New driveway

/ New driveway #1  

millwrightdude

Silver Member
I live about an hour south of Dallas. After installing the new barn and carport it is time for a new driveway. I'm not sure where to start and what materials to use. I was thinking that I should dig down a few inches and then put down some kind of gravel. I thought I should ask here first, I know alot of you guys have installed new driveways. So I was hoping I could get a little education on building my new driveway.

View attachment 79998

Last edited:
   / New driveway #2  
Not that I've built a driveway before, but... I would dig it down and backfill with blue stone. The bigger stone won't tend to bury itself so quickly and will provide a solid bed to drive on. You could cover it with a couple of inches of a smaller stone for a smoother ride.

/ New driveway
What I thought I would do is dig down about 6in then put down some kind of gravel. I wanted to keep it level with the existing dirt so the water would run off. But I have never done anything like this before so I thought I should ask

/ New driveway #4  
I have read a number of posts where folks lay down a layer of fabric in order to keep the gravel from sinking into the dirt beneath. .

/ New driveway #5  
Definitely use filter fabric. Use the road stablization fabric. It comes in 12'-6" by 432'-0". I just paid $400.00 for a roll. Remove sod and top soil. Box blade (or hire dozer as I did) the area with pitch for water removal. Lay down fabric, lay down minimum of 6" crusher run, compact with tamper(or hire roller as I did). Pavement?

Check out my post......just finished up this project. I may pave, but gotta get my boss to advance me a bonus or two!!!

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/projects/96911-driveway.html

This link should help!!! Check out the pictures!!

/ New driveway #6  
There are many a way to construct a driveway.

The first consideration involves determining the loads expected and make plans accordingly. Next think about positive drainage. After that one should remove the topsoil and organic matter. Then the ditches would be cut. This would be followed up by laying in and compacting suitable subgrade material. Next is choosing the finishing material and applying it. Cut corners on the steps and you will be reminded at a later date usually during inclement weather. :D

Last edited:
   / New driveway
The carport and barn together are 60ft wide. I want it 60ft coming out then going down to about 25ft. The total distance is 146ft from the barn to the street. I'll need a new colvert which I have. I'll be using (2) 25ft colverts. I had plained on removing the top soil but not sure what to put back in its place.Should I use a large gravel base then put down a pea size gravel base on top of that? I'm just not sure. After the new driveway is installed I'll need to remove the old one.

View attachment 80094

View attachment 80095

/ New driveway #8  
I'm confused. That last picture looks like a driveway already in place. Is that yours, or your neighbors?

Most people don't realize that allot of us here in Texas have very little to almost no topsoil. If you have topsoil, then you should remove it. More then likely, you just have the grass growing on clay and rock with nothing else.

Just scrape off the grass and have some gravel delivered. It might be called limestone, cleachie or road base. The main thing is that it has rock in it that's several inches large down to fines that are the size of sand.

You need a minimum of four inches of rock for it to lock together and become solid. A little thicker is better, but not a huge difference for residential use. Less will mean potholes and movement that will lead to issues and failure.

The county, or whoever owns the road in front of your place will decide what sized culvert you need. Bigger is better, but also more money. You didn't say how big the culverts you have are, just how long. The important number is how wide the hole is in the culvert. 12 inches is the minimum, with 15 and 18 being able to handle allot more water. I had to put in a 24 inch culvert at my place.

Depending on who you get the rock from, you might also see if they have clean fill dirt. Put the culvert in place and just dump the fill dirt over it. Build this up until you get the slope you want for both the road and the sides so you can maintain it.

Before putting rock on the fill dirt, be sure to drive over it allot to compact it.

Eddie

/ New driveway
Yes thats is the old driveway. I will be removing it after I get the new one installed if front of the barn. I will be installing (2) 12in culverts. The ditch is wider than it is deep, It is around 15in deep but about 40in wide. . I have a guy that lives down the street that will bring me some road base for $100.00 a load. He has a big trailer, but cant tell me how many yards it is. He is also limited to the weight of the load because of the county roads. He said that I should dig down around 6in and then back fill with the road base. He also thinks that 5 loads should be more than enough. Then I should put down a pea sized gravel on top of that. As you stated I have very little to almost no topsoil. I just have the grass growing on clay and rock with nothing else.

/ New driveway #10  
Have you considered using the existing driveway material on the new driveway?:D