Zero turn prices and advice

/ Zero turn prices and advice #11  
I just read your story about wanting to go back to a tractor from the Gravely 260Z. That mower down in Jackson MS is selling for $8200 on sale. You really got a good buy in Wis.

I have a Cub Cadet 7272 two wheel drive with 240 hrs on it and have been looking at going to a zero for three acres. My wife does the tractor work, so I guess I know now why she likes it. Thanks

/ Zero turn prices and advice #12  
do u have a snow blade for the 111 tractor and did u get rid of the tractor?

/ Zero turn prices and advice #13  
I have owned a 721 Grasshopper for about 8 years. Don't see how I could ask anymore from a mower. It just works year after year. I mow about 6 acres. I kinda check around when I get a chance and the other day looked at a Bush Hog M2000 (I think) anyway was very impressed, really built heavy. Only issue, Would like a diesel. Anybody have any experience with a Bush Hog? Seems like they should have called it "Grass Hog"

/ Zero turn prices and advice #14  
Our local school corp. went to the Grasshopper diesel ZTR's several years ago. We have some schools that are on steep hills. Watching them run up and down those hills with no fear sold me on buying one. Especially when I stopped one guy and asked how many hours he had on the one he was thrashing about with. He said "just a little over 4000 hours". The way he was using it, I wouldn't figure it would last 400 hours. They all run the diesel engines.
I don't know if Dixon changed, but the guy said that the school corp tried the Dixon "blue things" one year because they were cheap. He said that they were the worst junk they'd ever had. He said something about them not having but one "pseudo" hydro drive and it ran some sort of chain drives!? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I've never driven a Dixon, and I've never seen them advertised around here, but this guy ranted on and on about how bad they were. Being that I've never seen one at a golf course or on a trailer behind some independent guy with a mowing service, I suppose they must be a "residential" mower.

/ Zero turn prices and advice #15  
Dixon does make a less expensive homeowner model.
If you get into their better line; ie: the Ram series, they are pretty well made for the $.
I got a Ram 44 in late summer and it's been great so far.
These machines are altogether different from the little "blue ' Dixons with the plastic body.
I chose the Ram after looking at a bunch of mowers, so far so good.
Time will tell...
GrayBeard

/ Zero turn prices and advice #16  
graybeard, that's good to hear. I shouldn't have "knocked" them since I admittedly have never even seen one myself. I was just going by what the local school corporation employee told me about their blue plastic models that he couldn't cuss enough. I assumed that Dixon had to have different models or that they would be out of business by now from what he said. Good luck with yours. It sounds like it isn't one of the blue plastic models he loved so much. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Zero turn prices and advice #17  
Dargo,
I didn't take it as a "knock"; just good info.
The "little" Dixons wouldn't take the kind of use you spoke of without some problems.
IMHO, the Ram series is probably an "upper" end residential.
It appears to have a "bullet proof" deck, twin pumps, w/o chain drive and a good engine.
Some of the areas I mow are somewhat "rough" ; so far it's doing well.
Most of all, I didn't want/need to spend 6 - 10,000 dollars for a "top of the line" mower.
This seemed to "fit" for me somewhere between a "throw away" mower and the "pro" models.

Have a good day .
GrayBeard

/ Zero turn prices and advice #18  
My nieghbor has one of the little dixon ztr's. He showed me the drive system. It's a rubber friction cone drive. One for each side. I couldn't believe it wasn't hydro drive. He uses it a lot, and he has complained about the cost of drive cones. $400 each I think he said. I wouldn't buy a ztr without hydro drive.

/ Zero turn prices and advice #19  
I think if you go to Dixon's web site, you'll find the Zeeter 30 has that Dixon cone drive, but the other models, including another 30" model, I've looked at have HydroGear transmissions.

/ Zero turn prices and advice #20  
Yesterday I took possession of the Husqvarna 61" ZTR with the 27 hp Kohler engine. Not what I had been looking for at the outset, but the dealer special on the unit made it hard to pass up. I liked the KD-28, but it was more ZTR than I really need for around the house. At least it is orange.

The special was $6995, and there was an added discount for paying cash. I haven't had much time to test it out, but I like what I see so far.