Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED
You will really appreciate the suspension seat. I have it on mine, and when I rode a friend's without it I couldn't believe the difference. I've never used a machine with the flex forks, but my dealer said their efficiency goes down if the operator is over 230 lbs (which I am), so I never got them on mine. Seems they can flex a bit too much with the heavy weight and potentially cause a little scalping.
That would make sense... I'm usually between 185-200lbs, so it should be fine for me. Obviously I haven't cut with it yet, but just driving it around on my driveway (gravel) it's quite smooth. Taking it over bumpy spots don't seem bad at all.

Sent from my Motorola Smartphone w/ TractorByNet for Android

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED #72  
Congratulations on your new machine - thats an impressive looking zero turn and like others have said - nearly new. The shot from the back side shows how massive it is.

Once you get some running time I'd be curious what the noise level is on that machine? It would appear with the shrouding it will be quieter? I know on the Ferris it's 40% engine and 60% deck/blades - I wear earplugs or muffs when running.

Now its waiting time for the snow to melt before you can give it a good workout.

Carl

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED #73  
Good point about the gate, didn't even think about that. I need to weld up some heavy duty ramps anyhow for my tractor (it weighs around 5000#) so that's in the plans. Hadn't even thought about MPG's tho.

I have what appears to be basically the exact same trailer as you, and I have two cents to give you about hauling a tractor on it. If your trailer is like mine, it's a 16', tandem axle, utility trailer with 7000 lb GVWR. The cross-members on the frame are perhaps 2x3" angle iron, at something like 3' spacing. When I got my tractor, I thought, "7000 lbs GVWR - 1600 lbs trailer weight - 4000 lbs tractor weight = I'm 1400 lbs under, I'm good!" Not so. First of all, as you have suggested, the gate will not load the tractor without being damaged. It did it a few times, but I could see that it was going to give out. I eventually put some jack stands under the middle of it to give it some extra support, but even that was dicey. The real problem, however, is that a utility trailer rated for 7000 lbs is just not made to carry all 7000 lbs concentrated on as small an area as a vehicle creates. If you think about it, worst case scenario is that your tractor's axles are right over two cross-members, which means that each little piece of angle iron is carrying half the tractor's weight. If you look at car-haulers vs. utility trailers in a similar size and GVWR, you'll see that the car-haulers have different construction that is designed to handle the high point-load that a vehicle's tires make; utility trailers are not.

Bottom line: I wouldn't tow a tractor on a utility trailer.

Congratulations on your new machine - thats an impressive looking zero turn and like others have said - nearly new. The shot from the back side shows how massive it is.

Once you get some running time I'd be curious what the noise level is on that machine? It would appear with the shrouding it will be quieter? I know on the Ferris it's 40% engine and 60% deck/blades - I wear earplugs or muffs when running.

Now its waiting time for the snow to melt before you can give it a good workout.

Carl

My 4 year old wanted to go for a ride... So we're going slow and at lower RPM's (for noise). I would say it's about as loud as a gasser, just different pitch.

It is big tho, which should help smooth out the ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJxiBU9Mico&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I have what appears to be basically the exact same trailer as you, and I have two cents to give you about hauling a tractor on it. If your trailer is like mine, it's a 16', tandem axle, utility trailer with 7000 lb GVWR. The cross-members on the frame are perhaps 2x3" angle iron, at something like 3' spacing. When I got my tractor, I thought, "7000 lbs GVWR - 1600 lbs trailer weight - 4000 lbs tractor weight = I'm 1400 lbs under, I'm good!" Not so. First of all, as you have suggested, the gate will not load the tractor without being damaged. It did it a few times, but I could see that it was going to give out. I eventually put some jack stands under the middle of it to give it some extra support, but even that was dicey. The real problem, however, is that a utility trailer rated for 7000 lbs is just not made to carry all 7000 lbs concentrated on as small an area as a vehicle creates. If you think about it, worst case scenario is that your tractor's axles are right over two cross-members, which means that each little piece of angle iron is carrying half the tractor's weight. If you look at car-haulers vs. utility trailers in a similar size and GVWR, you'll see that the car-haulers have different construction that is designed to handle the high point-load that a vehicle's tires make; utility trailers are not.

Bottom line: I wouldn't tow a tractor on a utility trailer.

I completely agree with you, when I bought that trailer I did not expect to have a tractor as big as I do, and now I wish I had bought a car hauler instead of utility trailer.

I will only put the tractor on it when absolutely necessary. I am planning to weld a few bracket supports underneath the frame to help out during those few occasions.

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED #76  
   / Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED #77  
That would make sense... I'm usually between 185-200lbs, so it should be fine for me. Obviously I haven't cut with it yet, but just driving it around on my driveway (gravel) it's quite smooth. Taking it over bumpy spots don't seem bad at all.

TSO,
Everyone's spot on....U did good!!!!! I don't know about the flex forks, but I weigh about the same as you, have the same suspension seat on my Gravely and you're gonna really like the ride. If you take care off that Hustler it'll most likely outlive you:0)

So.. I had started touching up a few spots in the paint on the deck and frame with the dealer paint and it was really thin, didn't like using it at all. I had read that people claim that the tractor store brand "cat yellow" is a real close match, so i bought that and started applying it, much better & thicker consistency.

However, once it dried, it wasn't really close enough to match. The next logical step of course was to remove pieces and repaint it all! So, that's what i did. I also painted the flex forks, which were black, because i thought it looked better in yellow.

I still need to do the ROPS, and the engine cover (it's resin, so i want to wait until it's warmer).

But she turned out pretty good, and I'm a fan if Caterpillar yellow anyhow!

ForumRunner_20130325_163959.png

ForumRunner_20130325_164014.png

ForumRunner_20130325_164040.png

Duplicate post

/ Shopping for a new Zero Turn --- this is what I've found so far, INPUT NEEDED #80  
Looking real good - nice job on the painting too - the forks look better yellow too.

Thats a big machine - looks to be 7' length or more?