I Remember...

/ I Remember...
Man did you hit a homerun with this thread. I can relate to so many of your memories. I LOL'd when you mentioned roller bat. No one in WI that I've met since I've lived here knows the game. I did teach it to my kids!

Roller Bat. Hit the ball and if the person in the outfield caught it in the air they got to go in and bat or if you did not catch it in the air you had to roll the ball from where you caught it and try to hit the bat laid flat on the ground. Smaller kids could bat if they caught the ball on first bounce or call relay and throw the ball to someone closer to the bat but they had to catch it in the air.

/ I Remember... #12  
My cousin still has his too.
He still has his first 22 rifle a Remington single shot his dad got for him new back around 1952.
About a year later he got a 22 pistol yep he still has that too.
He had the BB gun quite a while before he the 22s.
Sounds like your dad might be about my cousins age.

old man was born in 57 and he had the daisy when he was very young. I might guess a date of 62-64 but i dont think the date is in the serial#. unless in code i guess.

/ I Remember... #13  
Ah! the days of the nickel Baby Ruth.
Taking the bus downtown for 10 cents.
My brother and I getting a haircut for $1 that's for both of us.
Saturday double feature at the show for $.25 that included a small Coke & popcorn.
Gas for my first car when the gas wars were raging. Good Gulf for $ 0.12.9 per gal.
College tuition at the state university was $350 per semester.
When the girlfriend and I went to get a license to marry and paid $5.
First job out of college for $550 per month, with a new baby and new car.
Oh well enough of this time to get back to reality.

/ I Remember... #14  
OK, now I do have some outdoor memories, too, but did anybody else collect the Hardy Boys mysteries? I started with some from older cousins and then got in the habit. Bought one for every special occasion. I still have them and maybe one of the grandkids will want them. My own kids never really got into them. I used to sit on the big wide porch of our house that looked out over the small town we lived in during thunder storms....best time to read a mystery!

Chuck

/ I Remember... #15  
~~~~~~~~~~~
I remember...
1*Shooting bumble bees off sunflowers with my BB gun *Picking wild blackberries for home made pies. *Playing cowboys and Indians.
2*Saving my milk money for school all week and on Friday getting off the bus at the little country store to buy a RC and cheese crackers for a quarter and getting change back.
3*Swinging on vines in the woods, and using the heavy kid to test them first
4*Getting up at 6:00 am on a Saturday to watch my favorite cowboy Roy Rogers and Trigger .
5*Playing cowboys and Indians.
6*making our on bows and arrows.
7*Nailing a board in a tree in the woods and calling it a tree house.
8*Standing up in the back of the truck and riding to grand maws on Sunday for dinner, best fried chicken and biscuits ever made .
9*Going to the Burger House once a month, fine dinning in your car.
10*Looking for hours at the stars at night, before street lights were common.
11*Taking a wagon and making a coasting go cart 12*When I was allowed to mow the grass on the riding lawn mower, only had forward and reverse, but I was driving
Thanks Eddie for bringing back some memories.
```````````````````````````
1*I remember those three.
2*Stopping at the little mom and pop grocery store straight across from the school house and buying me a Hostess snow ball cup cake for a nickel to eat before going on into the school .This was in first grade and I was only 5 years old at the time. A 5 year old back in those days didn't get a nickel very often so it was pretty far between hostess cakes wonder it that is what made them taste so good.
3*We didn't have any heavy kid to test the vine but I never went first.
4*I watched Roy but I don't remember what time I got up.
5* yep cowboys and Indians.
6* Me and my cousin made bows and arrows out of umbrella ribs and used a piece of fish cord for the bow string .For arrows we took one of the ribs and ground a point on one end and ground a notch on the other end.Did I mention those things would stick real good in trees the porch post building and house trim and the
outhouse. Used to hide them inside our jackets and sneak them into school too.
7* We used to nail them right up the trunk of a tree and call it a ladder to a tower.
8*We always road way out in the country to grandmas in the car. Always got a piece of home made bread baked on the old wood cook stove before we left to eat on the way home I swear there wasn't nothin better than that slice of bread smothered in butter.
9* The burger houses were after my time.
10*Not as long ago but still over 46 years ago me and a buddy camped out sleeping out in the wide open spaces on 2 army cots no tent. Little did I know than I would own that piece of land a few short years later and would spend the biggest part of my life calling it home and living on it.
11*Me and my cousin made a lot of coaster carts when we were kids. We had one that steered on both ends;
The JD x749 don't have nothing on us.
We had another one that had steel reel type lawn mower wheels on it and it would really fly down a hill.
12*We never had anything but a push mower .​

/ I Remember... #16  
After reading Eddie Walker's thread about his 8 year old and new BB gun last night I started reminiscing about my BB gun and childhood and the rural life we lived.

And I remember...

~, and using the heavy kid to test them first

~

Thanks Eddie for bringing back some memories.

HEY I Resemble that but it was fun!

tom

/ I Remember... #18  
We had a corner "little market" where we would share a coke and drink it there so we wouldn't have to pay the deposit. The coke was a dime. We would play over-the-line all day long, ride our beat up bikes around town or spend the whole day hiking in the hills. I always had my mitt with me. Our parents wouldn't see us from 7 or 8 in the morning until supper time. When my Dad came home from work his supper (and ours) would be ready to eat on the table. I mean it was the first thing we did as soon as he came home. Mom would cook all day long making meals but also baking cookies and cakes.

The Saturday matinee(sp) was .50 cents and for a buck you would spend the whole day at the show watching the cartoon and movie shows over again. A buck would get you into the show and have enough for popcorn, milk duds and a coke. We would go around the neighborhood mowing lawns for spending money. Nobody got "allowances" that I knew. I had a Sunday afternoon job at the corner market cleaning Mr. Shermer's meat cutting machines. I was 8 years old and wiped the fat off the blades and washed them with soap and water. It would take me a couple hours and he'd give me a buck! I did that every Sunday after Church back then. Oh, and I could buy cigarettes for my Mom and he thought nothing of it. It was 1958.
Rob-

/ I Remember... #19  
OK, now I do have some outdoor memories, too, but did anybody else collect the Hardy Boys mysteries?
Chuck

I bought a bunch of those as a kid. My mom just bought what looks to be the whole set at a garage sale. :D I guess she figured I would want them. :D And I do. :) Kinda out of date now a days though.

I sure did alot of this stuff as a kid. I just "went home again" over the weekend with google maps. :eek: I "visited" one of the houses we had and it was danged interesting to go to the street view and look at the house. The trees in the neighborhood are much larger. But everything looks just the same otherwise. The pine in the front yard used to be real small. I would climb it as high as I dared with the limbs getting real close to breaking so I could see the airshows over at Barksdale AFB. :D

The old school had expanded. There is a new buildng where I used to practice football. The bikeracks are a building on them. :D

Looked at the old stop and rob I used to go to every Saturday. I would sit on the floor try to maximize the amount of candy and comic books I could get along with the Icee. :D Can't believe my parents let me cross a four land highway. :D Just found out this year my mom did not know where I was going. :):):) Not sure how she did not know where I was getting the icee from....

I "went home again" to a few places we lived. Interesting to see the old places. How they had changed so little. Scary that I could see them from my house hundreds of miles away. :D

Later,
Dan

/ I Remember... #20  
1*Looked at the old stop and rob I used to go to every Saturday.
2*I "went home again" to a few places we lived. Interesting to see the old places. How they had changed so little.
3*Scary that I could see them from my house hundreds of miles away. :D
Later,
Dan
1*What is a stop and rob.
2*I have only lived at one other place than where i am now.I grew up 2.3 miles from where I live now.
Left there in 1964 at age 24.
3*Where are you from there?