Homemade Cab for Deere 2320 CUT

/ Homemade Cab for Deere 2320 CUT #111  
I have been reading your posts on your cab that you have been making.
gotta say NICE!! work mate. looks like you bought the tractor with the cab factory built and installed. Nice work again:D
apprentice

/ Homemade Cab for Deere 2320 CUT #112  
Nice cab. Good pictures. Definitely looks like a factory build. :D

/ Homemade Cab for Deere 2320 CUT #113  
I guess there are about the same # of moving parts as most 2-stage blowers. I guess the difference is that the Farm Kings (at least in this size range) kept it simple. The PTO shaft goes straight through to the impeller. ALong the way, there's a set of exposed bevel gears (under a flip-up shield) to drive a shaft running over to the RH side. From there, just a single loop of #50 (I think) roller chain runs the auger. All the bearings are off-the-shelf type sealed bearings held with stamped steel flanges, readily available in any farm store.

Buying used, I liked the easy-to-replace parts, especially the exposed bevel gears instead of some sealed gearbox. Figured with an older used unit, if a special gearbox shelled out, might be tough to replace. Big heavy bevel gears alone can be found or scavanged fairly easily. (i.e. I seem to remember some about that size on the back of an old Deere 6600 combine to run the straw beaters...)

Bevel gear pic.

/ Homemade Cab for Deere 2320 CUT
So that's what my snowblower would've looked like when it was new! :)

Well, Other than a few odds and ends to cover up gaps along fenders and things to block the wind, the cab's just about done. The snowblower chute rotator is redone to be electric and works well.

The cab is louder than without, which I expected. I'll probably use earplugs/muffs whenever I need to run wide-open with it. Not all bad, I can use the earmuffs with the radio built in, no need to install one in the cab that way. The door latch now holds, had to do some "tweaking" on the striker plate on the cab frame so it had some bite to it.

A couple pics:

Attachments

• outdoor1.jpg
    outdoor1.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 1,343
  • outdoor2.jpg
    outdoor2.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 1,179
A couple more pics:

Attachments

• outdoor3.jpg
    outdoor3.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 883
  • outdoor4.jpg
    outdoor4.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 878
  • outdoor5.jpg
    outdoor5.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 1,308
  • outdoor6.jpg
    outdoor6.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 686
The quality control department has inspected the cab, and approves! :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_0219.jpg
    IMG_0219.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 1,678
   / Homemade Cab for Deere 2320 CUT #117  
You have done a very professional job that looks great. I cant remember if you spoke about it before but are you going to add some kind of heater so the windows dont fog up while blowing snow? Also did you think about adding a rear window wiper? I use my rear wiper more than the front when blowing snow. Also glad quality control passed the final product:D

/ Homemade Cab for Deere 2320 CUT #119  
Nice job , nice cab Only ? I have is do the doors flex when going over uneven ground ? It seems like a lot of area in the doors and plexy glass being flexable. V

Nice job , nice cab Only ? I have is do the doors flex when going over uneven ground ? It seems like a lot of area in the doors and plexy glass being flexable. V

I haven't really noticed the flexing in the plexiglass when using it. I know it does flex, but it's at least not distracting. The weekend I got the RH "glass" in, we had a day with nasty winds all day. I had to move the tractor to do something else in the shop and was a little nervous about that much wind load on the big window. But, it didn't seem to bother it much at all. I think the "bend" in the cab helps some, that split in the windows siliconed back together gives it a little more stiffness than 1 completely flat piece.

The door itself is a bit on the flexy side though. The low mounted latch didn't help that much, but that was the easiest place to fit it in as things developed. If you hit a big hole or something, you can see the top of the door frame flex away from the cab frame a bit. Nothing rattles because of the weatherstripping, so that's good. A latch closer to halfway up would've helped that problem a lot...