Grapple Any thoughts about using a stump bucket grapple instead of a full sized grapple.

/ Any thoughts about using a stump bucket grapple instead of a full sized grapple. #21  
Regarding the balance of the load, that needs to be centered regardless of the grapple width. The width of the grapple really has nothing to do with balance. I wouldn't want to travel with 2/3 of a heavy load off center in any situation. Grasping and holding logs securely is really not an issue with a 48 inch grapple. I can use mine as a saw buck just as well.

There is where I have different thoughts.

If all the logs are straight, and more or less even in diameter you can arrange them with about the same center of gravity and pick up the stack. No matter how wide the grapple.

I get a lot of small scrub trees. Most are very crooked, some have root balls, some don't, and it is hard to stack them evenly. There is where the wide grapple really helps.

I agree the jaw opening is the same width.

/ Any thoughts about using a stump bucket grapple instead of a full sized grapple. #22  
Regarding the balance of the load, that needs to be centered regardless of the grapple width. The width of the grapple really has nothing to do with balance. I wouldn't want to travel with 2/3 of a heavy load off center in any situation. Grasping and holding logs securely is really not an issue with a 48 inch grapple. I can use mine as a saw buck just as well.

There is where I have different thoughts.

If all the logs are straight, and more or less even in diameter you can arrange them with about the same center of gravity and pick up the stack. No matter how wide the grapple.

I get a lot of small scrub trees. Most are very crooked, some have root balls, some don't, and it is hard to stack them evenly. There is where the wide grapple really helps.

I agree the jaw opening is the same width.

I am not understanding how you feel a wider grapple helps to deal with balancing the load you describe. I understand exactly the type of load as I deal with that too. What I do is stack them in a staggered manner but still roughly balanced around a center point that I will grapple. Some rootballs will stick out to either side but the overall load is roughly balanced.

My point is that balance depends on the distance from the true midpoint of the load (something we can only estimate) and the centerline of the grapple. It is not influenced by how wide the grapple is.

/ Any thoughts about using a stump bucket grapple instead of a full sized grapple.
Am i missing something here because that is the same bucket as markham, picture and everything.

click here

I agree, it is the same bucket so I called Markham. They are very nice people. Ordering directly from them will save me money too.

I was talking to the lady on the phone getting information about the light duty wide grapple vs the heavy duty narrow grapple. She gave me some custom options which would split the difference. I had my credit card out and was ready to purchase when she told me that she wanted me to be satisfied with my grapple and told me where to do some more research.

I'm impressed that they are more interested in my being happy with what I buy rather than just making the sale.

I'm still thinking the 30 model will work for me but I'm still open to suggestions.

/ Any thoughts about using a stump bucket grapple instead of a full sized grapple. #24  
I'm still thinking the 30 model will work for me but I'm still open to suggestions.

Which is the "30 model"?

I'd personally go for a 48 inch light duty with extra spacer tines. I believe that grapple would please about 95% of the guys on TBN and the price/value cannot be beat.

/ Any thoughts about using a stump bucket grapple instead of a full sized grapple.
Which is the "30 model"?

I'd personally go for a 48 inch light duty with extra spacer tines. I believe that grapple would please about 95% of the guys on TBN and the price/value cannot be beat.

Its the "Extreme Gator Mini Rake"

Markham Welding - Extreme Gator Mini Rake

It uses 1/2 steel and uses larger tubing than the light duty.

I talked to my brother, he has a 60 inch grapple and thinks that the 30 would do fine.

I'm hard on equipment and although I've already dug out most of my stumps, I found some rocks I'l like to dig out of the ground, I think this may be just the tool. I managed to break a Case 680E backhoe playing on my property, more than once.

I hope I'm not dissapointed with the durability or the width.

/ Any thoughts about using a stump bucket grapple instead of a full sized grapple. #26  
Its the "Extreme Gator Mini Rake"

Markham Welding - Extreme Gator Mini Rake

It uses 1/2 steel and uses larger tubing than the light duty. .

I'm sure you'll do fine. It is probably overbuilt for what a CUT can dish out but I wouldn't worry about the width being too narrow. There will be occasions when you wish it were wider but probably an equal number of times where the narrow width allows you to put a lot more force on a stump or rock than you could with a wider grapple.

Have fun.

I'm sure you'll do fine. It is probably overbuilt for what a CUT can dish out but I wouldn't worry about the width being too narrow. There will be occasions when you wish it were wider but probably an equal number of times where the narrow width allows you to put a lot more force on a stump or rock than you could with a wider grapple.

Have fun.

My brother has a Farm Hand 5 foot grapple that I could borrow in a pinch. I've watched him smash down a brush pile the size of a small garage, pick it up and drive away with it.

I did learn a cool new trick with the 4n1 today. There is a little cedar that is too big to mow over and I never have a chainsaw handy when I think about it. I opened the 4n1 lowered it down from the top, closed the bucket and drove off with it. I think the two tools will complement each other well.

/ Any thoughts about using a stump bucket grapple instead of a full sized grapple. #28  
I did learn a cool new trick with the 4n1 today. There is a little cedar that is too big to mow over and I never have a chainsaw handy when I think about it. I opened the 4n1 lowered it down from the top, closed the bucket and drove off with it.

When you get one that is too tall to just lower down on, raise the 4-n-1 and open it all the way. Come up on the tree from the side, turn into it as sharp as you can. Use one brake to help. If you do this just right, you will push on the tree with the side of the bucket, it will bend over and then pop back up in the gap between the pieces of the bucket.

Lower the bucket, close it and lift the tree.

I have gotten ones up to about 14' tall this way.

/ Any thoughts about using a stump bucket grapple instead of a full sized grapple. #29  
I did learn a cool new trick with the 4n1 today. There is a little cedar that is too big to mow over and I never have a chainsaw handy when I think about it. I opened the 4n1 lowered it down from the top, closed the bucket and drove off with it.

When you get one that is too tall to just lower down on, raise the 4-n-1 and open it all the way. Come up on the tree from the side, turn into it as sharp as you can. Use one brake to help. If you do this just right, you will push on the tree with the side of the bucket, it will bend over and then pop back up in the gap between the pieces of the bucket.

Lower the bucket, close it and lift the tree.

I have gotten ones up to about 14' tall this way.

You guys are being too dainty. Just push the bugger over then dig the grapple under the roots and pop it out!:D

/ Any thoughts about using a stump bucket grapple instead of a full sized grapple. #30  
Regarding the comparison of a stump bucket/grapple to a regular grapple, I think the stump buckets are rather specialized tools and don't see the utility for someone who is really looking for more general purpose grapple work. I think the idea that 1/2 inch tines are necessarily better than 3/8 is a rather narrow and misguided notion....the real issue is whether the grapple is well designed, well built and whether you use it correctly. Do you insist on 1/2 sides to your standard bucket?

I have a 280lb 3/8 inch light duty grapple that has stood up to everything my 5000 lb+ 40hp tractor with 2700lb lift loader can throw at it. The Markham light duty (not what I have) is the best deal out there right now and while it can be ordered in a "standard" 1/2 inch version if you really want, the extra steel will lower lift capacity and cost you more.
I have the BoDozer with 1/2" top tines and 3/4" bottom tines and it has taken a beating. I would love to try a light weight narrow grapple as I've had times where it would have been handy. Plus its real heavy (about 800lbs). I've often wondered if just for picky logs if the small narrow grapple wouldn't be better.