How to get rid of Crab Grass and Nut Grass? It's taking over my Lawn.

/ How to get rid of Crab Grass and Nut Grass? It's taking over my Lawn. #21  
Id Like to use a pellet type stuff that I just spread over the whole lawn.

Well, if you have acres of lawn a spot spray would be more efficient and only treat the areas that need to be treated.

/ How to get rid of Crab Grass and Nut Grass? It's taking over my Lawn.
I guess, I just don't want to miss any spots, Spot spray may be good for the nut grass, but I think Crab maybe better to do whole thing.

/ How to get rid of Crab Grass and Nut Grass? It's taking over my Lawn. #23  
I used Ortho Weed B Gone Max which has crabgrass killer in it. It works about as good as the cyanide based stuff I had. Finding old discontinued stuff is not likely and the newer stuff seems to work ok for me.

/ How to get rid of Crab Grass and Nut Grass? It's taking over my Lawn. #24  
hit enter twice sorry about that.
Mark

/ How to get rid of Crab Grass and Nut Grass? It's taking over my Lawn. #25  
Tractors are not my hobby yet but keeping a great lawn has been for the past several years. There are a few things you have to understand here. With Nutsedge there are tubers and nutlings under ground that you don't see and at this time of the year the sedge is a bear to get rid of. If you spray now you will knock down the existing sedge but it will come back next year and the year after and so on. It may take several years to get a handle on the sedge. Proper timing early early in the summer is the best time to get rid of the sedge because the tubers are small and easier to kill. You could try your local Lesco/John Deere dealer for Sedgehammer or some other product designed for the sedges. You need to check if there is a granular form or just liquid from Ortho.
As far as crabgrass again timing is everything. Applying a good granular pre-emergent when the Forsythia first bloom in the spring is the time to apply the preem. Products called Dimension come in either liquid or granular forms and can be spread over a wide area quickly. Dimension is only one pre-emergent. If you want to take care of it now the Ortho Weed be Gon Max with crabgrass killer works well along with other brands as long a you don't apply when temps are above 90 degrees. Really any product with Quincloric will kill the crabgrass and not the good grass. But make sure you check this out for your particular type of grass.

/ How to get rid of Crab Grass and Nut Grass? It's taking over my Lawn. #26  
Great info. Is there a trade name for a Quincloric liquid product that I can spot spray with?

Tractors are not my hobby yet but keeping a great lawn has been for the past several years. There are a few things you have to understand here. With Nutsedge there are tubers and nutlings under ground that you don't see and at this time of the year the sedge is a bear to get rid of. If you spray now you will knock down the existing sedge but it will come back next year and the year after and so on. It may take several years to get a handle on the sedge. Proper timing early early in the summer is the best time to get rid of the sedge because the tubers are small and easier to kill. You could try your local Lesco/John Deere dealer for Sedgehammer or some other product designed for the sedges. You need to check if there is a granular form or just liquid from Ortho.
As far as crabgrass again timing is everything. Applying a good granular pre-emergent when the Forsythia first bloom in the spring is the time to apply the preem. Products called Dimension come in either liquid or granular forms and can be spread over a wide area quickly. Dimension is only one pre-emergent. If you want to take care of it now the Ortho Weed be Gon Max with crabgrass killer works well along with other brands as long a you don't apply when temps are above 90 degrees. Really any product with Quincloric will kill the crabgrass and not the good grass. But make sure you check this out for your particular type of grass.

/ How to get rid of Crab Grass and Nut Grass? It's taking over my Lawn. #27  
Sedgehammer (formerly called Manage) is about the best product for nutsedge, as it will kill the plant and some of the nutlings. But it can take a decade or more to fully control nutsedge. The nutlings can remain dormant in ground for up to 15 years, and will sprout whenever there is enough moisture. Nutsedge loves wet conditions. In this area, it's a bear in irrigated yards, often shading out the fescue people are trying to irrigate. It grows at 4-8X the rate of fescue.

/ How to get rid of Crab Grass and Nut Grass? It's taking over my Lawn. #28  
Ortho Weed be Gon Max with crabgrass killer works well along with other brands as long a you don't apply when temps are above 90 degrees. Really any product with Quinclorac will kill the crabgrass and not the good grass.

I keep finding this site when searching for products by ingredient.

SedgeHammer, Sedgehammer Herbicide | Do My Own Pest Control

Post Emergent Crabgrass Control & Killer Herbicide | Do My Own Pest Control

Gotta try 'em out, but I've been amazed to find the broadening array of goodies seen at TSC and similar stores. Found a wetting agent cheap by the gallon recently at FF&H called Drexel 'Haf-Pynt'. Remember that herbicides work best 'when weeds are growing', as say withing 48hrs of a good soaking rain if not particular to time of a weed's growing season.

Sony1998, .. :welcome:

/ How to get rid of Crab Grass and Nut Grass? It's taking over my Lawn. #29  
Thanks, guys.

/ How to get rid of Crab Grass and Nut Grass? It's taking over my Lawn. #30  
Thanks for the warm welcome. If you want straight Quincloric just for the crabgrass Drive XL on ebay can be found. But I find the Ortho Weed be gon Max with crabgrass kill also does a fine job. While it is a tri mix of AI WBG max will also kill other weeds as well.
For the nut grass the product I thought of contains the Active Ingredient sulfentrazone. That is what to look for when shopping. Solitare contains both sulfentrazone and quincloric. Might be worth looking for in your case to attack both weeds. Sulfentrazone for the nutgrass and quincloric for the crabgrass.
Just remember that timing is everything. Pre-emergent when the forsythia come out and get the nutgrass late spring early summer for your second app.
Mark