WIX Filters vs OEM Filters

/ WIX Filters vs OEM Filters #1  

MIKEKUBOTA

Tractor
Kubota 2910
I'm sure the topic has been beaten into the ground, but I figure I'd ask it again - what is the concensus on the use of OEM (in this case Kubota) filters versus WIX filters (engine, hydraulic, transmission) - opinions, warnings, accolades, etc.

/ WIX Filters vs OEM Filters #2  
MIKEKUBOTA said:
I'm sure the topic has been beaten into the ground, but I figure I'd ask it again - what is the concensus on the use of OEM (in this case Kubota) filters versus WIX filters (engine, hydraulic, transmission) - opinions, warnings, accolades, etc.

And todays FIGHT CLUB topic is;

For what it's worth, NAPA filters are made by WIX (At least the ones I use.) I've used them almost exclusively for going on 40 years now. (NOT the same filter;)) No issues to report, other than I save TIME and MONEY (Pink Floyd song titles;)) over OEM filters. On the rare occasions when I do get a filter through Massey Ferguson, they're WIX made also. (Fuel filters even have WIX name stamped on them)

Never knew of a dealer/manufacturer declining a warranty claim over aftermarket filter being used, provided it wasn't a filter failure that caused an issue.

Dealers are consumers too. They (should) understand that you don't HAVE to buy everything under the sun from them. I'd bet they buy items from aftermarket sources for their own personal use at times.

/ WIX Filters vs OEM Filters #3  
Wix manufactures all NAPA Gold filters. Wix, NAPA Gold, Donaldson, Hastings, if still in filter business, and Baldwin, to name a few are all equal to or better than OEM. In many cases they are the actual OEM supplier. I always use a Wix filter whenever available. Usually the price is MUCH better and for me it's much more convenient. If one of the big name filter companies doesn't offer it I go to the dealer as a last resort.

Keep in mind that on a new equipment design the OEM will sometimes spec a new filter design. In this case you may have no option for the 1st year or so but to go to the dealer as the aftermarket companies may not have the filter in their line yet. But be sure to check back everytime before you buy that filter as they will eventully have it available.

/ WIX Filters vs OEM Filters #4  
Wix is an excellent filter. I try to use Wix or a branded filter made by Wix whenever practical, especially on a high performance engine.

/ WIX Filters vs OEM Filters #5  
I use wix on everything except my Powerstroke, It gets a Rancor filter.

/ WIX Filters vs OEM Filters #6  
Mike,

I use Wix filters for everything on my Bobcat Toolcat (Kubota engine) with no issues to report.

dsb

/ WIX Filters vs OEM Filters #7  
One word of warning. If the filter fails the manufacturer WILL NOT always cover warrenty if your using an aftermarket filter. Case in point, we just had a customer who had a filter split under pressure. It was under the tractor, he did not notice and the machine dumped all the fluid on the ground and the engine ceased up. He is paying the bill. If it was an OEM filter it would have been covered under warrenty.

/ WIX Filters vs OEM Filters #8  
MessickFarmEqu said:
One word of warning. If the filter fails the manufacturer WILL NOT always cover warrenty if your using an aftermarket filter. Case in point, we just had a customer who had a filter split under pressure. It was under the tractor, he did not notice and the machine dumped all the fluid on the ground and the engine ceased up. He is paying the bill. If it was an OEM filter it would have been covered under warrenty.
I read and heed. No mention of Wix in my manual.

/ WIX Filters vs OEM Filters #9  
MessickFarmEqu said:

Wouldn't that require a disclaimer in the warranty? I have never seen a warranty that said "thou shalt use OEM filters only." Agreed, the filter was at fault in this case, and I will be that had the filter manufacturer been contacted, THEY would have warrantied the engine because it was trashed by their defective filter.

Back on topic: Aftermarket filters are actually higher that a Kubota filter from my dealer. Are they as good as Wix? I don't know. I think everybody, with the exception of one filter manufacturer, makes a decent filter.

/ WIX Filters vs OEM Filters #10  
I normally use WIX filters for everything. They make a good filter and I can get them at the local parts store. I will be needing a few filters for the tractor fairly soon.... so I crossed my numbers over to WIX and checked prices online at O'reilly for the WIX (where I buy them locally) and Kubota filters at Messicks. The WIX filters were more expensive than Kubota. I don't need them yet so I haven't bought them. I'll probably end up with the Kubota filters because I also need to get some UDT... so I'll just make a trip to the dealer (25 miles away) next time I head in their direction.