F-550 Ford 6.4 Diesel

/ F-550 Ford 6.4 Diesel #1  

SouthernX

Silver Member
I would like to hear any opinions you may have on Ford's 6.4 diesel and / or 2008 F-550s. I am thinking of trading in my F-250 and purchasing an F-550. Ford has some great rebates right now on 2008 diesel Super-Dutys. Before I buy I want to try and found out as much as I can so I'll be happy with the truck. If I buy the F-550 I plan on keeping it for a long time.

I've negotiated a good price with a dealer but I'm still holding back at this point. Seems like some people are having little or no problems while others seem to be having lots of problems. I talked to a guy today who drives for a living and said everyone he knows with a 6.4 has had nothing but problems and he wouldn't touch one. Mind you, he drives a Dodge with a Cummins 5.9. :) He swears the 5.9 is a much better motor that will out pull the 6.4 and is much more reliable.

I would be using it to pull fairly heavy loads of up to 15+K pounds. Will the F-550 stand up to pulling that kind of what on a regular basis? I know the F-550 is rated to pull that kind of weight. But being rated to do it vs. doing it on a regular basis and not falling apart are two different things. I suppose the alternative is something like a Freightliner 70 or similar but I'm not sure I want to get into that. I'm not sure I would want to give up the comfort of the F-550 for the more semi-like FL70 (though I suppose for lots of pulling the FL70 probably is a superior choice).

/ F-550 Ford 6.4 Diesel #2  
I've only heard that it is thirsty. Mainly due to pollution control stuff. The ford diesel boards will give you more insight.

/ F-550 Ford 6.4 Diesel #3  
The fire Dept. I work for has (3 ) F- 350s with the 6.4 diesel. We put 50,000 + miles on each per year. Had almost zero problems with these. The 6.0s they replaced put the capitol "C" in crap. I was a Ford powerstroke buyer from way back and the 6.0 made me (and about half of Fords diesel business) a Dodge buyer. So to get back to your post, Yes 6.4 is a good engine, but the other reply was right.... they are thirsty.
Jack

/ F-550 Ford 6.4 Diesel
[ snip...] So to get back to your post, Yes 6.4 is a good engine, but the other reply was right.... they are thirsty.
Jack

The truck has the High Capacity Tow package that have 4.88's in the rear-end. The 4.30's would probably be my first choice to help increase MPG but at this late stage just finding an 2008 F-550 crew cab on a lot is a challenge, let alone finding one configured exactly as you would like.

/ F-550 Ford 6.4 Diesel #5  
Fuel may be cheap now, but don't bank on it lasting. Off shore drilling will shortly be curtailed and prices driven up so usage will drop. All part of the plan.

Neither the 4.3 or 4.88 will make you think you are driving a Geo Metro. Probably neither one will be into double digits for economy either, except when driven at 55 mph empty.

jb

/ F-550 Ford 6.4 Diesel #6  
I have a 250 diesel with the 6.4L diesel. The gentleman with whom you spoke who operates the Cummins is not correct. The 6.4L diesel is an excellent engine. I have over 50 K on mine with zero issues. I know the Ford regional rep in my area well, and the motor has proven trustworthy and has offered good service. My only source of frustration is that Ford abandons good engines too soon. As you know, due to their falling out with Navistar, and other reasons, they will be producing the 6.7L diesel in conjunction with Range Rover in 2011 model year. Realistically, I would not consider one of those until 2012, so one might as well just get something now. The opinion that Ford will magically not be able to service these machines after 2011 is not true; they obviously can still service the 7.3L, whose last production year was 2003. I have had debates with others on the forum about the 6.4L engine and Ford trucks. There are other alternatives in this weight range (such as the GM product--which I like a lot), but in the 3/4 ton range which I own, after much research I felt Ford offered the best overall truck, from frame to suspension and powertrain. This is not to say that other companies do not make good trucks, or that they do not have areas where they are competitive or perhaps have an edge, just that the total package from Ford is tough to beat. It seems the thirst from these diesels has a lot to do with the gearing (higher numerical gears, lower ratio do worse) and whether one has an early production engine, as I did. My 6.4L got about 14 mpg in combination driving, about 17 on the highway unloaded and about 11-12 when pulling my tractor, which at the time was around 10-11K (an estimate). My trailer salesman, who has a 450 with 4.30 gears (I think) gets only 12 empty but can pull a load of trailers and only drop to 10 mpg. My mileage improved by over 1 mpg v. the above numbers when I had the program updated as per a Fo Mo Co recommendation. The truck also seemed more powerful after this, so it might be worth it to ensure you have the updated tune on your truck. In short, each of the diesel trucks offered right now are good, albeit complicated, but I would have NO reservations about the 6.4L diesel. It is a good engine and has proven both powerful and reliable. My only concern is that I wish Ford would stop remaking the diesel every two or three years when they do not have to.

John M

/ F-550 Ford 6.4 Diesel #7  
One more thing, with regard to the performance characteristic between the 5.9 Cummins and the 6.4L Ford from your OP, this statement is also "loose on fact" made by the gentleman with whom you spoke. The Cummins is an excellent engine, and probably does have a slightly longer service life (pre-DPF) than either the Powerstroke or the Duramax. With regard to power, the only way a 5.9L would be competitive with either the new PS or DM is to be modified. Granted, many diesel enthusiasts out there have really tuned up their 5.9 L engines and are making big power, but they did not come factory that way. Stock for stock, the 6.7L Cummins would be a closer match performance wise to the 6.4L and the DM. My close friend has a DM in his GMC 2500, and its performance both empty and loaded is almost identical to my truck. We also get within 1/2 mpg towing similar loads. My truck weighes nearly 1000 pounds more than his, and I have one less gear in the tranny, so the engine must be making some power to achieve this equality. In my review of most of the diesel performance articles and personal experience, I would say the current crop of diesel engines are within 1%+/- in performance. The main difference then becomes which dealer you like and from where the better deal comes.

John M

/ F-550 Ford 6.4 Diesel #8  
I was surfing the Peterbilt and Kenworth sites tonight and they had a tab for "Paccar Engines." This piqued my curiosity and I noticed they are offering two inline 6's in the USA. One is a 6.7l and the other is a 8.3l. What I found interesting when I read the owner's manual for the 6.7l engine it had Cummins listed in a few illustrations. Is this the same 6.7l Cummins Dodge now offers; but rebadged with the Paccar label? They offer numerous horsepower and torque options. http://www.peterbilt.com/pdf/PX6FullSpecs.pdf

I also noticed on Paccar's web site that they offer larger Paccar engines in Europe.

If this is the same engine as the Dodge, wouldn't it be something if Ford were able to work out a deal to install Paccar/Cummmins motors in their pickups.

Peterbilt - Engines

/ F-550 Ford 6.4 Diesel #9  
Sure does look like the same engine (6.7L medium duty Cummins) to me.

John M