Grapple Any thoughts about using a stump bucket grapple instead of a full sized grapple.

/ Any thoughts about using a stump bucket grapple instead of a full sized grapple.
I have about the same sized tractor as you (Kubota MX5000) and I have a WR Long OBG2 56" grapple. Its an amazing tool. If you only have a couple of stumps I would recomend renting a backhoe to dig them out and just get a a Light duty grapple for your tractor. I think you will get more use out of it than the stump bucket.
Just a word about the thickness of the steel used in making the grapples. 3/8" steel is fine for the size tractors we are using. The outside tines are always thicker (1/2" to 5/8"). You will bust up the FEL long before you hurt the grapple.

Good luck.

How wide does your light duty grapple open?

/ Any thoughts about using a stump bucket grapple instead of a full sized grapple.
ref=dp_image_0

I hope this is a picture of what I am looking at.

If not, here is a link.

http://www.amazon.com/Skid-Loader-Grapple-Stump-Rake/dp/B001F92UBW

looking at the picture, would this thing work well as a stump bucket? It doesn't have a cutting edge.

/ Any thoughts about using a stump bucket grapple instead of a full sized grapple. #14  
Looked at the pictures. That is a clone of the Markham, both are very similar. I think that would work quite well for general use, but you would struggle with a large stump, especially if it had already been cut low. It's not really made for digging but for engaging the roots and curling and lifting out.

Looked at the pictures. That is a clone of the Markham, both are very similar. I think that would work quite well for general use, but you would struggle with a large stump, especially if it had already been cut low. It's not really made for digging but for engaging the roots and curling and lifting out.

That's what I wanted to hear. I'm just about ready to pull the trigger.

/ Any thoughts about using a stump bucket grapple instead of a full sized grapple. #16  
I'm not sure that isn't made by Markham look at their stuff, and look for the same guy on Ebay. I don't have any personal knowledge but I'd swear it's the same thing. The biggest difference is Markham will customize anything you want.

/ Any thoughts about using a stump bucket grapple instead of a full sized grapple. #17  
I'm not sure that isn't made by Markham look at their stuff, and look for the same guy on Ebay. I don't have any personal knowledge but I'd swear it's the same thing. The biggest difference is Markham will customize anything you want.

That's true. I called Melissa at Markham, described what I wanted that was not their standard design, and she said "No problem" They made it, shipped it, and I received it in 4 days. Amazing.

/ Any thoughts about using a stump bucket grapple instead of a full sized grapple. #20  
...want to know if 30 inch wide is too narrow to be used effectively for brush and log moving...

I have a 72" grapple, never used anything smaller, but the sense I get is that a narrow one might work well for brush, but a wide one is better for log moving.

I have a lot of scrub trees anywhere from 4-5" to 12" in diameter. If I stack them up right, I can move a whole stack with the wide grapple, with a narrow one it would be impossible to get the center of gravity of each log in the width of the grapple.

I can move stacks of 6 or 8 logs at once. If they have to go any distance at all, even a hundred yards, this is much faster than one at a time.

The other thing a wide grapple will do is make cutting firewood easier. I pick up the log and hold it over the bed of a pickup. Someone in the truck saws off 16" lengths. With a 6' grapple and a 20' tree, I have to move because the sections no longer fall into the truck before I have to move due to unbalance.

I must disagree with your assumptions about narrow versus wide grapples. There is essentially no difference in what you can get into the grapple as that is controlled only by the opening width which is the same for narrow or wide grapples of the same design. In fact you could carry more logs with a narrow grapple as the grapple weight would be less so net carrying capacity would be higher.

Regarding the balance of the load, that needs to be centered regardless of the grapple width. The width of the grapple really has nothing to do with balance. I wouldn't want to travel with 2/3 of a heavy load off center in any situation. Grasping and holding logs securely is really not an issue with a 48 inch grapple. I can use mine as a saw buck just as well.

From my perspective, the benefit of a wide grapple is primarily for construction clean up where you benefit from being able to scrape up a larger area in a single scoop. For brush or tree work I just don't see any real benefit and there are downsides such as excess weight, less manuverability and less ability to focus your lift/breakout power in a small area not to mention higher acquisition cost.

Regarding the comparison of a stump bucket/grapple to a regular grapple, I think the stump buckets are rather specialized tools and don't see the utility for someone who is really looking for more general purpose grapple work. I think the idea that 1/2 inch tines are necessarily better than 3/8 is a rather narrow and misguided notion....the real issue is whether the grapple is well designed, well built and whether you use it correctly. Do you insist on 1/2 sides to your standard bucket?

I have a 280lb 3/8 inch light duty grapple that has stood up to everything my 5000 lb+ 40hp tractor with 2700lb lift loader can throw at it. The Markham light duty (not what I have) is the best deal out there right now and while it can be ordered in a "standard" 1/2 inch version if you really want, the extra steel will lower lift capacity and cost you more.