Ranger VS Gator XUV

/ Ranger VS Gator XUV #51  
I like my steel bed but could probably get away with a plastic one. I also just have the JD bed liner I've never had problems with drop-in liners on my trucks and haven't with either of my gators (granted the gators were never old) so I stuck with them. They're really tough with all the little arches in them.

That ranger video is scary as **** though. Why was the guy traveling so fast up that hill ?? I'd also like someone to comment on the center of gravity of one of those vs a gator because I've never had anything close to that happen in either of mine but it doesn't seem like it's just speed that screwed him over either.

/ Ranger VS Gator XUV #52  
Kahuna said:
If you go John Deere, get the bed liner. They are very tough and durable and really protect the bed.

I agree. I liked the bedliner because it will allow mulch and sawdust to slide out when you dump the bed. I thougth about a spray on bedliner, but the reason I put it in my truck is the same reason I don't want it on the gator...stuff stays where you put it! I bought a stall mat from TSC, and cut it to place on top of the bedliner when I don't need to dump anything.

Another tip of advice, before spray on liners were popular, we would place the plastic ones in the back of our farm trucks. Before we would set them in, we would wash out the bed, let it dry, and then spray the whole thing with WD-40. We would take the liners out once a year or so, and repeat the process. We never had any rust issues.

/ Ranger VS Gator XUV #53  
darkday said:
I like my steel bed but could probably get away with a plastic one. I also just have the JD bed liner I've never had problems with drop-in liners on my trucks and haven't with either of my gators (granted the gators were never old) so I stuck with them. They're really tough with all the little arches in them.

I like the drop in liners, they are tough but slick, the one in my PU is still as good as the day I had I installed it. They protect from dents and dings far better than the spray in. I hauled a load of chicken manure and the man I got it from told me I needed to get it all out of the truck and off the metal or it would cause rust so after I unloaded, I removed the bedliner to clean out some that had gotten through the tie down holes. Sure enough as some have stated, I found some places under the liner where the bed had rusted through, not a dent anywhere though. I put the liner back in and my truck bed will be good for a long time because the bedliner will hold whatever I put in it, truck turned twenty years old last January, doube it will last another twenty.

/ Ranger VS Gator XUV #54  
claykin22 said:
I agree. I liked the bedliner because it will allow mulch and sawdust to slide out when you dump the bed. I thougth about a spray on bedliner, but the reason I put it in my truck is the same reason I don't want it on the gator...stuff stays where you put it! I bought a stall mat from TSC, and cut it to place on top of the bedliner when I don't need to dump anything.

Another tip of advice, before spray on liners were popular, we would place the plastic ones in the back of our farm trucks. Before we would set them in, we would wash out the bed, let it dry, and then spray the whole thing with WD-40. We would take the liners out once a year or so, and repeat the process. We never had any rust issues.

I hadn't thought about the tackiness of the spray in liner. Since I don't use my UTV for dumping I was thinking about how the stuff slides around when I am driving around. I had a new 1986 Ford Ranger pick-up when I lived in Ohio (the rust belt). It was the first new vehicle I ever owned and I wanted to keep it nice. I had heard about the rust problems with plastic inserts so I brushed the bed down with used motor oil and then cut a piece of 15 lb felt to fit the bed. I put the felt between the liner and the bed. The liner pressed the felt into the oil and it sort of stuck in place. The liner still moved on top of the felt but the felt stayed put. Three years later I removed the liner to inspect the bed and there was hardly a scratch on the paint. By the way many people use WD-40 as a rust preventer but it doesn't last anywhere near as long as oil or grease.
WD-40 thread
Good Luck, Marshall

/ Ranger VS Gator XUV #55  
mars1952 said:
Here is a testament to the ruggedness of the Ranger and it's plastic bed. No one was hurt. The Ranger in this video survived with only a racked roll cage. The fenders and the bed did not show any damage.
Ranger rolls down hill.
The plastic bed can take more twisting and bending than a steel bed and still spring back to it's original shape.
Good Luck, Marshall

Do you know if this Ranger was equipped with a certified ROPS? I understand that Rangers don't come with a ROPS unless it is special order.

/ Ranger VS Gator XUV #56  
Sorry about comparing to a 6x4. i thought yall were talking a bout the gator in general.
I have to say tho that the plastic bed if a very hevy duty thing. it is also much quieter especially when you are throwing rocks one by one into the bed. it doesn't make a load boom like a rock on steal would.

some one actually backed into my bed of the ranger with their truck. it moved the ranger about 3 feet. i saw the bed totally bellow in but immediatly sprung back out to its shape. not a scatch or crack. the decals didn't even warp or come off. couldn't even tell it happened. A steel bed would have to be replaced.

the plastic bed is also nice in the woulds when you are pushed up against a tree or swing your back end into a tree it just bounces off steel would bend in and not come out

/ Ranger VS Gator XUV #57  
mikeyd said:
Do you know if this Ranger was equipped with a certified ROPS? I understand that Rangers don't come with a ROPS unless it is special order.

The regular Rangers come with ROPS, just not a "Certified ROPS". The only Ranger that does not have a roll cage on it is the Ranger TM. It is the most basic Ranger. It is a 2 wheel drive limited to 25 MPH.

I am not worried about the roll cage on my Ranger. You would have to run the Ranger off of a cliff to do serious damage to the roll cage on it.

Attachments

• Resized_Ranger wheels 2.jpg
    Resized_Ranger wheels 2.jpg
    339.5 KB · Views: 391
   / Ranger VS Gator XUV #58  
Hi Mike: The Ranger in the video has the factory roll cage. The factory roll cage on the Ranger is not ROPS certified. The ROPS Roll Cage/Cab that I have on my Ranger was a special order and completely replaces the factory roll cage. The Ranger factory roll cage holds up very well in rollovers (many of them at high speeds) but it isn't ROPS Certified.
Good Luck, Marshall

mikeyd said:

/ Ranger VS Gator XUV #59  
Hi guys,
I've been waiting all week for my account to get activated so I could chime in. I wanted to ask this same question last week, as I was also down to choosing between the gator XUV and Ranger. I managed to test drive them both (at different dealers on different days) and this was my impression: (long post)

Gator - I actually was pretty set on the XUV before my test drive - I wanted to like it more than I did. It seems to be built very solidly (more solid than the Ranger), and is quieter without much vibration. I really liked the ROPS certification and standard 3-pt restraints (lapbelt only on the Ranger), but found out that putting a cab on the gator takes away the 3 pt restraint (and the passenger handholds) anyway.

The main things that kinda irked me about the gator - my left foot couldn't get comfortable. The wheel well intrudes SIGNIFICANTLY into the footspace, and there really wasn't a place for my left foot to stretch out. No problem really for the 2 minute test drive, but not comfortable (for me) for longer trips. The second was the "amenities" - open glove box only which would disappear if you mounted a heater. No dry storage except a small tray under the hood. Also, tractor-like dashboard with a few indicator lights only. Very utilitarian.

The dump bed on the gator is awful, very awkward to dump and extremely heavy (empty). Once that bed was full of rock or topsoil, I 'm not sure I would be able to manually dump it. I would say that the electric lift option for me would be mandatory.

Ranger - Quite loud, with lots of vibration noise from the bed, cage, etc. Lots of plastic parts instead of welded steel on the Gator. Not ROPS/SAE/OSHA certified cage, and only lap belts. But lots of torque, power, and pickup. (I have scanned hundreds of blog entries, and could find no problems with injury from a faulty roll cage. Also, lots of aftermarket items such as 3 and 5pt restraints that can increase your safety - I don't think these would be compatible with the gator).

The plastic bed seems very durable - actually seemed more durable (as far as superficial finish) than the steel bed of the gator. The bed also has larger capacity, but allows for larger driver/passenger space. The bed has a standard hydraulic assist, and seems very easy to open and dump. Electric lift is an option, but does not seem like a necessity. The sharper edges of the gator steel bed will not be as friendly to fingers and such compared to the smooth polymer of the Ranger.

Left foot not nearly as crowded in the Ranger - though it looks like a small footspace, it was not uncomfortable like the Gator. I never even thought about my feet while I was driving.

The kicker was the "amenities" - closed lockable storage bin (water resistant) under the seat, closed glove box (with the heater units mountable under the hood), cubbies etc. The bench seat got my daughter's vote as she planned to sit next to me and the Gator "had no room for Mommy". The seat also seems quite comfortable and roomier than the gator. Though I am mainly going to be using it on my own small property, the Ranger definitely is set up for more comfortable excursions. And for this much money, I will probably be using it for excursions!

Also, I liked the "car-like" dash with spedometer, odometer, etc. not really useful, but nice for knowing what your machine is doing.

Bottom line - after much debate - I bought the Ranger ('07 700XP). Paid for it Thursday night, the dealer dropped it off (free delivery) Friday afternoon. i've already racked up 2 hours in the thing!

Chris
PA

/ Ranger VS Gator XUV #60  
Weekendwarrior said:
Hi guys,
I've been waiting all week for my account to get activated so I could chime in. I wanted to ask this same question last week, as I was also down to choosing between the gator XUV and Ranger. I managed to test drive them both (at different dealers on different days) and this was my impression: (long post)

Gator - I actually was pretty set on the XUV before my test drive - I wanted to like it more than I did. It seems to be built very solidly (more solid than the Ranger), and is quieter without much vibration. I really liked the ROPS certification and standard 3-pt restraints (lapbelt only on the Ranger), but found out that putting a cab on the gator takes away the 3 pt restraint (and the passenger handholds) anyway.

The main things that kinda irked me about the gator - my left foot couldn't get comfortable. The wheel well intrudes SIGNIFICANTLY into the footspace, and there really wasn't a place for my left foot to stretch out. No problem really for the 2 minute test drive, but not comfortable (for me) for longer trips. The second was the "amenities" - open glove box only which would disappear if you mounted a heater. No dry storage except a small tray under the hood. Also, tractor-like dashboard with a few indicator lights only. Very utilitarian.

The dump bed on the gator is awful, very awkward to dump and extremely heavy (empty). Once that bed was full of rock or topsoil, I 'm not sure I would be able to manually dump it. I would say that the electric lift option for me would be mandatory.

Ranger - Quite loud, with lots of vibration noise from the bed, cage, etc. Lots of plastic parts instead of welded steel on the Gator. Not ROPS/SAE/OSHA certified cage, and only lap belts. But lots of torque, power, and pickup. (I have scanned hundreds of blog entries, and could find no problems with injury from a faulty roll cage. Also, lots of aftermarket items such as 3 and 5pt restraints that can increase your safety - I don't think these would be compatible with the gator).

The plastic bed seems very durable - actually seemed more durable (as far as superficial finish) than the steel bed of the gator. The bed also has larger capacity, but allows for larger driver/passenger space. The bed has a standard hydraulic assist, and seems very easy to open and dump. Electric lift is an option, but does not seem like a necessity. The sharper edges of the gator steel bed will not be as friendly to fingers and such compared to the smooth polymer of the Ranger.

Left foot not nearly as crowded in the Ranger - though it looks like a small footspace, it was not uncomfortable like the Gator. I never even thought about my feet while I was driving.

The kicker was the "amenities" - closed lockable storage bin (water resistant) under the seat, closed glove box (with the heater units mountable under the hood), cubbies etc. The bench seat got my daughter's vote as she planned to sit next to me and the Gator "had no room for Mommy". The seat also seems quite comfortable and roomier than the gator. Though I am mainly going to be using it on my own small property, the Ranger definitely is set up for more comfortable excursions. And for this much money, I will probably be using it for excursions!

Also, I liked the "car-like" dash with spedometer, odometer, etc. not really useful, but nice for knowing what your machine is doing.

Bottom line - after much debate - I bought the Ranger ('07 700XP). Paid for it Thursday night, the dealer dropped it off (free delivery) Friday afternoon. i've already racked up 2 hours in the thing!

Chris
PA

i'm happy you got a utv and your havin some fun. but what did you mean about the hand hold and loseing it if you put a cab on your gator??if you got the delux hab the hand hold is welded to the rops on the passenger side??..

oh and you got me wanting a ranger now more than ever i do have alot of mud and the softer suspention would be nice . i love my hpx (JOHN DEERE) but it's like they say how do you know you don't like something if you don't try it .lol right now they have the 0 down and thats up my alley. does anyone have a xuv or hpx with the deluxe rops on it??if so i have some things that i need to sell .lollight rack and rear rack and bed rails beliave me them bed rails done came in handy so many times sinse i made them and put them on that i would have to make a set for my next utv .i would sell the winch and winch mount but i think i might hold onto it. as for as the rear rack it can hold 200 plus lbs for sure and it has red running lights mounted on it. and now back to the subject . you done a excelent job on the writeup. i was going to write that you really don't need a 3 point seatbelt on the hpx or xuv because they are really stable but then i remembr that argokiller rolled his one day . the only man to ever roll a gator probably too. leave it to argo if there is a way to lay it over he will find a way.lol