How to get rid of Crab Grass and Nut Grass? It's taking over my Lawn.

/ How to get rid of Crab Grass and Nut Grass? It's taking over my Lawn.
The nut grass is what really gets me. It grows so much quicker.

/ How to get rid of Crab Grass and Nut Grass? It's taking over my Lawn. #12  
Ortho puts out a product called "Nutsedge Killer" that I just found and applied to the nutgrass in my lawn. It's apparently working as it has yellowed it badly. It took about a week to show outward signs of dying. The only way I found it available was in a ready to spray concentrate that you hook up to your garden hose. The grass around the nutsedge is just fine.

As far as the crabgrass goes, wait until Spring and apply a good pre-emergent crabgrass preventer. I overseeded a 2 acre lawn (field) early this Spring, and because I have been killing the broadleaf weeds after the grass was up, the crabgrass has taken over the many thin spots. I'm hoping that the bluegrass, fescue, perennial rye grass seed that came up wery well will not be smothered out by the crabgrass this Summer. I did try a liquid crabgrass killer in my tow behind sprayer when I first saw the crabgrass coming up at the 2-3 leaf stage. It apparently had little to no effect. I'll put down a pre-emergent containing "Dimension" next Spring. I'll fertilize late this Fall, and if I can get the new grass to grow thick enough this Fall and control the crabgrass next year, crabgrass should be much less of a problem in the future.

Crabgrass dies each year after a hard frost and comes back fresh from seed after it warms up in the Spring. The pre-emergent crabgrass controls are pretty effective and "Dimension" is supposed to prevent germination of many broadleaf seeds too. Lawns can be a pain, but lawn grass is much more pleasant to mow than a dusty and weedy or sopping wet crabgrass infested lawn. On that last statement I mean that the lawn itself is dry, but the crabgrass is so thick and full of moisture this year that as it is cut it wets the tires and everything it touches. Messy!

The Nutsedge I can apply now?

/ How to get rid of Crab Grass and Nut Grass? It's taking over my Lawn. #14  
The Nutsedge I can apply now?

Yep! I just found the Nutsedge Killer last week, so you got an up to the minute report.

/ How to get rid of Crab Grass and Nut Grass? It's taking over my Lawn. #15  
OH, OH! I just looked it up and it is not available in NY. My local Home Depot carries it, so maybe a nearby state, if you are close enough, will have it.

Why isn't it in NY I wonder?

/ How to get rid of Crab Grass and Nut Grass? It's taking over my Lawn. #17  
I was not aware that MSMA had been pulled from the market. But I still have a nearly full bottle of Image brand MSMA and it's the best stuff I've found for crab grass and related grassy weeds.

/ How to get rid of Crab Grass and Nut Grass? It's taking over my Lawn. #18  
MSMA is not off the market yet, its just no longer manufactured. Any distributer that has it can still sell it, just cant get anymore to restock the shelves. NY is like Cali in that many chemicals are not labeled for use in these states for environmental reasons.

/ How to get rid of Crab Grass and Nut Grass? It's taking over my Lawn. #19  
MSMA is news to me and I never even heard of it. But I have crabgrass that needs to go. Where would I likely still find this MSMA and is there a trade name or do I just look for "MSMA"?

Also, I found this website that lists substitutes for MSMA and I wonder if anyone has tried any of them as to their effectiveness? Here's the link and any info is helpful.

MSMA Herbicide Replacement Options | FMC Turf Wire

Id Like to use a pellet type stuff that I just spread over the whole lawn.