Pearl Harbor Day

/ Pearl Harbor Day #1  

Bird

Epic Contributor
My wife was watching Fox News this morning and while they were talking about the attack on Pearl Harbor, she said one of the young newsmen made a comment about wondering what people thought when they got up that morning and turned on their TV.:rolleyes: Of course, she said he appeared to be about 30 years old. I guess these young folks can't imagine a world without television, but I don't recall ever even seeing a television before 1953 and we got our first one in 1954. My wife says her family got their first TV in 1958. She and I were married in 1964 and got our first color TV in late 1968.

/ Pearl Harbor Day #2  
Bird, I think you are quite right. Youngsters these days cannot imagine a world without TVs, refrigerators, air conditioners, or hundreds of other conveniences. Wikipedia has a history of television. If you scroll down a few pages, it lists when commercial TV broadcasting started in US states and Canada. Texas, for example, had it's first broadcast in 1948, long after Pearl Harbor and the end of WWII.

History of TV

/ Pearl Harbor Day
Jim, here's another History of TV that says CBS did broadcast news of the attack on Decmber 7 but doesn't say from where, what the coverage was, or how many TVs existed back then. I found some indication that it may have only been in New York City, since the first two licenses were issued in July, 1941, in New York.

/ Pearl Harbor Day #4  
Wow that's right Dec 7, 1941, "a date that will live in infamy"
I forgot all about, read the paper and didn't see a single storey about it, watched the news, nothing there ether. nothing on my browser's news briefs, ???, in past years there is at least some mention of it, where's Tom Brokaw. Hope this is not a trend.

Thanks for the reminder Bird.
JB.

/ Pearl Harbor Day
That's surprising, JB. Fox News has been running stories all morning about it, our local newspapers have stories about it, and my ISP's news page has stories about it.

/ Pearl Harbor Day #6  
Youngsters these days cannot imagine a world without TVs, refrigerators, air conditioners, or hundreds of other conveniences.

Funny, my wife and I (were both in our mid 40's) were just commenting on how far cell phones have come.

One of the most worthless classes I took in college (IMO for my "real life" work experience) was also one of the most interesting classes I took, by examining society and how that society "evolves" through technological advances and what effects those advances has on our behavior. Case in point, the dating habits of teenagers (high school) and how those habits changed with both the introduction of the automobile and telephone.

That said, per the topic at hand, the Memorial in Hawaii is a must for any visitor. To see the Arizona laying in the water is hard to put into words when you realize that the ship is the resting place for many of our servicemen.

/ Pearl Harbor Day #7  
Funny, my wife and I (were both in our mid 40's) were just commenting on how far cell phones have come.

One of the most worthless classes I took in college (IMO for my "real life" work experience) was also one of the most interesting classes I took, by examining society and how that society "evolves" through technological advances and what effects those advances has on our behavior. Case in point, the dating habits of teenagers (high school) and how those habits changed with both the introduction of the automobile and telephone.

Saw something to the same effect, showed how the average male, pre-horse era would marry a women within a mile of his birth place, the horse moved it to 20 miles (or so) and farther as travel became easier.

/ Pearl Harbor Day #8  
My wife was watching Fox News this morning and while they were talking about the attack on Pearl Harbor, she said one of the young newsmen made a comment about wondering what people thought when they got up that morning and turned on their TV.:rolleyes: Of course, she said he appeared to be about 30 years old. I guess these young folks can't imagine a world without television, but I don't recall ever even seeing a television before 1953 and we got our first one in 1954. My wife says her family got their first TV in 1958. She and I were married in 1964 and got our first color TV in late 1968.

I, being younger than you, cannot recall not having a TV. But I do remember getting our first color (WITH REMOTE!) huge console in 1969. Still only got 3 channels (sucked when the president came on) We still have it, I put a new TV in it in the 90's (that will be obsolete in Feb)
The wife and i were watching the game show network and the question was what came first.

Audio Cassette
Video Cassette
Color Television
Pong video Game system

Took some thinking for me to come up with the correct answer (the wife got it wrong)

/ Pearl Harbor Day #9  
Was at Pearl Harbor many times... we always stood the rails while passing.

mark

/ Pearl Harbor Day #10  
Today is celebrated with somber remembrance.

My Grandfather, a WWI vet of the fierce fighting in France, was on the HAM radio with a guy in Pearl City. In the background he heard the first bombs going off. The guys ran outside, saw what was happening. He came back inside, told my Grandfather "My god, the Jap's are attacking us!", and then they both went to radio silence for the rest of the war.

I found a book a couple years ago for my then 10 year old son. He did a school report on it. It is a good read, for kid or adult, "The Children of Battleship Row" by Joan Zuber Earle. I would highly recommend it.

The book is a biography of the author living on Ford Island in '40-41. She was just ten or so when the attack came. Her dad was a USMC Major. They lived in quarters just a few hundred feet from the USS Arizona and USS Tennessee. The book describes life as a kid the year before the attack, during the attack, and during the kids/mom's return to San Francisco. During the attack, as they were being evacuated to a safe bunker, a 2 ton chunk of the Arizona landed in their yard.

A link to the book and an excerpt/review

The Children of Battleship Row
"During the attack, the Arizona exploded five hundred feet from their family's quarters. The two girls and their mother were strafed as they dashed to safety. Later on that day of infamy, the girls helped respond to the attack by loading bullets for machine guns. This wonderful book documents from a child's-eye view one of the most dramatic and important moments in American history. A must-read for children and their parents, it is the unforgettable story of a girl who must grow up in a single day."

I have been to the Arizona Memorial. It was a very somber tour.

It was something to behold, a bunch of tourist entering the theater. A mix of tourist, including a couple bus loads of Japanese tourist, went in. By the time the film ended, you could cut the tension with a knife. Even though it was so many years ago, the tension still ran high after the film. It was eye opening for the Japanese tourist; it is my understanding they don't teach about it at all in Japan.

Unfortunately, even kids in the US are not learning about important events in US history; much is being glossed over.