What to do With All this Wood?

/ What to do With All this Wood? #21  
A problem I have encountered air drying lumber like this (stacked with "stickers") is that it can leave marks on the wood everywhere the "stickers" make contact...to avoid this I dry them vertically in an 'A' shape against an elevated beam

Just out of curiosity, I have a few logs at a mill right now and have never done this before. I planned on putting stickers just like the picture shows. If I planned on planing it 1/8" off each side, will the sticker marks show?

/ What to do With All this Wood? #22  
To avoid sticker stain, use really dry hardwood stickers rather than green stickers right off the mill. If you don't have a choice, it helps to move the stickers but this usually requires restacking.

/ What to do With All this Wood? #23  
Another thing is oak and other hardwoods seem to want to split back to where the sticker is. So the closer to the end the better.

/ What to do With All this Wood? #24  
Just out of curiosity, I have a few logs at a mill right now and have never done this before. I planned on putting stickers just like the picture shows. If I planned on planing it 1/8" off each side, will the sticker marks show?
If you're planing it you should not have any issues...unless it is a softer wood like Poplar etc. and precipitation can cause stains to permeate deeper...

/ What to do With All this Wood? #25  
I cut down 1 tree on my N. Georgia land in Sept
I also cut 1 tree Monday the 19th. I had scheduled a man with a bandsaw mill to turn it into lumber.
He arrived Tuesday and again on Wednesday. The pictures are of the work.That is the log arch that I build after looking at all the examples here on TBN. and the stack of lumber is about 800 board feet - cost $280US

Rambo;

THAT is a beautiful stack of oak wood. Heck, you cannot even find REAL oak furniture any more except in an antique store. The stuff now is press-board with veneer. It is amazing that this stuff does not bring top $$$ when you pay an arm and a leg for it at Home Depot in Naples, FL

SC

/ What to do With All this Wood? #26  
The wood in the stack in my previous post is white and red oak. The stickers are white firring strips from the big orange box store. The lumber is 1" and 2" thick, 8'6" and longer in length.
So if the checking occurs to the stickers I can cut it off and still have 8 foot lumber.

Last edited: