Zero turn prices and advice

/ Zero turn prices and advice #21  
I would like to set the record straight about the small Dixon. There were two comments about it in this thread that are false.

First of all the cones in the transmission are NOT rubber. They are cast iron. Secondly, they don't cost $400. Every wearable part needed to completely overhaul the transmission totals about $300. That's if you just take it apart and replace EVERYTHING without inspecting parts and replacing only what is worn.

I bought one of these with a blown motor for $250 and took an engine, in good shape from an old Montgomery Wards mower that was junk except for the engine. I bought it just to see if I would like a ZTR type mower. After mowing with it for awhile, I took apart the transmission and replaced a few bearings, chains and various pieces for around $100.

The little machine is small, but EXTREMELY maneuvarable and because it has a single blade it does a BEAUTIFUL job.

You can buy one of these units brand new for $1895. That's probably the least expensive zero turn that money can buy. For a city homeowner with a small lawn to mow and standard gates to drive through, and maybe for health reasons unable to use a walk behind mower, it would be a GREAT choice.

As far as their larger mowers go, if properly applied, their ZTR mowers are as good as any. By proper application, I mean not using a residential model for heavy commercial use. If you need a mower for heavy commercial use, Dixon makes those too.

All that said, I mow over an acre and I bought a Cub Cadet Z-Force. It is not a commercial unit and has the marginal IZT drives, but I think it will serve me well for my relatively level mowing needs. The maneuvarability is mandatory if your lawn is an obstacle course as is mine.

Have a great day,
Doc

/ Zero turn prices and advice #22  
Got to agree with MBDiagMan about the little blue Dixons. The cones are cast iron and not $400 each. We still have the little Dixon, it is about worn out but still going. We have rebuilt the transmission once and it needs to be rebuilt again. The mower still has the original 13 hp Briggs, it is starting to use a little oil after all the years of use. This mower has hundreds of hours on it! For a small lot home owner, they will fill the need quite nicely at a reasonable price. We mow too much for such a small mower so we stepped up to the ZD 21 with the 60" deck. My tractor is too heavy to mow with in the spring so we have the zero turn mowers. The ZD will mow circles around the tractor in speed and maneuverability. The little Dixon could hold it's own also because it could spin around in it's own length and be half way down the cutting path before you could get the tractor turned around. It just depends on your needs and budget, but for a dedicated mower you can't beat a zero turn!

/ Zero turn prices and advice #23  
Hey Raphael,
I noticed you are in Howard Co. MD. I am a life long Ho. Co. boy. I live in Columbia and have 5 acres in Marriottsville.
Good to see another Ho. Co. guy.

/ Zero turn prices and advice #24  
<font color="blue"> I got a Ram 44 in late summer and it's been great so far.
These machines are altogether different from the little "blue ' Dixons with the plastic body.
I chose the Ram after looking at a bunch of mowers, so far so good.
Time will tell... </font>

Greybeard, I think you will be pleasantly suprised with that mower. We had a customer come in the other day and got the new Kodiak model Dixon. He had a 12 year old Dixon machine and was not interested in trading it in. He said he was going to take it to the "Lake Property" for use there. We are finding no negatives and many longterm satisfied customers in central Ky.--Ken Sweet

Sweet Farm Equipment LLC *New and Used Tractors and Equipment For Large or Small Farms*

/ Zero turn prices and advice #25  
Congrats on your Husky ZTR. I shopped around and bought a 61" ZTR this year also. It's also orange, like my Kubota tractor. I bought a SCAG Wildcat. It cut our mowning time considerably.

Moon of Ohio

/ Zero turn prices and advice #26  
I replaced the cones on my Dixon 42" mower after one shattered from being out of adjustment ( my fault ).

The engine drives the cones, the cups are moved into contact with the cones via the levers the operator moves and the cups drive chains to drive the rear wheels. Not to complicated really.

The cups that contact the cones are metal but the cones themselves are graphite or a hard material like that. The cones are about 40 dollars each.

Anyhow, not that it really matters.

We really like our Dixon, it saves us a lot of time mowing and does a great job. I would like to find another ( fixer-upper ) one so the wife and I both have one to use when we both go out to mow.

- Tim

/ Zero turn prices and advice #27  
i mow 10 ac lawn with a gravley rapid xz 60 in outfront mower 30 hp kohler comand and its great i would suggest it to anyone it cost around 10k

/ Zero turn prices and advice #28  
I have the 1999 model 3304/30" cut and it's been a very good mower and the other are right about the cones and the cups. When I rebuilt my transmission I went a far as grinding off the gears on the little secondary shafts and welding on new #40 sprockets and replacing all the sprockets from the same bearing supply house and new chains and some ball joint "Heim Joint" ends and I was as they say "Good To Go". Now for some negative. The thing is **** near a nightmare to get the controls adjusted properly. The local dealer said I had get a Shop manual off the internet. There is no Shop Manual on the internet just the worthless operator/owners manual and I searched hard. There is several styles of drives an older classic and the ZTR. I've the ZTR and have posted for adjusting advice and no responses. These machines are just not talked about on forums, your suppose to have the new "Hydrostat Drives". I like the mechanial drive if I could just get it adjusted correctly. The Deck blade Brake is the current issue as I cannot get the brake to stop the blade and this is really annoying when I'm trying to use the Lawn sweeper. The Hylift blade and bagging system was worthless and I fought that for 10 yrs. before I finally gave up and bought tow type lawn sweeper and now much happier. If Dixon supported their products better I'd be a little more positive, but, I'm not sure I'd buy Dixon now. bjr

/ Zero turn prices and advice #29  
yeah.............
its a normal price............