20hp single kohler, or 23 hp twin to mow 3/4 acre.

/ 20hp single kohler, or 23 hp twin to mow 3/4 acre. #1  

edrock

hi, looking to buy a cub, i can get the 23 hp twin for $100 more. or is that overkill to mow 3/4 of an acre. i will be using it to pull a dump cart and roller. or is the 20hp courage just good enough for the application.

/ 20hp single kohler, or 23 hp twin to mow 3/4 acre. #2  
I believe the 2 cylinder engine would be a better engine and would probably outlast the single cylinder. Then, I would consider installing an oil cooler on it. It is said to lower the oil temp by as much as 40 degrees.

/ 20hp single kohler, or 23 hp twin to mow 3/4 acre.
wouldn't that void the warranty? why would you do that?

/ 20hp single kohler, or 23 hp twin to mow 3/4 acre. #4  
Adding the oil cooler doesn't void the warranty according to the Kohler representative I spoke with. Actually, they sell them to those individuals who would like to buy one.

As for the reason why add an oil cooler?

Well, Kohler puts them on their Command engines and
because they say it lowers the oil temperature by as much
as 40 degrees.

Why would I want a cooler running engine? Because it is not uncommon for the ambient temperature where I live to reach 100 degrees during the summer.

/ 20hp single kohler, or 23 hp twin to mow 3/4 acre. #5  
twins are smoooooooooth.

/ 20hp single kohler, or 23 hp twin to mow 3/4 acre. #6  
The twin is going to be more durable also. You won't be overworking it on 3/4 acre. It probably already has an oil cooler on it and full pressure lubrication for the engine with a replaceable oil filter.

/ 20hp single kohler, or 23 hp twin to mow 3/4 acre. #7  
In 2003 I purchased a Sears DGT6000 and it came with a 27 hp Kohler Pro, but it didn't have an oil cooler.

I contacted Kohler and asked about the difference between the Kohler Pro, the Kohler Command, and the Command Pro.

I was told that the Pro was a Command, but without the oil cooler. Sears didn't want to spend the extra money for the coolers and that is why the engines weren't labeled Command Pro.

So, I ordered and installed an oil cooler and now I have a Command Pro. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ 20hp single kohler, or 23 hp twin to mow 3/4 acre. #8  
I have a similar amount to mow -about 1.5 "yard" acres with trees and some mild slopes. The rest I can mow with my Kubota 3410. I have been mowing this with an electric mower - as has my wife. It is time for a lawn tractor and am also looking at the Kohler or a twin B&S. I actually like some of the features on the tractor with the Craftsman with the B&S. The B&S Intek engine specs state that it has full pressurized oil system, and a large automotive type oil filter. It is a 24 HP engine to go with a 42" deck. My question, would this also need an oil cooler or can I even get one for it? Any thoughts on this enine. I plan to order the unit this week unless I learn somethng here to dissuade me. Thanks.

/ 20hp single kohler, or 23 hp twin to mow 3/4 acre. #9  
What model Kohler is an option?

/ 20hp single kohler, or 23 hp twin to mow 3/4 acre. #10  
Craftsman model 27662 - a 21 hp model with 42" deck.