Pretty Lame Daytona 500

/ Pretty Lame Daytona 500 #21  
Great film Skypup! I think the only thing that kept you out of first was the little bit of drag from the helmet cam.

We run the Rolex Daytona SuperSpeed Circuit every year.

Glad that you enjoyed the hardcore racing video, it is well worth the download. It was a very difficult, close, competitive race at high speeds with lots of thrills attempting to take the lead throughout the entire race. Being up on those banks at that speed was pretty awesome, not to mention that the karts take up to 3.5-4G's on the turns, way way more force than any NASCAR vehicle could handle without creaming the concrete walls.

/ Pretty Lame Daytona 500 #22  
I used to enjoy watching NASCAR years ago. They lost me when they came out with the "Car Of Tomorrow". Now its not even possible to relate to a particular manufacturer. Apparently, even in this economy, they have no trouble filling the stands though...

That "Car Of Tomorrow" is junk.

I can't stand to hear it when NASCAR has a race and it starts to rain,
then they stop the race and get the jet dryers out and waste fuel.

Then you see Superbike Motorcycle racing, and when it rains they keep going.

/ Pretty Lame Daytona 500 #23  
We run the Rolex Daytona SuperSpeed Circuit every year.

Glad that you enjoyed the hardcore racing video, it is well worth the download. It was a very difficult, close, competitive race at high speeds with lots of thrills attempting to take the lead throughout the entire race. Being up on those banks at that speed was pretty awesome, not to mention that the karts take up to 3.5-4G's on the turns, way way more force than any NASCAR vehicle could handle without creaming the concrete walls.

Nice pictures and video, i like cart racing also.

Do you ever watch "PINKS"? I watched the one where a stockbroker
lost his cart to a professional cart racer.:D

My wife's cousin son is 13 and he races carts, he won the championship in his age group last year.

Here is a pic. from the newspaper.

Last edited:
   / Pretty Lame Daytona 500 #24  
Good Afternoon John,
Yeah your right it wasnt too good for the fans, but if they had gonr out for the last 47 laps or whatever it was, it could of had an exciting ending ! ;)

/ Pretty Lame Daytona 500 #25  
Back in 1992, 1993 and 1994, I used to go down to the 500 with 8-10 of my buddies. We'd rent a 32' RV over in Kissimmee and then drive over and party Fri. night through Sunday evening in the infield. Those were great times. Of course, we didn't care about the race, just the camaraderie, poker games and drinking. :cool:

Some of them still go and each year around December, I get an email or phone call asking me to go back. No thanks...my liver can't take it anymore...not to mention my wife wouldn't allow it. Oh sure, I could go, but when I got back home, the locks would be changed and I'd probably be getting stalked by some dude trying to serve me paperwork. :eek:

Podunk

/ Pretty Lame Daytona 500 #26  
I've never understood NACAR (there's nothing Stock about them, I think the "S" is some sort of inside joke).

They have not been since the 70's. The Superbirds and Torino Talladega's were towards the ends of when you actually used a stock car, and modified it. They have been tube frame fake body for years. In the 50's-early 70's though, they were "stock cars".

There is no way you could take one of the uni-body cars of today, and modify it to run the way they do.

You can though, still find lots of local and regional short track racing in street stocks etc, where they still use cars from the street. A local track has a class just for "Police Intercepters". Most of the cars are ex Highway Patrol or Sheriff Ford Crown Vic's. They have to keep them pretty stock, except for safety items.

/ Pretty Lame Daytona 500 #27  
I did get to ride in a NASCAR Pace Car around the track at 180mph in the passenger seat.

At that speed the ONLY direction you look is STRAIGHT AHEAD as the concrete wall was only inches away from my door.... :eek: :eek: :eek:

/ Pretty Lame Daytona 500 #28  
Some of them still go and each year around December, I get an email or phone call asking me to go back. No thanks...my liver can't take it anymore...not to mention my wife wouldn't allow it. Oh sure, I could go, but when I got back home, the locks would be changed and I'd probably be getting stalked by some dude trying to serve me paperwork. :eek:

Podunk

Good Evenin Podunk,
:D That was great ! :D I can relate, I used to go to the Pageant of Steam in Canadaigua Ny and we did the same thing ! The last time I was there my buddy actually turned his pickup into a cooler and loaded it with beer and ice, of course we had to drink all the beer before the ice melted ! :eek:

I was always wndering if my clothes and other worldly possessions would be in the driveway when I came home ! ;)

/ Pretty Lame Daytona 500 #29  
i personally think NASCAR died the same day Dale Sr. did. i wasnt a fan of his either, but the sport has just changed SO much since then(for worse in my opinion) and i continue to lose more interest every year. heck, i didnt even watch the Daytona 500 and i can remember spending an entire Sunday afternoon watching that very race from start to finish when i was younger. now i could care less.
I couldn't agree more. I used to spend my Sunday afternoons the same way. If I couldn't watch it, I listened to it on the radio. I have not done that for years. Cookie cutter cars driven by cookie cutter drivers. Now I'd rather watch F1.

/ Pretty Lame Daytona 500 #30  
Yeah i agree guys, COT has just about done it for me..
Who wants to watch just a bunch of chevys run..

No Mercs, Plymouths, Olds, Pontiacs etc...Boring LOL..

I've been following nascar for 50 years, (kinda old huh),
just not much fun anymore..

Just my 2 cents worth..

Bob..