trust a logger. Make sure a logger cleans the tops out also.

/ What to do With All this Wood? #17  
If you are building a house, why not use the timber for true American floorboards and surface-finishes and even furniture?

/ What to do With All this Wood? #18  
DEFINITELY talk to your local West Virginia farm forester or district forester and get a list of LICENSED timber buyers. That is beautiful stuff! OMG what someone could do with a home sawmill and drying shed! Get quotes from several different buyers.
OR get a list of small sawmills, and have them cut it for you. There are articles on how to properly season lumber.

SC

/ What to do With All this Wood? #19  
I cut down 1 tree on my N. Georgia land in Sept
I also cut 1 tree Monday the 19th. I had scheduled a man with a bandsaw mill to turn it into lumber.
He arrived Tuesday and again on Wednesday. The pictures are of the work.That is the log arch that I build after looking at all the examples here on TBN. and the stack of lumber is about 800 board feet - cost $280US

Attachments

• 1 first log moved.jpg
    1 first log moved.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 162
  • 2 arch.jpg
    2 arch.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 159
  • log on mill.jpg
    log on mill.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 172
  • lumber stack.jpg
    lumber stack.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 193
   / What to do With All this Wood? #20  
I cut down 1 tree on my N. Georgia land in Sept
I also cut 1 tree Monday the 19th. I had scheduled a man with a bandsaw mill to turn it into lumber.
He arrived Tuesday and again on Wednesday. The pictures are of the work.That is the log arch that I build after looking at all the examples here on TBN. and the stack of lumber is about 800 board feet - cost $280US

A problem I have encountered air drying lumber like this (stacked with "stickers") is that it can leave marks on the wood everywhere the "stickers" make contact...to avoid this I dry them vertically in an 'A' shape against an elevated beam