Cultipacker

/ Cultipacker #1  

Ridgewalker

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH TC29
Can someone please explain what a cultipacker does? I have been looking for a old 3 pt. disc to work over a old field and came across a culitpacker I can pick up pretty cheap. I just don't know if I need it! :rolleyes:

/ Cultipacker #2  
Can someone please explain what a cultipacker does? I have been looking for a old 3 pt. disc to work over a old field and came across a culitpacker I can pick up pretty cheap. I just don't know if I need it! :rolleyes:

I breaks up dirt clods after plowing and/or discing.
Also used to pack the soil after discing and seeding a hayfield.

My 9-ft cultipacker is a typical design.

Cost: $600, a pretty decent price considering they go for twice that price or higher on eBay. These simple implements, IMHO, are way overpriced by dealers.

DSCF0086Small.jpg

DSCF0085Small.jpg

/ Cultipacker #3  

Many crops don't like to be seeded into a loose seedbed with air pockets and clods. Cultipackers break some of the clods and firm the seedbed. Grass seed comes to mind as one that prefers a nice firm seedbed. I don't know what you call "cheap", but cultipackers sell suprisingly high these days. If nothing else, buy it and re-sell. Nothing like a quick easy buck!

/ Cultipacker #4  
Cultipackers are highly sought after these days because of the rapidly increasing popularity of foodplotting for whitetail deer. A cultipacker that could only be sold for scrap value 10 years ago will almost always fetch $500 or better these days. I have one that I gave a neighbor a case of beer for (cheap beer too) about 15 years ago. It is tough to find a deal like that today. They are very effective when planting the two most popular deer plot crops: clover and brassicas.

/ Cultipacker
Many crops don't like to be seeded into a loose seedbed with air pockets and clods. Cultipackers break some of the clods and firm the seedbed. Grass seed comes to mind as one that prefers a nice firm seedbed. I don't know what you call "cheap", but cultipackers sell suprisingly high these days. If nothing else, buy it and re-sell. Nothing like a quick easy buck!

I found one that the owner is asking $150.00 for. It looks like the one the the pix but doesnt' have the spikes and of course it's rusty as heck. pix added...

Sounds like I need to snag it if I can...Thanks for the quick replies gents!

Edit...it was good deal alright...it's already gone! It was posted on CL and the 1st guy to see it got it...dang!

Last edited:
   / Cultipacker #6  
3 words

Cultipacker ..... Cheap ...... GONE!

Next time you'll know.

By the way, that one in the pictures is a $6-800 unit as it sits.

jb

/ Cultipacker #7  
I have achieved just as good of results on clover plots by dragging something like an old railroad tie across after seeding as I have by using a cultipacker. Most folks are brainwashed into thinking you need a cultipacker for clover, etc, which keeps the values sky high.

/ Cultipacker #8  
ive seen them used to crush/break over a cover crop like wheat before no-till planting of a second cash crop.

/ Cultipacker #9  
They are also used to break the crust of the ground so the seedling can come through. Especially if after seeding you get a hard rain. The ground can become crusty and will impede the seedling from pushing through.....that is what a cultipacker can do.

/ Cultipacker #10  
I have a stretch of ground that I have shaped to be a watershed for a pond on our farm. I have planted grass on this stretch of ground and now, after the grass matures and is mowed, I am considering regularly running a cultipacker over the ground in the direction of the pond to keep the ground smooth and packed to better shed water. I have never used a cultipacker and need some experienced opinions about using a cultipacker for this use.
The soil that I am doing this on is pretty light.

Last edited: