Homemade Cab for Deere 2320 CUT

/ Homemade Cab for Deere 2320 CUT
You could buy a large one-wire alternator and connect it to the PTO. Need about a 3:1 pulley ratio. Connect to the tractor battery. You'd have so much power that those little 12vdc heaters would drive you out of the cab in fifteen minutes.

Interresting Idea... I could actually mount it up underneath the tractor and run it off of the mid-PTO, which I believe spins closer to 2000 RPM... My 2320 lets me chose to run mid PTO, rear PTO, or both at the same time... I could run the mid PTO when transporting to heat things up, then flip to the rear PTO to run the blower...

/ Homemade Cab for Deere 2320 CUT #132  
Interresting Idea... I could actually mount it up underneath the tractor and run it off of the mid-PTO, which I believe spins closer to 2000 RPM... My 2320 lets me chose to run mid PTO, rear PTO, or both at the same time... I could run the mid PTO when transporting to heat things up, then flip to the rear PTO to run the blower...

The alternator is mounted & driven off the rear of the engine on the 8X30 series JD tractors. Our 1523 also allows to run both mid and rear PTO's at once. :)

/ Homemade Cab for Deere 2320 CUT #134  
If one looks hard enough, plenty of after market cab heaters are out there. Most are water heat like your car and truck heater; but some are all electric. Unless you've got a big amp alternator, I'd go with a water based heater and let the electricity power the fan.

One does not need to buy from Curtis to get the same or similar heater. Curtis just buys them from someone else and marks them up for the middleman profit.

/ Homemade Cab for Deere 2320 CUT #135  
Any idea what the cost of this cab project totalled??

/ Homemade Cab for Deere 2320 CUT #136  
Used to see those auxillary heaters that got their heat from the radiator coolant and using a electric blower at various places-the J.C. Whitney catalog was one them. How hard could it be to rig one up even if you just started with a heater core from the auto parts store?

/ Homemade Cab for Deere 2320 CUT #137  
Used to see those auxillary heaters that got their heat from the radiator coolant and using a electric blower at various places-the J.C. Whitney catalog was one them. How hard could it be to rig one up even if you just started with a heater core from the auto parts store?

Do you mean just have a fan blowing accross a heater core?

I guess that's really all these heaters are anyway.

/ Homemade Cab for Deere 2320 CUT #139  
Yes. A hydronic fan coil in a box with a fan blowing air through the coil. No different in principal than the heater in any car.

/ Homemade Cab for Deere 2320 CUT #140  
Carter makes a heater that is 6" X 6" with the core being about3" thick.

That is what I use in my cab.
However I replaced the motor as it was a big noisy inefficient thing (and drew LOTS of amps).
I replaced with a 12v 4 x 4 computer type 'muffin fan' that draws less than 1 amp.

Today I was blowing snow in -20 deg C. and was quite cosy (other then feet as I neglected to re install my 'winter carpets')
My tractor floor is 'well vented' for want of a better description.
They punched as many holes as possible to cteate a non slip surface

The heater core that I used came from under a rear seat of a scrapped school bus, price was right!

Plumbing was easy, I simply piped into the 1/2" water pump bypass hose and used autoparts 1/2 radiator hose available by the foot. Being 1/2" I used regular 1/2" copper for all straight runs. Probably today I'd use PEX instead.

Oh, and I used household foam pipe insulation wherever possible to keep the heat in the pipes.