SHAFT GARDEN TRACTORS, short list

/ SHAFT GARDEN TRACTORS, short list #61  
Welllll...

JD: 318 400 420 425 430 X475 X485 X495 X575 X585 X595 and the new X7xx
Simplicity: Legacy XL (not sure about prior Legacy model)

/ SHAFT GARDEN TRACTORS, short list #62  
orgt said:
BX capabilities are really tempting but the main problem for us is that we may move 2000 miles away in a few years. Preliminary studies of moving costs show astronomical numbers. The only half-reasonable option I found is one of these companies that drop a big trailer in your yard, give you a week to load it, bring the tractor back to hook it up, drive to the destination and give you another few days there to unload. To be honest I haven't called them yet but while I think a BX would fit inside the trailor width-wise, it would still take an awful amount of room, not to mention the WEIGHT, probably over 3,000 pounds for the tractor and a few attachments. In contrast a garden tractor wouldn't be an issue at all.

I know for a fact moving companies will haul tractors as part of the load. I know of a Ford 8N that went from here in MN down to New Mexico in a moving truck. This was WITH a loader. I couldn't tell you if it cost more or anything, but I saw the tractor in the truck, with stuff packed all around it.

/ SHAFT GARDEN TRACTORS, short list #63  
orgt said:
This list is starting to look pretty solid, I am surprised though that JD would have only two shaft models.

A lot of the Deere lawn and garden tractors are shaft drive, but only the 4XX, X4XX, X5XX, X7XX tractors also have shaft driven decks. That was part of the criteria listed in the original post. If belt driven attachments will work, you can look at most any Deere garden tractor.

/ SHAFT GARDEN TRACTORS, short list #64  
neverenough said:
I know for a fact moving companies will haul tractors as part of the load. I know of a Ford 8N that went from here in MN down to New Mexico in a moving truck. This was WITH a loader. I couldn't tell you if it cost more or anything, but I saw the tractor in the truck, with stuff packed all around it.

When my neighbor moved down here he brought a snapper front engien rider, and a Troy Bilt Tiller...

The movers stopped halfway to adjust the load and decided to set the tilller on top of the snapper.

First big bump the tiller went through the hood and tweaked the engine and frame.

If you are going to haul a tractor, do it yourself.

/ SHAFT GARDEN TRACTORS, short list
neverenough said:
A lot of the Deere lawn and garden tractors are shaft drive, but only the 4XX, X4XX, X5XX, X7XX tractors also have shaft driven decks. That was part of the criteria listed in the original post. If belt driven attachments will work, you can look at most any Deere garden tractor.

Nope, just shaft driven, you are absolutely right. Thanks, will update list shortly!

UPDATED LIST OF SHAFT GARDEN TRACTORS, revised 10/02/06:

Cub Cadet GT3200
Cub Cadet GT2554
Cub Cadet 3235
Cub Cadet 3204, 3206
Cub cadet 3185

Ingersoll 3000 and 4000 series

John Deere 4XX, X4XX, X5XX, X7XX

Kubota G2160
Kubota G2460
Kubota GR2100
Kubota G2000 G2000S
Kubota G1900 G1900S
Kubota G1800 G1800S
Kubota G5200H G6200H
Kubota G5200H G5200H

Toro 5xi series

/ SHAFT GARDEN TRACTORS, short list #67  
UPDATED LIST OF SHAFT GARDEN TRACTORS, revised 10/02/06:

Cub Cadet GT3200
Cub Cadet GT2554
Cub Cadet 3235
Cub Cadet 3204, 3206
Cub cadet 3185

Ingersoll 3000 and 4000 series

John Deere 4XX, X4XX, X5XX, X7XX

Kubota G2160
Kubota G2460
Kubota GR2100
Kubota G2000 G2000S
Kubota G1900 G1900S
Kubota G1800 G1800S
Kubota G5200H G6200H
Kubota G5200H G5200H

Simplcity Legacy XL series

Toro 5xi series

(Simplicity was mentioned but not put on the list prior)

aesanders said:
(Simplicity was mentioned but not put on the list prior)

Ha! I must have missed that one, thanks aesanders.

/ SHAFT GARDEN TRACTORS, short list #69  
LBrown59 said:
Just bought one of these with 54'' deck tiller A/G tires front blade and front suitcase weights about 3 hours ago.

How's that workin out for ya?

Good machine?

/ SHAFT GARDEN TRACTORS, short list #70  
MT372HERE said:
How's that workin out for ya?

Good machine?

Pretty good But I miss Hydraulic lift and Power steering.
My BX23 spoiled me with that.
Everybodys lawn tractors and garden tractors have to small of a steering wheel which makes them harder to steer.