Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED #61  
You will love that Hustler... great choice and good price too...

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED
Well, what a day! Woke up to 4" of snow, had to hurry up and plow. Wife & kids wanted to go along for the ride, so had to get them all packed up. Snow and freezing rain until I hit the Mich/Ohio line, saw 6 cars in the ditch along the way, as well as 4 traffic-slowing accidents.

Finally got to the dealership and there she was, all pretty and ready to jump up on my trailer. :D. Loaded her up and started tying her down, and then realized I only had 2 of my 4 HD ratchet straps with me. I had some light duty ones too, which held tight for the quick drive to a nearby store for more HD straps.

Had lunch at Cracker Barrel, always a good time. Stopped for too many bathroom breaks (gotta live traveling with kids).

Got almost home, stopped for gas again, had to go to the third gas station because the first two didn't have functioning credit card readers. Which of course you don't realize until after you park and undo the gas cap.

So, roughly 9 hours of driving, but she's home. She's a little dirty from the drive, but I'll get her all polished before the cutting season starts. There's a couple paint rubs and blemishes that I'll touch up too.

But, she's home and parked in the barn. The engine really purrs, and the seat is really comfy. Very happy so far, although I've only put about 5 minutes in her!

Thanks again for the replies and input.

A few pics, including the old Ford she's replacing. Just getting it cleaned up and checked over so I can put it up for sale.

ForumRunner_20130316_233752.png

ForumRunner_20130316_233810.png

ForumRunner_20130316_233822.png

ForumRunner_20130316_233836.png

ForumRunner_20130316_233850.png

Sent from my Motorola Smartphone w/ TractorByNet for Android

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED #63  
The machines that I worked with in 2007 (2006 60" Huskvarna commercial zero turns with ~27HP Aircooled Kawasaki engines comparing to 2004-2005 eXmark Lazer-Z machines with 26-27HP Watercooled Kasasaki engines) had four main issues:
1. Slow ground speed, the eXmarks were significantly faster which is a fairly big deal when mowing large areas

2. Poor belt setup, the eXmarks have a "mule belt" that runs to a jackshaft on the deck, then a dedicated belt that goes from the jackshaft to the three spindles. The Husky had one belt that did all of that. The downside is that when you push the machine too hard, on the eXmark, you might smoke the $30 mule belt a once or twice per season (depending on the driver), but we would get several seasons out of the $70 deck belt. On the Husky, if the driver wasn't paying attention, they would smoke the $90 belt that drives the whole deck as happened 3-4 times per season

3. On the Husky, the top of the deck was shaped sort of like this: |---==---| and there was a flat coverplate over the lowered center section (the "==" in the diagram, which is where the belt ran). The belt path area was open in the middle of back, so you would get grass coming in there and migrating pack into the whole belt path. We almost had a fire at the beginning of the season due to that. We ended up running without the top plates most of the time so that we could blow the belt path out several times per day.

4. Not as well "balanced" when driving, the eXmarks were easier to keep going in a straight line as the damper shocks on their sticks were far more effective despite being older machines with more hours

Aaron Z

Thanks for the info, can't beat cold hard facts.

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED #64  
Well, what a day! Woke up to 4" of snow, had to hurry up and plow. Wife & kids wanted to go along for the ride, so had to get them all packed up. Snow and freezing rain until I hit the Mich/Ohio line, saw 6 cars in the ditch along the way, as well as 4 traffic-slowing accidents.

Finally got to the dealership and there she was, all pretty and ready to jump up on my trailer. :D. Loaded her up and started tying her down, and then realized I only had 2 of my 4 HD ratchet straps with me. I had some light duty ones too, which held tight for the quick drive to a nearby store for more HD straps.

Had lunch at Cracker Barrel, always a good time. Stopped for too many bathroom breaks (gotta live traveling with kids).

Got almost home, stopped for gas again, had to go to the third gas station because the first two didn't have functioning credit card readers. Which of course you don't realize until after you park and undo the gas cap.

So, roughly 9 hours of driving, but she's home. She's a little dirty from the drive, but I'll get her all polished before the cutting season starts. There's a couple paint rubs and blemishes that I'll touch up too.

But, she's home and parked in the barn. The engine really purrs, and the seat is really comfy. Very happy so far, although I've only put about 5 minutes in her!

Thanks again for the replies and input.

A few pics, including the old Ford she's replacing. Just getting it cleaned up and checked over so I can put it up for sale.

View attachment 308582

View attachment 308583

View attachment 308584

View attachment 308585

View attachment 308586

NICE:thumbsup:

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED #65  
I don't think you can go wrong with that rig.

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED #66  
Nice rig. What's that puppy weigh?
Curious why you'd tow it at the back of your landscape trailer, instead of up front to get some tongue weight?

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED #67  
TSO, thats a great deal IMO on that Hustler. I did demo one of those, though I thought it was a little under powered, it could have just been the one I ran. Friend of mine runs one of those in his lawn care business and loves it.

Next time you plan a long drive like that, take the rear gate off and use ramps. You lose at least 4mpg+ with that gate catching air. Short runs around home gates are fine, but long trips like that just cost you a bunch more $ in gas..

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED #68  
IMHO, you got a new mower at a used price...
172 hours is nothing for that unit...
You made a great choice...
My father-in-law was a superintendent at the National Cemetery in Chattanooga Tennessee for many years...
The only mower they ever used was Hustler...
He swore by them...
I know that is comparing apples to oranges but I still remember him talking about how good they were...
Get us some action pics...
You did real good...
Congratulations...

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED
Thanks guys. I think she weighs around 1700. Definitely not a lightweight!

She was centered over the trailer wheels, actually a little bit forward of them - that's a 16' trailer.

Good point about the gate, didn't even think about that. I need to weld up some heavy duty ramps anyhow for my tractor (it weighs around 5000#) so that's in the plans. Hadn't even thought about MPG's tho.

I hope it's not underpowered - that Ford in the pic uses a 27 horse 3cyl Shibaura.. This Hustler has a 25 horse Shibaura. I'm assuming 3 cyl, but not sure. That Ford weighs around 2200#+ and is hydrostatic, I never felt it was underpowered . My property is mostly level, so not many hills to contend with. If it is underpowered, I'll post about it... I'll give it a fair review once I actually use it.

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED #70  
You will really appreciate the suspension seat. I have it on mine, and when I rode a friend's without it I couldn't believe the difference. I've never used a machine with the flex forks, but my dealer said their efficiency goes down if the operator is over 230 lbs (which I am), so I never got them on mine. Seems they can flex a bit too much with the heavy weight and potentially cause a little scalping.