Why do you hate MTD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Why do you hate MTD? #1  

GerardC

Elite Member
Tractor
KIOTI CK20 GEAR.
Am I missing something? MTD products are not all that bad in my opinion. I have several different pieces of their machinery that have served me very well. General maintenance is all I've done. I just don't get it /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. Gerard

/ Why do you hate MTD? #2  
I don't want to step on any toes here. I sold MTD's for eight years and sold a lot of them. I am now in the service end of JD. I see a lot of JD's that are torn all to ****, and I see some older MTD's that are imaculate (and visa versa). I know that there are exceptions to every rule, but I still feel that any machine, reguardless of badge or color is only 95% as good as the maintenance it is given. In my experience Dynamark (Noma) and Murray are the only mowers that did not hold up well due to manufacturing processes and the use of cheap material. Even then, these two companies used engines and transaxles that would far outlast the rest of the machine with proper care. My only beef with Craftsman is the lack of parts availablity on anything over two years old (and that may be a regional thing). This whole statement is IMHO. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Why do you hate MTD? #3  
My troy-built ( MTD ) weed eaters are very nice one 2 stroke the other 4. What I hate is their garden tractors but it was actually the B & S engine I had trouble with but that went with the MTD badge.
Of course no one here new that until now /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Steven

/ Why do you hate MTD? #4  
I had a Whites riding mower that was MTD. I used that mower 14 years, until it caught on fire and burned. I had severe problems with the deck. The bearings didn't have zirks and seized at least 3 times, and I replaced them and the spindles numerous times. The deck itself cracked around the spindles making it impossible to get a good even cut, plus the belt wouldn't stay on. I spent $180 and actually replaced the whole deck. Within a couple of years, the bearings and spindles on it were ruined.

I had a craftsman riding mower for 10 years and had very little trouble. My sister-in-law now has it and I have a new craftsman, well its a couple of years old now.....

/ Why do you hate MTD? #5  
I can't pass the chance to weigh in on this topic. In the last few years, EVERYONE from MTD to John Deere has started pushing their "consumer grade" (JUNK IMHO) mowers on the public. They fill a void, but have done (again, IMHO) irreparable damage to their companies reputation(s). MTD buys Cub Cadet, who HAD the best of reputations. Then they market "throw-away" Cadets....That watered down the fine name that Cub Cadet had. MTD has done basically the same thing with "Troy-Bilt" I have a Troy-Bilt "horse" tiller that's almost 30 years old. My neighbor bought one last spring. Mine has THOUSANDS of hours on it. His has maybe 10 hours use. His leaks oil, has a couple welds starting to crack, paint peeling, and in general, is falling apart. Mine is (other than being dirty) just like new.

MTD is no different than Deere, or any other "major player". They want this "consumer grade/entry level" market, and all the dollars that go with it. I personally believe they'd be better served long term, by letting someone else have that market, and sticking with higher quality equipment. They make the "top-shelf" stuff too, but the low priced stuff is what will get the lions share of attention.

I don't HATE MTD, but I strongly disagree with their marketing stratagy, along with that of several other manufacturers.

I DON'T WANT JUNK..............

/ Why do you hate MTD? #6  
I think Ron (johndeere2210) said it best. Sure, some are better quality than others, but much depends on whether you match the machine to the job and whether the owner/operator uses and maintains the machine properly. I remember about 5 years ago when one of the largest Deere dealers I know of had two mechanics who worked on nothing but the riding mowers, and even with two mechanics they were over 2 weeks behind with the backlog of broken John Deeres. Would that mean that the John Deere riding mowers are poor quality? Not in my book.

/ Why do you hate MTD? #7  
My one serious complaint against MTD is what they now sell under the Bolens name. I realize they aquired the rights to the name when they took over GardenWay, but Bolens tractors used to be top quality heavy duty machines. Now they are close to the bottom of MTD's quality. Totally destroyed a good reputation built over decades. At least with the throw away Cubs, there is the choice of better models that still somewhat reflet the quality of the old Cubs.

/ Why do you hate MTD? #8  
I had a 22hp Koyler, 54in cut yard man. Bought it new in '99. It was ok. I had a Ford 8N for most of the mowing. The YM was for an acre or so around the house. I had to replace it before the '04 season. It was costing too much time and money every week. I replaced it with a '83 JD 318 that had 880 hrs. All I can say is the difference is night and day. The YM would twist/flex going thru ditch, the deck would not follow the ground and worst of all it wouldn't cut the weeds in my 'lawn'. The JD fixed all those issues.

/ Why do you hate MTD? #9  
I've read, and been told, many times that MTD is " Made To Disappoint. Therefore, I have never had any experience with them. I don't believe everything that is in print or that is told to me, but the opinion on MTD seemed to be pretty well unanimous. Maybe somebody can give you specifics. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Why do you hate MTD? #10  
Totally destroyed a good reputation built over decades.

I totally believe that is what GM did for the diesel auto's in this country, they put out junk with the V8 diesel and I think that is part of the reason that diesel cars and light trucks are not as plentiful in this country.

Status
Not open for further replies.