WIX Filters vs OEM Filters

/ WIX Filters vs OEM Filters #31  
Years back when I was even poorer, I used to scour the manufacturer filter listings looking at sizes, stats and relief pressures in search of saving a nickel. I remember one particular filter that I could substitute on my Ford and I would save not much but I thought I was shrewd. One day while double checking things I learned the filter that I--and others-had been using had a much different relief pressure than OEM. No damage was done but it could have been on my beautiful Ford 2110 that I saved for a long time to buy and could not afford to buy another.

Then it hit me; for less than a dollar I was buying a filter that may or may not conform to the OEM specs and might be a blend of stats so that one filter will fit a number of tractors. Sure, the same maker may have made the OEM filter but did it to their specs and the client did enough business that hey had better get it right.

And so, today I use OEM filters for almost everything except an occasional Purolater truck oil filter, air filter or cabin filter. Tractors get OEM filters because I still can't afford the loss.

/ WIX Filters vs OEM Filters #32  
Years back when I was even poorer, I used to scour the manufacturer filter listings looking at sizes, stats and relief pressures in search of saving a nickel.

I still do the same thing, but for different reasons.

Key stats/specs to look at:
Thread size, O-ring/seal dimensions, relief pressure, anti-drainback...yes or no

Beyond that, I look for the largest filter I can physically fit. And that is the reason I look to substitute. It aint about the money....I want a big filter.

I use a fram XG8A on my backhoe, wifes ram1500 / hemi, and on my old kubota L3400. The OEM kubota filter was really small.

Another reason I have cross referenced is filter availability. My saturn gets a xg3614. The wifes nissan....according to fram, should get a 6607. Couldnt find anyone that carried a 6607 in the xg line. Guess what...7317 filter is the same thing but 1" longer. Perfect, and its more common to find in the XG.

So, I stock XG3614, XG7317, and XG8a. And wouldnt you know, my scag mower with 27hp kohler, and my kawasaki atv also fit the 3614 and 7317 (but I dont remember off the top of my head which is which.

I have the wife get all of these filters, mobile synthetic oil, and rotella T6 when she makes her routine trips to wal-mart.

That leaves the only bastard filters being the cummins, which I get napa gold for and pass napa frequently, and the kubota hydraulic filters which I stick with oem.

It really surprises me how small some of these filters are, even for heavy duty applications. Dads chevy dually 6.0 gasser......that filter is as small as my saturn. Dont recall the #, but its about the size of them little 8oz soda cans.

/ WIX Filters vs OEM Filters #33  
LD1--Going for a bigger filter or special application is a good move, especially because you buy a high end filter. That makes sense.

/ WIX Filters vs OEM Filters #34  
Take a look at some of the filter comparisons on this FilterFleet site. FleetFilter Secure Store - Wix, Fram, Baldwin, Luberfiner: Filter Comparisons
They compare Wix (Napa Gold) to many of the main brands. Other than relief pressure and anti drain-back as mentioned, I look at the media area too. There are some big discrepancies with some brands, even with similar sized cans, using much less filter material inside. The other comments below each dissection details are interesting too.

/ WIX Filters vs OEM Filters #35  
Not a bad comparison sight....for napa 1060 and competitor filters. So if your application uses that filter....good.

But the same comparisons cannot be made across the board. That napa 1060/fram PH5 comparison is good. But the same conclusions cannot be made if they compared napa 1515 / ph8a cross referenced filters, or 1068 / PH16, or 1516 / PH3600, etc etc etc.

Also noticed they didnt compare any of the synthetic media filters.

I have a personal bias toward the fram XG filters. Have found nothing better than is commonly available, and in the same price range. Two saturns over 200k miles with 10k synthetic intervals, and the wifes nissan bought new, 150k, same 10k synthetic intervals.

/ WIX Filters vs OEM Filters #36  
One word of warning. If the filter fails the manufacturer WILL NOT always cover warrenty if your using an aftermarket filter. Case in point, we just had a customer who had a filter split under pressure. It was under the tractor, he did not notice and the machine dumped all the fluid on the ground and the engine ceased up. He is paying the bill. If it was an OEM filter it would have been covered under warrenty.

That would be understandable. I think if it had been an OEM "branded " filter that failed and he continued to operate that would still be considered abuse . Yes the filter failed but the reason the claim was denied was continued use after failure.

No the OEM is not going to cover someone elses failed filter. If he had know the filter had failed and stopped then he would not have done the damage.

There is a federal law that prohbits mfg from denied warranty for using aftermarket.

/ WIX Filters vs OEM Filters #37  

There is a federal law that prohbits mfg from denied warranty for using aftermarket.

Bingo. Oil, filters, etc. As long as it meets on spec, a claim cannot be denied on the grounds of after market parts being used.

/ WIX Filters vs OEM Filters #38  
Bingo. Oil, filters, etc. As long as it meets on spec, a claim cannot be denied on the grounds of after market parts being used.

Right. As long as it meets spec. Problem is that many, many, many cross refered filters do not meet spec. Biggest problem right now is fuel filters on tier 4 engines. We had another case here recently where a Napa 10 micon fuel filter was subbed for an OEM 5 micon. Injectors went bad, customer is the one left hanging. Granted, I have a vested interest in selling filters... but issues happening by cross-referencing are not at all uncommon. Its not worth the risk to save $5.

/ WIX Filters vs OEM Filters #39  
I've used oem filters on all my equipment when under warranty, when it ran out I used Wix on engines and fuel, I only use oem filters on anything hydraulic. When I opened the box and saw made in China on a Kubota engine oil filter that's when I went to Wix filters.

/ WIX Filters vs OEM Filters #40  
There is a huge profit margin on after market filters at dealers like NAPA. My fleet discount at NAPA is 45% less than their over the counter/shelf price and they are still making money. Lubricants, oils, hyd fluids are similar discount. Fleet discount is even less than garage price. You have to ask for these discounts to get them. They have two prices for me and I get the lowest of the two; ie, Military and fleet. Needless to say i have been a NAPA loyal customer for over 50 years. Have never found a better price or better service. If I need something they don't stock in the local store they get it many times the next day for me. They even go off their system and get stuff they do not stock so I don't have to run around finding a source. One stop shopping still exists. Their branded products are all top line manufacturers. Its is 10 minutes to NAPA and 45 minutes to my Kubota dealer.which adds other costs also.

Messick's will probably not reveal what their cost is on a filter and their mark up margin but I doubt it is as lucrative as the auto parts dealers. I would bet all the margin is on the Kubota side.

Ron